{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 05/06 Stagsnet Match Report
Coca Cola League 2
Mansfield Town  
1 - 1
 Macclesfield Town
Rundle 57.
 Swailes 78.
Attendance: 2901 (247 from Macclesfield)
Date: 4 February 2006


Report by Martin Shaw and Jeff Barnes at Field Mill

Mansfield Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Macclesfield Town at Field Mill this afternoon. After a dull opening 30 minutes, the Stags started to get on top and deserved the lead given to them by Adam Rundle’s great strike on 57 minutes. The Stags had chances to add to their lead, but Macclesfield equalised after the Stags failed to clear a corner on 78 minutes. On 88 minutes, Kyle Jacobs hit a great strike from 20 yards which was deflected and Macclesfield keeper Alan Fettis made a truly unbelievable save to keep the score at 1-1.

Mansfield made four changes from the side that was hammered at Darlington, with Buxton returning from injury to replace Hjelde in central defence, D’Laryea played his first game since signing permanently, in place of Dawson, Uhlenbeek came in for Birchall, and Barker returned from suspension in place of Brown who was injured and hence not on the bench.

The first chance of the game came on 5 minutes when the Stags were awarded a free-kick just outside the box. The ball was played sideways to Rundle who fired wide. On 9 minutes, Coke made an excellent run into the box, but before he could shoot, a defender tackled him to concede a corner. At this stage it was very clear any fears that the crowd would not be behind the players were unfounded and the vocal support, especially in the packed Quarry Lane End, was louder than normal.

After a quiet period of the game, Macclesfield had their first chance on 20 minutes. A good move involving Whittaker, ended with Wijnhard’s shot over the bar on the turn.

It was an uninspiring first hour with little action with only Baptiste, D’Laryea and Buxton looking good for the Stags.

On 30 minutes, good play by Reet allowed Coke to get to the byeline but his cross didn’t get past the first defender. A minute later, Reet turned in the box and had a shot deflected towards the corner flag and away. On 35 minutes, Rundle took a short corner to Uhlenbeek who cut inside and had a low hard shot which keeper Fettis saved well. It was the first shot on target.

The Stags were now playing a lot better and two minutes before the break Jelleyman lost the ball in an attacking position but did well to win it back and crossed for Reet, who with his back to goal, turned and shot but again the keeper did well to get down low to save it. On 45 minutes, a fine move involving Reet and D’Laryea enabled Reet to cross but as was becoming too commonplace for the Stags, the cross did not get past the first defender.

Half time 0-0

Just a few seconds into the second half the Stags had an incredible three shots on target in the same attack. First a Jelleyman piledriver from a tight angle was parried by Fettis, then Coke had a shot blocked and finally Rundle’s shot was saved by Fettis. On 48 minutes, Coke shot over the bar from 20 yards. Two minutes after that Rundle had a fine run but shot well wide. Within a minute, Rundle went on another excellent run and his shot from 20 yards was saved. On 54 minutes, right-back Kyle Jacobs put in a fine cross from deep which found Barker unmarked on the penalty spot but his diving header was well wide to his obvious frustration as he beat the turf. A minute later Uhlenbeek’s cross found D’Laryea who swiveled to send a snap shot a yard wide of the right post.

The Stags were now playing super football and on 57 minutes took a deserved lead. A cross from the right by Jacobs flicked off the head of the Macclesfield right back on the edge of the box. Rundle latched onto it, and in a flash lashed it across the keeper into the top right corner, to the huge delight of the Quarry Lane faithful whose numbers were boosted by many from the march.

On 60 minutes, Barker made a terrific run down the right and showed great skill to cut inside his marker by the corner flag but his cross came to nothing. A minute later Barker crossed again from the right, over the head of Reet, and Rundle sent a right footed shot just over the angle of bar and post.

We had seen a superb opening 15 minutes to the second half but it was important that the Stags would get a second goal to reflect their superiority.

On 66 minutes, Macclesfield had their first chance of the second half when they sent a 25 yards yard free kick just wide of the right post. Three minutes later a good move by the visitors ended with a great block by Buxton just as a player was about to shoot. From the corner, former Bury giant central defender Swailes had a free header from close range which he sent just over the bar. It should have been a wake-up call to the Stags.

Birchall replaced the fading Reet on 71 minutes and a minute later the Stags nearly extended the lead when Rundle’s quality free-kick missed everyone and sailed just past the far post with Fettis nowhere. On 77 minutes a Macclesfield corner to the far post resulted in a fine shot which was brilliantly saved one-handed by Pressman.

But from the resulting corner Macclesfield were level. The corner was not cleared by Buxton or Jelleyman who both had chances to get it away, and Swailes fired into the roof of the net from close range.

Two minutes later, Coke went on a good run but shot wide of the right post. Two minutes after that, a deep cross was played into the Stags box and was well headed away by Jelleyman as a Macclesfield player would have had a scoring chance. On 83 minutes Birchall got into the box but his shot from a tight angle was saved. Then Birchall made a run down the wing and pulled the ball back for Barker whose shot from 12 yards was blocked.

On 88 minutes came the moment when it looked like the Stags would win the game. A corner came out to just outside the box and Jacobs fired a low hard show towards goal. It took a deflection and keeper Ferris made an incredible save to keep it out. In the first minute of stoppage time Rundle went on a dribble and from 25 yards shot just over the bar, though Ferris probably had it covered.

And so the chance for victory had gone. This was a game the Stags did enough to win and should have won. Undoubtedly the keeping of Fettis kept the Stags out. The Stags played well for most of the last hour though Macclesfield have a good spell either side of their goal. But this is clearly two points dropped and more difficult games on paper are coming up. There were some good performances, notable from D’Laryea in a more defensive midfield role than either Dawson or Coke has recently played, and from Baptiste who was as excellent as usual. Also a word for Jacobs who was the sponsors’ man of the match and so nearly made himself a hero with a late winner. And so on to Wycombe where the Stags would like to avenge the 3-2 defeat at Field Mill.

Man of the match: Jon D’Laryea

Report by: Martin Shaw and Jeff Barnes at Field Mill

Line Up:
Pressman 6 One excellent save but otherwise a quiet afternoon.
Jacobs 7 Solid game and so nearly won it with a great shot near the end.
Baptiste 8 Fantastic; never put a foot wrong.
Buxton 7 Good game at centre half.
Jelleyman 7 Did well; one outstanding last ditch tackle.
Uhlenbeek 6 Struggled to get any good crosses in.
D’Laryea 8 Excellent game; the player we’ve missed in the last few matches.
Coke 6 Looked lightweight but put good a few good runs in.
Rundle 7 Started poorly but had a purple either side of his cracking goal.
Barker 7 Tireless as usual, but missed one good chance.
Reet 6 Didn’t fall for him today.
Sub Line Up:
Birchall (for Reet, 71) 6 Chased everything and did alright.
Subs Not Used: White, Lloyd, Dawson, Arnold.
Opposition Line Up:
Fettis, Morley, Swailes, Teague, Sandwith, Whitaker, Navarro (Miles 58), McIntyre, Harsley, Wijnhard, Bullock.
Subs Not Used: Townson, Lee, Brightwell, Smart.
P Miller (Bedfordshire) 7 Must have been good as we didn’t notice him

Season 05/06 Reports