{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 06/07 Stagsnet Match Report
Coca-Cola League 2
Mansfield Town  
0 - 2
 Pugh 18, Hurst 51.
Attendance: 2597 (193 from Bury)
Date: 09 December 2005


Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield Town put in a woeful second half display at Field Mill this afternoon to go down to a terrible 2-0 defeat against Bury. It really hurts to lose to a team that are rubbish, and despite what I've seen elsewhere, I thought Bury were rubbish. The Stags started brightly and Carl Muggleton didn't touch the ball until 15 minutes, but on 18 minutes he was picking the ball out of his net. The Stags created a few first half chances and were robbed when Boulding's effort on 37 minutes was wrongly ruled out for offside. Had that goal stood, things could have been very different. But Bury's second goal on 51 minutes, predictably by Glynn Hurst, knocked the stuffing out of Mansfield who were feeble from then on. Only the central defensive pairing of Hjelde and Baptiste can hold their head high this evening, as many players put in poor performances.

Mansfield were unchanged from the side that started the games against Swindon and Doncaster. The lack of a goalkeeper on the bench is a worry and I wonder why the manager does this. Bury included former Stag, Spireite and Pie Glynn Hurst, whose record of scoring against the Stags is rather better than his record of scoring for the Stags.

The Stags started brightly and on 3 minutes Barker was through the visitors defence, but elected to shoot early and blazed well wide. The Stags played some neat football, and Barker sent another shot wide before Boulding sent an overhead kick well wide. The Stags had a number of set pieces but Hamshaw and Jelleyman weren’t at their best and they all came to nothing. The referee came under fire from home fans and players as bad fouls on Barker and Brown went unpunished.

Incredibly it was 15 minutes before Carl Muggleton touched the ball, and that was from a back-pass. But on 18 minutes, Bury hit the lucky jackpot as they scored with their only attack of the half. The player that Stags fans love to hate, Hurst, broke down the left after a mistake by Buxton, and somehow his cross evaded the Stags defence, and a shot was blocked but luckily for Bury ran to Pugh who was able to shoot home from 8 yards.

Bury had a short spell where they had possession, but soon normal service resumed and the Stags were in total control. Barker headed over from a Hamshaw free kick on 26 minutes, and on 29 minutes a fine one-two between Hamshaw and Brown ended with a powder-puff finish at the keeper from Hamshaw.

A key moment in the game arrived on 37 minutes. Brown slipped a lovely ball through to Boulding, who was most definitely onside. Boulding sent a fine finish into the back of the net from the edge of the box, but a linesman’s flag for offside meant the goal was ruled out.

A minute later, Brown’s shot was blocked and from the resulting Hamshaw corner, Hjelde’s free header was straight at the keeper. On 42 minutes, Hamshaw’s free kick was headed behind for a corner, from which Coke header over the bar. On 45 minutes, a great move by Mansfield and Hamshaw just failed to put Barker in as the keeper came out at his feet. Then Coke sent a shot like a bouncing bomb towards goal from 25 yards, which the keeper tipped away at the last second.

So, a reasonable first half performance which was completely dominated by the Stags. But the final ball just wasn’t quite falling right in the box. Some fans very harshly booed the home team off. Meanwhile, rarely will a team have done as little as Bury to lead a game at half time.

Half time 0-1

On 49 minutes, a Bury player went down in the box on the break. No penalty was given. We noted that we’ve seen them given the past. A bit of luck for the Stags.

But on 51 minutes it was 2-0. A ball popped up in the air in the box, and no Stags defender went for it, allowing Hurst to acrobatically fire just inside the right post from 12 yards.

There were gasps of disbelief as Buxton was pushed into midfield on 53 minutes as Mullins replaced a tiring Coke, who we later learned had been ill in midweek. With Arnold and Lloyd on the bench, why put Bucko in the middle?

Three minutes later D'Laryea was replaced by Lloyd. It had been D'Laryea’s worst performance of the season.

Three minutes after that Reet came on for Brown. Boos from the home fans indicated displeasure at Brown leaving the pitch. However, it is arguable whether he is fit enough for a full 90 minutes.

The game was now quite dreadful, but on 70 minutes Reet was blatantly pulled down in the box. However no penalty was given despite the yellow-booted player’s protests.

I didn’t make any other notes after that. Indeed the game was only notable as something rather more than a “minority” of home fans chanted for “Haslam Out”.

Boston’s victory means that the gap to the relegation zone is back to 4 points - far too close for comfort. However thoughts now turn to the FA cup replay at Doncaster on Tuesday. Come on Mansfield!

Man of the Match: Jon Hjelde

Report by: Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Line Up:
Muggleton 6 Poor kicking, but no chance with the goals and a generally quiet afternoon.
Buxton 6 Did ok, apart from the first goal.
Hjelde 7 Did well throughout. Man of the match.
Baptiste 7 Generally played well.
Jelleyman 6 Poor distribution.
Hamshaw 5 Lots of free kicks and corners - too many of them didn’t find a Stags player.
D'Laryea 5 Probably his worst game of a decent season.
Coke 6 More determination than in some games, but contributed little.
M.Boulding 5 Continues to be a little disappointing. But it would all have been so different if his goal had stood - really unlucky.
Brown 5 Never really got into the game.
Barker 5 Poor finishing; not at his best.
Sub Line Up:
Mullins (for Coke, 53) 6 Did ok at right back.
Lloyd (for D'Laryea, 56) 5 Didn’t really get into the game.
Reet (for Brown, 59) 5 Unlucky not to earn a penalty, but otherwise too quiet.
Subs Not Used: Beardsley, Arnold.
Opposition Line Up:
Jones, Kennedy, Challinor, Barry-Murphy, Scott, Baker (Turnbull 62), Brass (Parrish 88), Buchanan, Pugh, Bishop, Hurst (Blinkhorn 75). Subs Not Used: Woodthorpe, Speight.
G Laws (Tyne & Wear) 5 The officials made a bad mistake with Boulding’s disallowed goal, and early fouls on Barker and Brown should have earned cautions.

Season 06/07 Reports