{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 06/07 Stagsnet Match Report
Coca-Cola League 2
Mansfield Town  
4 - 1
 Hereford United
Mkandawire og 20, Barker 38, pen 71, Reet 49
 Connell 68
Attendance: 3242 (382 from Hereford)
Date: 9 September 2006

The Stags made two changes to the side that lost at Wycombe eight days earlier. On-loan Alan Sheehan made his debut at left back, replacing the injured Jelleyman, and Jason White replaced Carl Muggleton in goal for his first league start of the season.

In a bright opening it was the Stags who came the closest to getting the games opening goal, Hamshaw swung in a corner from the right which Baptiste met with a header which flew over the bar - the Stags defender probably should have done better as he was unchallenged. The offside flag stopped the next Stags attack, Brown just being caught ahead of the last defender when a better timed run would have seen him latch on to a great pass by Dawson. At the other end White made a great save for the camera man, diving full length to catch a Fleetwood shot from the edge of the area. Debutant Sheehan's first attempt at goal flew well wide whilst Brown, this time on-side, hit a right foot shot that looped over the bar. The Stags took the lead on 20 minutes after Barkers shot had deflected over the keepers head and hit the bar, the Hereford keeper Tynan and centre half Mkandawire tried to clear the ball, but it rebounded off the defender and into the net. Brown was again involved in the Stags next attack, putting in a fine low cross which just evaded Boulding at the far post. Hereford mounted a rare attack into the Stags half and forced a corner, the kick wasn't cleared although a Hereford player was clearly off the pitch (therefore either offside or the ball was out of play!!) when he knocked back a ball into the Stags 6 yard area for Fleetwood to stab the ball just wide. Brown then missed a glorious chance to put the Stags two up, racing onto Barkers flick on his shot flew wide with the keeper narrowing the angle, Brown took a heavy knock in the process and needed lengthy treatment. However, on 38 minutes the Stags did add a second, and what a fine goal it was. Brown found space on the right and delivered an inch perfect low cross which Barker slid home. This was Brown's last action of the game as he could not recover from the earlier knock and was replaced by Danny Reet. It was a good first half performance and the Stags could have been more than just two goals to the good.

Half-time 2-0

The Stags got the 2nd half off to the perfect start by adding a third goal within 5 minutes of the restart. Hamshaw, making hay on the right hand side, put in a deflected cross and Reet beat Tynan to the ball to head home. The Stags continued to make the games best chances, Mullins headed wide from a Hamshaw corner and Dawson ended a pacey run with a shot that skidded well wide. However, against the run of play Hereford pulled one back after a goal-mouth scramble fell to Connell, White made a great effort to save the point blank shot but it hit the inside of the post and went in. Home fans needn't have worried, for with 20 minutes remaining Barker converted a penalty after McLenahan handled Hamshaw's cross inside his area under pressure from Boulding. Barker smashed home the penalty for his 5th goal of the season. The Stags beat Hereford 7-1 on Boxing Day 1994 and this scoreline could have been repeated but for a linesman's flag as in the last 20 minutes the Stags had three goals disallowed. First D'Laryea hit a stunning shot from 30 yards which hit the underside of the bar, Reet headed home the rebound but was flagged offside. In between the first two disallowed goals, Sheehan had a quickly taken free kick headed off the line before Reet was clearly offside when put through and despite finishing well the goal rightly didn't stand. Probably the most controversial was the third disallowed goal, Reet's shot was fumbled by Tynan and Beardsley (who had earlier replaced Barker) tapped home from close range only to be denied his first goal of the season as the linesman flagged for a foul on the Bulls keeper.

A very good display from the Stags, though possibly not quite matching the heights of some of the football we have seen so far this season. The defence still looked a little shaky at times, even in a match where the Stags were almost totally dominant. The midfield area looks strong, in particular central midfield where D'Laryea and Dawson continue to form the best central midfield partnership we have had in years. Brown caused endless problems in the time he was on, and Reet showed again his prowess in front of goal, though he will be disappointed he didn't manage to get a hat-trick!! Alan Sheehan had a fine game at left back and barely mis-placed a pass. However, man of the match was Barker, he lead the line superbly and scored two more goals.

Man of the Match: Richard Barker

Report by: Rob Wheldon

Line Up:
White 7 One fumble otherwise solid and a couple of good saves
Mullins 7 Defended well, distribution could have been better
Baptiste 6 Still not quite at his best
Buxton 7 Sound defensively, a bit too much long ball though
Sheehan 8 Very accomplished debut, good on the ball and rarely wasted a pass
D'Laryea 7 Tireless in midfield, combines well with Dawson
Hamshaw 7 Much improved display, some fine crosses
Dawson 8 Excellent, as he has been all season
Boulding 6 When involved looked a threat, but not involved enough
Barker 9 A masterclass on leading the line
Brown 7 A real threat and did superbly to create the important 2nd goal
Sub Line Up:
Reet (for Brown, 39) 7 Another good finish, will be disappointed not to have scored more
Beardsley (for Barker, 80) 6 Did OK in possession
Coke (for Sheehan, 88)
Subs not used: Muggleton, Lloyd
Opposition Line Up:
Tynan, Travis, Mkandawire, Rose, McClenahan, Giles, Purdie (45 Connell), Ferrell, Beckwith,
Sills (61 Williams), Fleetwood. Subs not used: Thompson, Gulliver, Sheldon.
D Foster 6 A few odd decisions but handled the game well

Season 06/07 Reports