{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 0910 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Premier
Hayes & Yeading United  
1 - 1
 Mansfield Town
Binns 42.
 Silk 90
Attendance: 427 (approx 200 from Mansfield) (Lowest crowd to watch a Mansfield game in our history)
Date: 27 February 2010


Martin Shaw at Church Road

Mansfield Town went in to their first ever match at Hayes and Yeading with the news that they will lose 6 points gained against Chester this season, fresh in their ears from Friday. So instead of being two points behind the play-offs, we were suddenly effectively seven points behind the play-offs once the Football Conference update the table. On the back of this, the game had become a must-win game. But sadly the players put in a poor performance and after a terrible first half error by Gary Silk had gifted Hayes a lead just before half-time, it was Silk who rescued a point scrambling home from close range in the last minute after the Hayes keeper had fumbled Rob Duffy's header. The game was played in front of just 427 spectators - comfortably the lowest to watch a Mansfield Town game in our history since we joined the Football League in 1931, surpassing the 598 at Lewes last season.

A scrappy start to the game. On 6 minutes, Duffy crossed from the right and the keeper got there just before Perry. On 11 minutes, Binns crossed from the left and a shot from James was deflected over by Nix. From the resulting corner, Garner fluffed a clearance and Marriott had to save low down right on his line from a Hayes centre half. A half chance for Nix on 18 minutes but he scuffed his shot well wide. Mansfield had claims for a penalty on 21 minutes as Perry looked as though he was held back. Perry was then offside 3 times in quick succession as the frustration of Stags fans mounted. On 32 minutes, a shot from Binns was blocked by Silk.

A real scramble in the Stags box on 35 minutes. Binns put in a high cross from the left, which Marriott couldn't hold, and Marwa's close range effort was blasted away by Luke Foster. At the other end and a really terrible cross from Jon Shaw on 36 minutes. Hayes got the ball straight to the other end, and Marriott made a fine save from James' shot, after a fabulous run by James.

But the Stags were behind on 42 minutes after a terrible error. Mills played a square ball to Silk. Silk dallied on the ball and was dispossed by Binns, who played a one-two with Basham. Binns got the ball back and fired a low left-footed shot into the bottom right corner of the net, giving Marriott no chance. A catastrophic error by Silk who held his head in his hands.

Duffy's cross-shot was over the bar on 42 minutes, and three minutes into stoppage time, a Hayes defender cleared just past his own post from Jon Shaw's cross.

The Stags had so many free kicks from good positions in the first half, most were taken by Mills, with a couple by Nix, but all were wasted, as were the long throws. Good defending from the home side who had worked out where the Stags danger was going to come from.

Half time 1-0

Sturrock replaced the out-of-sorts Perry, and Williams replaced Nix, at the start of the second half. It seemed like the Stags were going to try to get back to playing it on the deck rather than relying on set pieces.

The Stags should have been awarded a penalty on 54 minutes. A free kick from Mills was headed on by Duffy to Jon Shaw. Shaw crossed the ball back into the middle but it was cut out by the outstretched arm of a Hayes defender. The video shows that it was a cast-iron penalty, but not given. Moments later, Andy Nicholas's long throw was completely missed by the keeper who was lucky to be awarded a foul. On 59 minutes, a Hayes free kick was straight at Marriott. Then on 61, Nicholas shot over from a tight angle. On 64 minutes, a throw-in from Nicholas was headed on and then headed onto the roof of his own net by a defender. Then on 68 minutes, a free kick for the Stags from 22 yards was driven into the wall by Williams, it was partially cleared out to Williams who now popped up on the left, and his cross was headed goalwards from point blank range by Challinor just 3 yards out, but the keeper made a terrific save.

Burgess replaced Challinor on 71 minutes, and a minute later Burgess had a shot deflected over. On 83 minutes, another claim for a Stags penalty. Nicholas's long throw was headed on and Jon Shaw seemed to be pushed over from behind, but play continued and Gary Mills had a weak side-foot shot that was easy for the keeper.

With a minute left, a Hayes corner was just cleared by the Stags as Basham tried to get on the end of it. A good break from the Stags involving several players, and eventually Nicholas got the ball out to Williams on the left. Williams cut back onto his right foot and crossed to the far post where Duffy headed goalwards. The keeper fumbled it and Gary Silk was quickest to react bundling the ball home from close range.

There wasn't enough time for the Stags to find a winner, and we wouldn't have deserved it either.

Man of the Match: Rob Duffy

Report by: Martin Shaw at Church Road

Line Up:
Marriott 6 Quiet afternoon, though a couple of good first half saves.
Silk 5 Uncharacteristically poor first half in which he made two bad errors, the second which gifted the Hayes goal. But recovered with grit to equalise.
Garner 6 Did ok.
Foster 6 Also ok.
Nicholas 6 Defended well against the dangerous Mulley and James.
Mills 5 So many set pieces, but failed to create danger.
Challinor 6 Unlucky with one close range header saved.
Nix 5 Didn't get a grip, and subbed at half time.
Shaw 6 Unlucky not to get penalty on two occasions.
Duffy 7 Won lots of headers. His header led to the goal.
Perry 4 Awful. Continually offside. Absolutely nothing went for him.
Sub Line Up:
Sturrock (for Perry, 46) 6 Didn't really get into the game.
Williams (for Nix, 46) 7 Brought some life to the second half, with some good crosses.
Burgess (for Challinor, 71) - Quiet.
Subs Not Used: Collett, Brough.
Opposition Line Up:
Masters (Overland 20), Cadmore, Ruby, Harris, Green, Mulley, Marwa, James (Stolcers 78), Binns, Cochrane, Basham. Subs Not Used: Canham, Little, Watkins.
Ian Cooper (Kent) 5 His replacement for the second half missed a couple of good shouts for Stags penalties.

Season 0910 Reports