{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 08/09 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Premier
Mansfield Town  
1 - 2
Sinclair 26.
 Mike Williams 31, Marc Williams 57.
Attendance: 2757 (529 from Wrexham)
Date: 18 October 2008


Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield Town fell to a fourth straight defeat today, at home to Wrexham. When the four points are deducted on Monday, the Stags will be one point above the relegation zone, and 11 points behind the final play-off place. It has been an astonishing period since that exhilarating win at Salisbury. Indeed just 15 days ago, the morning of the Woking match, we were in third place.

The Stags took the lead through the remarkable pace of on-loan striker Emile Sinclair, making his debut. But Wrexham equalised within 5 minutes as the other on-loan player making his debut Sam Wedgbury lost his marker from a corner. Wedgbury soon limped off with a possible broken leg. 1-1 was a fair reflection of the first half, but the Stags were very poor in the second half and Wrexham deserved their winner on 57 minutes after on-loan Max Chanot was barged off the ball too easily. The Stags now have only one league game in the next 27 days.

Highlights from the Stagsworld audio commentary of the home defeat to Wrexham, here

Manager Billy McEwan made five changes with Sinclair and Wedgbury making their debuts. Chanot was back from suspension, while Jeannin and Stallard also returned. Lee, Hurren and Somner all dropped to the bench, while O'Connor and O'Hare were out injured. Wrexham included former Stag Simon Brown but Jefferson Louis missed out with an injury.

The first real chance of the game came on 25 minutes. From a quickly taken free kick, Marc Williams turned Moses well in the box but Moses was able to deflect his shot over the bar.

From the resulting Wrexham corner the Stags took the lead! Arnold picked up the ball on the edge of his own area. He gave the ball away to Simon Brown, but Brown gave it straight back to him. Arnold made his way forward to the halfway line before slipping a ball forward for Sinclair to run on to. Wrexham sub Spann got there first but his attempted backpass was intercepted by the gazelle-like Sinclair who collected it, rounded the keeper and slotted it into the empty net.

But the lead lasted just 5 minutes. Another Wrexham corner from the right, taken by Baynes, was met by Mike Williams who rose above Wedgbury, to power home an unstoppable header from 8 yards.

Jeannin made a great tackle on 35 minutes after a mistake from a throw-in. On 38 minutes, Proctor missed a great chance, heading wide completely unmarked from 8 yards. Chanot was booked on 42 minutes, his fourth yellow in 2.5 games and saw him one yellow away from another suspension. Wedgbury then limped off to be replaced by Hurren. On 44 minutes, Arnold fed Silk on the overlap and Silk’s cross-cum-shot was just wide of the far post.

Half time 1-1

After 50 minutes, a great chance for the Stags to re-take the lead. D’Laryea squared for Silk, who found Arnold on the right. Arnold found Hurren who shot just past the right post.

But Wrexham were ahead on 57 minutes. Marc Williams received the ball on the by-line, he cut back inside and Chanot seemed to be favourite to clear the ball. But Chanot was barged off the ball too easily, Williams cut inside and fired a left footed shot past Gamble from 6 yards.

Gamble produced a brilliant left handed save on 79 minutes as Spann found Baynes, who crossed for Proctor whose drive was heading for the right corner of the net until Gamble intervened.
Blackwood fired in a good shot at the keeper from 30 yards after 80 minutes. On 81 minutes, Robinson replaced Chanot as the Stags went 3-4-3. A minute later the Stags had appeals for a penalty turned down as Hurren’s flick from a left wing cross struck Taylor's hand. It looked a clear penalty from the press box. On 88 minutes Robinson was tackled by Taylor just as he was about to shoot. That was the last chance to rescue a point despite six minutes of stoppage time being played.

Man of the match: Gary Silk

Report by: Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Line Up:
Gamble 7 Couldn't be blamed for the goals. Made one fabulous save from Proctor. Good game.
Silk 8 Another excellent performance. Defended very well with good tackles and pushed forward effectively.
Moses 6 Defended ok.
Chanot 5 Badly at fault for second goal. Also picked up fourth booking in three games. Gives away too many free kicks, though looks composed on the ball.
Jeannin 6 Did ok.
Arnold 5 Frustrating performance again.
Wedgbury 6 So unlucky to pick up nasty injury. Looked comfortable in midfield. But from studying the video, it's clear he lost his marker for the first goal.
D'Laryea 5 Created nothing going forward. Looks lost when he gets to the edge of the opposition penalty area.
Blackwood 5 Just can't seem to find his early season form. One good shot from distance, but set piece delivery not good enough today.
Stallard 6 Held the ball up well as always, and never gave the ball away. Simply got no service in the box at all. Give him chances and he'll score.
Sinclair 8 Showed remarkable pace. Great finish for the goal. Was involved in most of the Stags (few) dangerous moments.
Sub Line Up:
Hurren (for Wedgbury, 42) 5 Poor game. Did at least have one effort on goal, but shot wide.
Lee (for Stallard, 61) 5 Added nothing to the attack. Nullified by the even taller Wrexham sub Evans. Poor half hour.
Robinson (for Chanot, 81) - Nearly fashioned a chance on 88 minutes.
Subs Not Used: Knight, Somner.
Opposition Line Up:
Ward, Tremarco (Spann 23), Mike Williams (Aiston 77), Westwood, Baynes, Taylor, Mackin, Allen, Simon Brown (Steve Evans 65), Proctor, Marc Williams. Subs Not Used: Kearney, Anthony Williams.
P Curry (Essex) 7 Had a good game, though missed a penalty for the Stags.

Season 08/09 Reports