{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 10/11 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Newport County  
1 - 0
 Mansfield Town
Rose 62. Sent off: Bignot 90+3.
 Sent off: Parker 70.
Attendance: 2,713 (220 from Mansfield)
Date: 18 September 2010


Martin Shaw at Spytty Park

In the first ever match between two sides managed by twin brothers, it was Dean Holdsworth's Newport County that came out on top thanks a magnificent strike from the edge of the box on 62 minutes. Apart the goal, there was very little to choose between the two sides, even after Mansfield were reduced to ten men when Keigan Parker punched Chris Todd in the face with 20 minutes left. The Stags had two shots cleared off the line and were unfortunate not to claim a point.

The Stags lined up in a 4-4-2 formation as Adam Smith replaced the injured Luke Medley, in the only change from the win at Southport. Istead played on the right and Adam Smith on the left of midfield.

On a gloriously sunny afternoon in South Wales, many Stags fans only arrived at the ground shortly before kick off, having been held up on the M1 near Nottingham following an accident.

Both sides played neat football in the opening stages. Within the first four minutes there was promise for the Stags as Sandwith played a couple of good balls forward, one from a free-kick onto Connor’s head.

But there was no goalmouth action until the 16th minute. A good move for the Stags, as Connor found Silk who squared to Nix, slightly on the right on the edge of the box, and Nix curled a left footed effort towards the top left corner, but it was a relatively easy save for former Stags loan keeper from more than 10 years ago Glyn Thompson. Then Newport’s first chance on 18 minutes, as Foley fired over after a good move.

The closest either side came was on 29 minutes when hotshot striker Craig Reid turned in the box and sent a left-footed shot against the left post, with Marriott beaten. The Stags responded with their best chance on 32 minutes as Adam Smith clipped a shot over the keeper from 6 yards but it was just cleared off the line. No Stags players claimed the ball was over the line and they were better positioned than us.

An excellent block by Gary Mills on 45 minutes from Morgan’s shot, and a minute later Henry fired over the bar from 20 yards.

Half time 0-0

It was a good first half but very few chances for either side, with only Reid’s shot against the post and Adam Smith’s effort cleared off the line, going close.

Keigan Parker replaced Lee Gregory at the start of the second half.

Marriott was almost in trouble in the first minute of the second half as he fumbled a cross with Reid prowling, but was able to get it at the second attempt. Then a minute later, Newport played the ball out to the right and Reid’s first time cross-shot was saved low down by Marriott.

The Stags were so nearly in front in 49 minutes when Adam Smith cut inside from the left and sent a piledriver arrowing towards the roof of the net, but Thompson tipped it over with a brilliant save. A good move from Newport on 57 minutes as they swept the ball out to the left and Morgan curled a shot over the bar. Then on 59 minutes, Istead did well to charge the ball down on the right. He fed Nix who cut inside and sent a left footed shot wide of the post. It was a good chance for Nix.

Newport took the lead on 62 minutes with a spectacular goal A rare corner for the home side from the left hand side was played to the edge of the box and the Mansfiled defence was asleep, allowing Rose to steal in totally unchallenged and belt an unstoppable shot into the top left hand corner of the net via a slight deflection. It was as hard a shot as you’ll ever see and must have nearly taken the netting with it. The home crowd went wild and fans were looking at each other in astonishment at the ferocity of the strike from Rose, which 99 times out of a 100 would have probably ended up on the road behind the running track.

Reid sent a shot acrobatically wide on 64 minutes. On 66 minutes Briscoe replaced Adam Smith who’d probably been the Stags’ best player.

But on 70 minutes the Stags were down to 10 men. A ball was played forward for Parker to run on to and he got goal-side of his defender, Todd, and both players went down in a heap. No foul was given and as the players got up, Parker punched Todd in the face leaving the referee no choice but to give him a red card. It was a moment of madness from Parker and the fans will not forgive him in a hurry especially as he’ll now miss three games.

The Stags reorganised into a 4-3-2 formation with Briscoe moving from midfield to up front. On 77 minutes, Chris Smith was unhappy at not being given a penalty as he went down in the Newport box and he continued to argue with the ref for quite some time. But it looked innocuous to me.

Excellent play from Briscoe on 78 minutes with a great turn 22 yards from goal and he then curled a fine shot with his left foot just past the left post. On 82 minutes, it looked like the Stags would equalise. Istead crossed from the right hand side to the far post where Connor headed the ball back to Nix, just inside the box, and his shot beat the keeper but was cleared off the line. It was so close for Mansfield.

Duffy replaced Istead on 85 minutes. On 89 minutes, Nix’s corner from the left was headed back to him by a Newport player and his cross was headed a foot over the bar by Foster.

In the third minute of stoppage time Bignott fouled Nix in the Mansfield half and received a second yellow card to be sent off. The Stags had one final chance to get a deserved equaliser in the 5th minutes of stoppage time when Briscoe made progress down the left and his shot was deflected over the bar when he should have squared the ball for Connor who was unmarked. After the game Briscoe said that he should’ve looked up and seen Connor but he didn’t.

At the final whistle, the home side and the fans were delighted to have won the game, celebrating wildly. The two managers hugged, but the bragging rights were with Dean thanks to a wondergoal that was fit to win any game.

The Stags will be looking to bounce straight back at home to York on Tuesday night at Field Mill. Come on Mansfield!

Man of the match: Adam Smith

Report by: Martin Shaw at Spytty Park

Line Up:
Marriott 6 Surprisingly quiet afternoon. Absolutely no chance with the goal.
Silk 6 Defended ok. Got forward on a couple of occasions, but not as much as normal.
Foster 7 Solid, alongside Chris Smith.
Chris Smith 7 Defended well.
Sandwith 6 Started well with good distribution, but went distribution downhill after that. Defended ok.
Istead 6 Tackled hard. Did ok.
Mills 6 Did ok.
Nix 7 Decent game. Three efforts on goal, unlucky with one cleared off the line.
Adam Smith 7 One of the better players and unlucky with a couple of shots.
Gregory 5 Anonymous. Replaced at the break.
Connor 6 Tried hard, but not given enough good service.
Sub Line Up:
Parker (for Gregory, 46) 4 Deservedly sent off. Should be docked two weeks wages.
Briscoe (for Adam Smith, 63) 7 Lively, caused the home defence problems.
Duffy (for Istead, 82) - Not on long enough to make a difference against his former club.
Subs Not Used: Naylor, Collett.
Opposition Line Up:
Thompson, Bignot, Warren, Todd, John, Collins, Rose, Henry, Morgan (Knights 58), Reid (Odhiambo 80), Foley (Matthews 58). Subs Not Used: Rogers, Garner.
Kevin Johnson (Somerset) 7 Handled a difficult game well and got most decisions right.

Season 10/11 Reports