{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 0910 Stagsnet Match Report
FA Cup 4th qualifying round
Mansfield Town  
3 - 0
Duffy 20, 27, Perry 60
Attendance: 2410 (203 from Altrincham)
Date: 24 October 2009


Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at Field Mill

Mansfield Town sent Altrincham packing in the FA Cup with a comprehensive 3-0 victory at Field Mill. The Stags were dominant in all areas throughout the entire 90 minutes, with Altrincham providing the worst opposition seen at Field Mill this season. Altrincham were unable to handle the Stags’ power up front from Duffy and Perry, or the pace provided by Dobson and Williams, and were overrun in midfield. Duffy scored twice midway through the first half, and from then on the result was not in doubt, with Perry adding a third in the second half, a just reward for a powerful man of the match display.

The Stags made two changes from the side that won at Eastbourne, with Dobson and Williams coming into the side as the two wide men in a 4-4-2 formation, with Istead and Speight dropping to the bench. After a morning of continuous rain, the match was played in pretty much bright sunshine with the wind having dropped and on a skiddy surface that manager Holdsworth described in his pre-match interview as a good footballing surface. Before the game a minute’s silence was observed impeccably for John Jarman (please see separate tribute on mansfieldtown.net and in programme for the Histon game) and the long-awaited new scoreboard was unveiled.

On 4 minutes, Tom Kearney was spoken to by the referee after intervention from the linesman. Kearney was later to be sent off. A minute later, the first chance of the game as Perry’s left footed shot from the edge of box was deflected over. From the resulting corner, Luke Jones headed over the bar. On 7 minutes, the Stags had an appeal for handball in the box, after Duffy headed-on a cross. The referee waved away Mansfield appeals for a penalty, presumably deciding it wasn’t deliberate. Altrincham were offering nothing going forward, until 16 minutes, when Luke Jones headed past his own post under pressure.

The Stags were ahead on 20 minutes. Duffy took a quick free kick from 25 yards playing the ball forward to Perry who muscled his way into the box on the left, and crossed high to the centre of the box, where Duffy rose high and wrong-footed the keeper with a header into the left of net. It was a great header from an awkward position. So pleased was Duffy that he ran towards the Altrincham bench and dived full length onto his front on the wet surface right in front of Altrincham manager Heathcote, who had apparently had a run-in with Duffy in the game two weeks ago.

On 23 minutes, an Altrincham free kick from 22 yards was well blocked by Ryan Williams.

The Stags were 2-0 ahead on 27 minutes thanks to a terrible mistake by keeper Stuart Coburn. Coburn dallied on the ball, Perry challenged for it, charging it down, and the loose ball fell for Duffy, who rounded the keeper to the left and slid the ball into an empty net with his left foot. This time Duffy celebrated in front of the West Stand sliding on his knees on the wet surface.

Altrincham were unable to handle the strength of Perry and he was at it again on 30 minutes, holding off defenders on the edge of the box, and firing just over the bar. On 34 minutes, an Atrincham corner from the left, found substitute Young (who had just come on) and he got in front of Luke Jones to head just wide. It was slack defending by the Stags centre half, and possibly Marriott should have come for it right inside his 6 yard box. On 44 minutes, Colin Little headed wide from a cross from the left.

A good half from the Stags, looking comfortable, and looking for a third goal to kill the tie off.

Half time 2-0

On 46 minutes, a great ball forward from Dobson who had cut inside, but it was just too far in front of Duffy, who seemed to have timed his run perfectly. On 54 minutes, a good run from Dobson down the left, and his cross was put behind for a corner. Dobson was in the action again on 56 minutes, but this time it was a mistake on the edge of his own box, as he was caught dallying on the ball, and an Atrincham cross into the middle, was well taken by Marriott. A minute later, Perry muscled his way into the box yet again, and his shot was half blocked and a defender cleared it as it slowly headed towards the net.

Speight replaced Duffy on 58 minutes, as the two-goal striker was given a standing ovation. On 59 minutes, Somner was well wide with a long range shot.

