{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 06/07 Stagsnet Match Report
Coca Cola League 2
Swindon Town  
2 - 0
 Mansfield Town
Corr 4, Hjelde OG 37
Attendance: 10,472 (131 from Mansfield)
Date: 21 April 2007


Martin Shaw and Svante Bernhard at the County Ground

Mansfield Town fell to another defeat this afternoon, this time at the County Ground, losing 2-0 to a Swindon side chasing promotion. The Stags were behind after just 4 minutes when Corr scored after Lee Peacock hit a post. Swindon hit the post twice again before Jon-Olav Hjelde headed into his own net on 37 minutes to make it 2-0. In truth the Stags could have been further behind at the break. The second half was very even, but the Stags couldn't find the net and the game petered out to a 2-0 defeat, which means the Stags have taken 2 points from 8 games, and still need a point to be certain of avoiding relegation after Wrexham, Boston and Bury all won today. The Stags however will be safe if Wrexham fail to win away at play-off chasing Shrewsbury on Tuesday night.

The injury crisis at Field Mill continued to bite hard as out went injured Hamshaw and Dawson from the side that lost to Rochdale. Also missing was Hodge who had returned to Blackburn, and Muggleton who was dropped. In came Chris Wood, Danny Sleath and Simon Brown along with Jason White. It was a 4-5-1 formation with Michael Boulding surprisingly in left midfield. On the bench were youngsters Jamie McGhee and Lewis Trimmer, along with Arnold and Rory Boulding. It was very surprising that Arnold and Rory Boulding were not in the starting 11 at the expense of Wood and Sleath.

The Stags were under the cosh from the start. The defence looked shaky and the midfield unable to get a grip, as Swindon went ahead on 4 minutes. Christian Roberts took a free-kick from 30 yards, which was blocked. It fell to Blair Sturrock who smashed a shot against the left post. The ball rebounded to Lee Peacock who crossed it back in for Corr to score from close range.

The Stags lived dangerously as chances went begging and the woodwork came to the Stags rescue on two further occasions, as Corr was denied on both occasions. If ever I have seen a game of men against boys, then the first half an hour of this game was it. The Stags looked like frightened rabbits.

On 37 minutes it was 2-0. A corner came in from the right by Zaaboub. Hjelde, possibly mindful of his late mistake against Rochdale last weekend, made sure he got in front of his striker, but could only head the ball into his own net, under pressure from Corr.

At last the Stags had a meaningful chance on 43 minutes as White’s long punt was headed goalwards by Conlon, only for the keeper to tip it over the bar.

Half time 2-0

Mansfield started the second half a lot better than they played in the first.Conlon controlled a ball on the edge of the box and shot wide, the Baptiste put in a great cross from the left and Conlon headed at the keeper. On the hour Conlon had a snap shot from the edge of the box which was parried wide by the keeper. Straight away, Dearden switched to a 4-4-2 formation putting Michael Boulding up front, Brown to the right and Sleath on the left.

There was a horrible moment on 67 minutes when Sleath produced an absurd challenge to give away a needless free kick near the corner flag. I noticed Dearden turn away in disgust. The free kick was headed wide. Five minutes later a comedy moment when Mullins fouled Roberts, who in turn brought down the linesman. It wasn’t so funny for Mullins though as he received a yellow card. Arnold then replaced Wood. Arnold went to the left, and Sleath to the middle.

There was little more goalmouth action. On 83 minutes, young Jamie McGhee replaced Conlon, and
Rory Boulding replaced his brother Michael. McGhee went to right midfield, while Rory Boulding and Brown went up front.

The game ended with Swindon fans invading the pitch, but with MK Dons winning, they will have to wait a little longer to confirm promotion.

Mansfield 103.2 commentary team Martin Shaw, Jamie Walker and Steve Hartshorn.

Man of the match: Alex John-Baptiste (pictured below after the game with Stagsnet's Statistical Previewer Svante Bernhard aka Sweden Stag, photo by Martin Shaw)

Report by: Martin Shaw and Svante Bernhard at the County Ground

Line Up:
White 6 No chance with the goals. Dealt competently with crosses.
Kitchen 6 Difficult afternoon against a rampant Swindon attack.
Hjelde 5 Poor game. A little unlucky with the own goal.
Baptiste 8 Excellent throughout.
Mullins 5 Had a nightmare at left back against Christian Roberts on the Swindon right wing.
Brown 5 Spent too much time complaining, and contributed little.
Wood 5 Did little and never got a grip on the game. Looked out of his depth.
Lloyd 6 Started the game with a limp but later seemed to run it off. Did ok in midfield.
Sleath 5 Looked totally out of his depth in his first start. It looked like men against boys when he was near the ball, unfortunately.
M.Boulding 5 Disappointing.
Conlon 7 Difficult role on his own up front, but still managed two decent headers that troubled the keeper and one fine shot, as well as some good flick-ons.
Sub Line Up:
Arnold (for Wood, 70) 6 Looked very lively when he came on. Why didn't he start?
McGhee (for Conlon, 83) - Debut. Little chance to get into the game.
R.Boulding (for M.Boulding, 83) -
Subs Not Used: Muggleton, Trimmer.
Opposition Line Up:
Smith, Westwood, Nicholas, Vincent, Ifil, Roberts (Brown 80), Peacock, Pook, Zaaboub (Timlin 84), Corr, Sturrock (Jutkiewicz 73). Subs Not Used: Grimes, Gnakpa.
K Stroud (Hampshire) 8 Handled the game well.

Season 06/07 Reports