{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 06/07 Stagsnet Match Report
Coca-Cola League 2
Mansfield Town  
0 - 1
 Hartlepool United
 Monkhouse 74
Attendance: 3531 (628 from Hartlepool)
Date: 1 January 2007


Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield Town were beaten 1-0 at Field Mill this afternoon by a Hartlepool side that chalked up a ninth successive victory. But the Stags were the better team and were cruelly beaten by a dubious penalty decision. Jason White saved the penalty and the resultant follow-up, but the second rebound fell to Andy Monkhouse who headed in. The Stags are now just one point above the drop sign, albeit with games in hand. Given the quality of the performances over the Christmas break, it is a ridiculous position to be in, but the table doesn’t lie and that is the situation. With no game for a fortnight, it is certainly an uncomfortable position.

Billy Dearden made one change from the side that played in the abandoned game at Accrington with Hamshaw in for Arnold on the right side of midfield. There was still no place in the 16 for Reet, who was sitting behind us in the West Stand.

Richie Barker played against the team that it is speculated he will be joining this month. Before the game, he told Mansfield 103.2 that he did not want to leave, but that he does not know what is happening. After the game, he said much the same, hinting that he thought the decision would be made at a level above the manager.

The first action was on 6 minutes when Buxton was outpaced, but a Hartlepool cross was cleared for corner. The corner was cleared not once but twice by Barker. The Stags went straight to the far end where Boulding looked offside but no flag was raised and he ran through for a one-on-one but Clark got back well and tackled. On 11 minutes a mistake by Baptiste allowed a Hartlepool break but Jelleyman did well to clear. At this point, the Hartlepool fans chanted “one Richie Barker, there’s only one Richie Barker.”

On 15 minutes a cross from Brown had keeper Konstantopoulos scrambling to clear for a corner. From Hamshaw’s corner, Barker headed harmlessly over. On 17 minutes, Barker was clear down the right, he crossed over Boulding and it fell to Brown, whose low shot was saved by the diving keeper. A fine Hartlepool move involving fine one-touch football ended with Monkhouse firing just over.

On 25 minutes Jelleyman was punished harshly for a foul. Humphreys’ free kick from 20 yards was well blocked by Barker.

On 29 minutes the Stags should have taken the lead. From Hamshaw’s pass, Boulding was clean through and his left footed shot from just inside the box was across the keeper but inches past the right post. Boulding held his head in his hands, it was a glorious chance.

On 36 minutes the Stags were so close again. This time Mullins’s cross was deflected by defender Liddle towards his own net but the keeper made a good save. Soon after, Boulding was through on the left with a tight angle and he produced a brilliant shot which was again well saved. Hamshaw was fouled just outside the box but the referee amazingly waved play on. On 41 minutes, Jelleyman crossed from the left and Barker was unmarked but headed straight at the keeper. Then on 44 minutes Hamshaw’s fine corner was headed just over by Buxton.

Half time 0-0

The Stags had played really well for the final 30 minutes of the half, dominating against a side full of confidence following 8 successive wins. Hamshaw and Mullins were impressive linking together on the right, but Jelleyman had really shone at left back. Boulding’s miss on 29 minutes was the main talking point at half-time.

Early in the second half, Hartlepool were on the attack but Jelleyman produced a superb tackle for a corner. The rain started to lash down, and on 52 minutes Jon Daly replaced Williams for Pool. Daly has been the subject of speculation of a swap deal with Barker.

On 55 minutes, a good Stags move ended when Jelleyman’s cross flicked off Barker for a goalkick. The Stags were under a little pressure at this stage but the only chance they had to show for it was Monkhouse’s shot fully 10 yards over the bar.

There was controversy on 61 minutes when a good Stags move involving Coke and Boulding saw Boulding fouled, but the ball ran for Brown, totally unmarked on the edge of the box. But the referee played no advantage, and pulled it back for the foul. The free kick by Hamshaw was wasted.

On 65 minutes, another good Stags move, the ball fell to Coke who struck a vicious low shot from the edge of the box, but the keeper saved low down. A yard either side of the keeper and it would have been in. On 67 minutes, Jelleyman’s free-kick from a central position 30 yards out, was floated forward, eventually it fell to Buxton who crossed for Mullins who headed over.

On 71 minutes, a fine Hartlepool move ended with a shot deflected wide by his own player. Two minutes later, Barker charged down the right and his cross found Boulding whose shot was into the ground and saved by the keeper.

But on 74 minutes came the moment that changed the game. Daly got into the Stags box and went down under a challenge from Coke. It looked like Coke got the ball and certainly did not look like a penalty, although it was perhaps an unwise and rash challenge. The referee pointed to the spot to the amazement of Stags players. The ref was immediately surrounded by the players but it would make no difference. Daly’s penalty was low and White got down to his left to make a fine save. As Daly turned away with his head in his hands, the ball squirmed away from White, and Duffy followed up to shoot into White’s face. It was another good block by the Stags keeper but the ball rebounded again to Monkhouse who headed home from two yards. Unbelievable good luck for the visitors.

On 76 minutes, Jelleyman’s shot from 35 yards was just a yard wide of the right post.

Arnold replaced Boulding on 81 minutes.

On 90 minutes, Arnold crossed and Barker got on the end of it, but could only head at the keeper. Then three minutes into stoppage time, a great cross from Arnold was back-heeled towards goal by Simon Brown, but the keeper saved.

So the game ended in defeat. The Stags were very unlucky. The penalty summed up the day. But also it was a day when Stags created many chances but most of the efforts flew straight the Hartlepool keeper instead of either side of him. Two weeks for the Stags to lick their wounds and come back fighting. Come on Mansfield!

Man of the match: Gareth Jelleyman

Report by: Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Line Up:
White 7 Quiet game, then produced a penalty save but was so unlucky.
Mullins 7 Did ok in defence. Linked well with Hamshaw going forward.
Baptiste 7 Defended well throughout.
Buxton 7 Good performance.
Jelleyman 8 His best game for a while. Particularly impressive in the first half.
Hamshaw 7 Put in some good crosses and looked dangerous.
D'Laryea 6 Did ok.
Coke 7 Unlucky with one fine shot from distance. Did well in midfield.
Brown 6 Too quiet early on but did ok after that.
M.Boulding 7 Good pace throughout and created lots of danger. Disappointed not to score with a one-on-one.
Barker 7 Outstanding in defence, winning around 8 headers from Hartlepool corners. A few chances at the other end. Wholehearted performance as always.
Sub Line Up:
Arnold (for M.Boulding, 81) -
Subs Not Used: Muggleton, Hjelde, Beardsley, Lloyd.
Opposition Line Up:
Konstantopoulos, Humphreys, Clark, Liddle, Barron, Monkhouse (Darren Williams 90), Boland, Sweeney, Eifion Williams (Daly 52), Brown, Duffy. Subs Not Used: Bullock, Provett, Foley.
Ray Lee 5 Too trigger happy. On one occasion he blew for a foul when Brown was completely unmarked on the edge of the box.

Season 06/07 Reports