The Stags killed the game off on 60 minutes with the third goal. A good move as Dobson passed to Williams, who fed Perry on the left. The big striker took one touch forward, and his left foot shot was deflected past keeper Coburn into the net.

An Altrincham corner on 63 minutes was notable as the Stags left 3 players on the halfway line, forcing Altrincham to keep 4 defenders back. From the corner on the left by Doughty, Robbie Williams headed wide. Two minutes later, a terrific free kick by Doughty from the left somehow flew past everyone and just past the right post. It was beautifully described by my colleague Nigel Pinnick as a free kick into corridor of uncertainty. On 68 minutes, a great run by Jake Speight, and his left foot shot was just past the left post.

Istead replaced Dobson on 73 minutes. On 76, Speight kept the ball in play as a defender tried to shepherd it out, and crossed in front of goal where Williams went down under a challenge but it was never a penalty. Then Istead had a goalbound shot blocked. Straight to the other end, and a low shot was saved by Marriott. Then on 78, a good move by the Stags and Perry’s cross was cut out by Coburn with Speight waiting behind him.

On 79 minutes, Sturrock replaced Perry who received also a standing ovation. On 82 minutes, Ryan Williams shot from wide on the left, but it was straight into keeper Coburn’s arms. Two minutes later, Speight was brought down right on edge of the box in a central position. It was so close to a penalty though the free kick was taken two yards further back. Heckingbottom sent the kick well over the bar - a waste.

On 85 minutes Altrincham were rightly reduced to 10 men with a terrible challenge right in front of the Stags dugout. Tom Kearney went in with a late two-footed lunge straight through Gary Mills, who was lucky not to suffer serious injury. It was an easy decision for the referee who immediately brandished the red card. On 87 minutes Speight went down outside the box after being elbowed in the face in an off the ball incident not spotted by the officials and thus it went unpunished (we will be studying the DVD later with a view to pointing the incident out). A minute later Burns was booked for a terrible foul on Silk in front of the West Stand. A minute into stoppage time, Sturrock crossed from left, Williams played it back to Speight whose shot was blocked.

So a comfortable and satisfying win for Mansfield. The Stags players showed great restraint and discipline refusing to get drawn in as Altrincham came in with a succession of bad tackles. The Stags answer was to outplay them in every department earning a place in the first round proper. A thoroughly professional performance. We can look forward to the draw on Sunday lunchtime, and then Histon visit Field Mill next Saturday in a crucial league encounter. Come on Mansfield!

Man of the match: Kyle Perry

Report by: Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at Field Mill

Line Up:
Marriott 7 Some good handling. Comfortable game.
Silk 8 Very good. First to the ball every time.
Garner 7 Good game. Assured.
Jones 6 Did ok.
Heckingbottom 6 Low key but competent.
Dobson 7 Some good runs in the second half and gave a good account of himself.
Mills 7 Played well.
Somner 6 Put some passes astray but worked hard. Not one of his best performances.
Williams 7 Sponsor’s man of the match. Decent game.
Duffy 8 Tireless. In the right place at the right time for his goals. Won some great headers.
Perry 9 Immense performance. Finished the game in Terry Butcher mode swathed in bandages after a nasty collision of heads in the first half needing stitches for the first time in his career. Altrincham couldn’t handle his power as he muscled past defenders time and again. Deserved his deflected goal.
Sub Line Up:
Speight (for Duffy, 58) 7 A handful for the defence. Nearly won a penalty.
Istead (for Dobson, 73) - Slotted in well. Good going forward.
Sturrock (for Perry, 79) - Showed some good footballing touches. Deserves to start a game but difficult to find someone to drop.
Subs Not Used: Eley, Armstrong, Graham, Hotchkiss.
Opposition Line Up:
Coburn, Densmore, Smith, Williams, Doughty, Lawton (33mins), Danylyk (Bennett 80mins), Kearney, Clee (Welch 68mins), Little, Burns. Subs not used: Saunders, Thaker, Bryan.
Jake Collin 5 Too weak, and overly fussy. Did at least get the sending off of Kearney right.

Season 0910 Reports