{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 0910 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Premier
Mansfield Town  
4 - 2
 Salisbury City
Challinor 30, Shaw 37, Perry 75, Duffy 90+5.
 Connolly 38, Adelsbury 90+2.
Attendance: 2842 (38 from Salisbury)
Date: 6 March 2010

Martin Shaw and Neil Shaw at Field Mill


Mansfield Town beat Salisbury 4-2 in a highly entertaining game at Field Mill this afternoon. The Stags went two ahead in the first half with goals from Jon Challinor and Jon Shaw, the latter a header from a superb cross by the rampant Louis Briscoe. But Salisbury pulled a bizarre goal back before half time. After Marriott made a fabulous save from former Stag Darrell Clarke, Stags sub Kyle Perry restored the two goal advantage after a great run by Gary Mills on 75 minutes. Salisbury made it 3-2 in stoppage time with a deflected goal, before Rob Duffy made it 4-2 after more good work by Briscoe. Possibly the most entertaining game of the season at Field Mill which makes it all the more bizarre that one fan chose to throw his season ticket at manager David Holdsworth at half time leading to the Stags manager refusing to come out for a post match interview.

The Stags made one enforced change from the side that drew with Luton, as Brough started in place of the injured Jones. Before the game there was a minute’s applause for former Stags assistant manager Keith Alexander, who passed away this week at the age of just 53.

The Stags started brightly and on 2 minutes a good move and Briscoe charged down the right and crossed for Duffy who headed just wide. It was closer than the Stags came in 90 minutes against Luton. On 5 minutes a bad back-pass by Brough but he was rescued by Nicholas. On 8 minutes a Tubbs free kick from 25 yards was just wide of the left post. There was an incredible passage of play on 13 minutes culminating in Shaw’s shot across the face of goal and then Briscoe’s cross put behind for a corner by keeper Bittner. A minute later a ball over the top nearly put Shaw in but Bittner just got it first. On 28 minutes, Duffy went down in the box, but the referee rightly waved play on.

It was 1-0 on 30 minutes. There was scramble and the ball came out to Challinor on the edge of the box who blasted a low shot at goal that took a slight deflection and went through the keeper’s legs into the net.

A minute later, Marriott’s accurate ball the over top found Duffy who superbly chested it down and his low shot was brilliantly saved by Bittner who turned it round for a corner.

On 37 minutes it was 2-0. Briscoe made a great run down the right to the byeline, and his cross was perfect for Jon Shaw to head in from 5 yards. It was such a good cross, it seemed impossible to miss.

Field Mill was stunned a minute later as Salisbury pulled a goal back in bizarre circumstances. Darrell Clarke’s free kick into the box was a poor one, but eventually it hit a Salisbury player in the face and was heading into the net when Marriott did well to tip it onto the post. But as the ball rolled along the goalline there was no Stags defender in sight and Connolly tapped into the empty net as time stood still. Salisbury players didn’t even celebrate the goal.

In remaining minutes of the half there were no more chances. But some the home fans suddenly got on the players’ backs which was not what was needed.

A decent first half for Mansfield and a deserved lead at the break.

Half time 2-1

Kyle Nix replaced the injured Challinor at the start of the second half. There was a scare for Mansfield in the first minute as Bush’s long throw was allowed to bounce in the Mansfield box as Marriott stayed rooted to his line and Tubbs headed over, unmarked at the far post. On 48 minutes, Duffy headed straight at the keeper from a Mills cross.

On 55 minutes, Briscoe embarked on a brilliant run from well inside own half, past Clarke, to the edge of the box and his cross-shot was past the left post. It was inspirational play that got the crowd going. On 57 a Nicholas long throw was flicked on by Duffy just past the right post. Briscoe went close again on 58 minutes as a poor free kick from Mills, came out to Briscoe who turned and curled a left footed shot just past the left post.

Kyle Perry replaced Shaw on 66 minutes. Unlucky for Shaw for had played well and looked disappointed to be replaced. A minute later, a corner from Williams was headed just over by Brough.

With the Stags still just one goal ahead, Marriott made a fabulous save on 69 minutes, as a lucky ricochet fell to Clarke on the edge of the box and his shot was low and accurate and heading for the right corner before Marriott tipped it wide.

The Stags came so close to extending the lead on 71 minutes with another good Briscoe run and his cross found Nix in space near the penalty spot. Nix’s shot was low but somehow blocked on the line.

Sturrock replaced the ineffective Williams on 74 minutes, and on 75 minutes it was 3-1. Mills picked up the ball inside his own half, drove though the middle of the park, and in a two-on-one situation he dragged the defender wide, before finding the unmarked Kyle Perry with a perfect pass. Perry slotted his shot under the keeper into the net, and went to celebrate with Mills lifting him to the air to thank him for his unselfishness.

From the restart, Tubbs tried a shot from the centre spot, which Marriott held on his line underneath the crossbar.

On 78 minutes, Perry did well to keep the ball in on the byeline on the right, and slotted it back to Duffy whose chip at goal was easy for Bittner. Great play by Perry to Duffy and on to Sturrock on 84 minutes and Sturrock fell over as he headed for goal. On 88 minutes, Mills got the ball down line to Perry whose cross nearly found Duffy but was headed behind by a defernder to Duufy’s frustration.

Out of the blue, a minute into stoppage time Salisbury made it 3-2 as Adelsbury’s shot from the edge of box was deflected past Marriott who was wrong footed.

With two minutes of stoppage time left, it was suddenly and even more so as a minute later, Salisbury got the ball into the box and a header was straight at Marriott.

Three minutes into stoppage Sturrock played Briscoe through but his low shot was superbly saved by Bittner. Moments later a challenge by Adelsbury was Ryan Shawcross-like on Mills. Mills was lucky to get up and Adelsbury was lucky to escape with a yellow.

Five minutes into stoppage time (when only three had been signalled), Briscoe ran at the defence again and pulled the ball back to Duffy who rifled his shot into the top right corner via a deflection off the keeper. It was the final kick of the game. Bittner looked crestfallen and hardly deserved to concede four after a fine performance.

So a vital win for the Stags which keeps them in touch with the teams chasing the play-offs.

Man of the Match: Louis Briscoe

Report by: Martin Shaw and Neil Shaw at Field Mill

Line Up:
Marriott 8 One outstanding save, and excellent handling from crosses.
Silk 6 Distribution poor, but solid defending
Foster 8 Pick of the defence.
Brough 7 Very solid.
Nicholas 7 Some good attacking. Solid.
Briscoe 9 Outstanding, with many good runs deep into the box and good crosses
Mills 8 Excellent. Class performance, sensible distribution. Set up Perry’s goal beautifully.
Challinor 6 Solid performance. Took his goal well.
Williams 5 Disappointing. Did little right and lost the ball on occasion.
Duffy 7 Won a lot of headers, and deserved his goal at the end.
Shaw 7 Unlucky to be subbed. Used the ball sensibly. Also deserved his goal.
Sub Line Up:
Nix (for Challinor, 46) 7.5 Impressive performance. Kept the ball on the floor. Made a big difference.
Perry (for Shaw, 66) - Took his chance well.
Sturrock (for Williams, 74) -
Subs Not Used: Collett, Somner.
Opposition Line Up:
Bittner, Bush (Ruddick 76), Cox (Flood 61), Bull, Martin, Turley, Anderson, Adelsbury, Clarke, Connolly (Gray 81), Tubbs. Subs Not Used: Pryce, Clohessy.
Billy Khatib (Tyne & Wear) 7 Handled the game well.

Season 0910 Reports