{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

News conference?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

News conference?

Postby stag324 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Surely there is one today?
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: News conference

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:13 pm

We had one on Tuesday.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:36 pm

it was on Tuesday. Next interview 5pm Saturday
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stag324 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:it was on Tuesday. Next interview 5pm Saturday

Martin,

Is this going to be the format for the new season?

I know we had overload from Evans but it would be good to have one the day before a game, especially the start of a new season
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: News conference?

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:46 pm

I sooner the manager concentrate his efforts on team matters, rather than (like the previous manager), tell us what a wonderful job he is doing.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I sooner the manager concentrate his efforts on team matters, rather than (like the previous manager), tell us what a wonderful job he is doing.

Agree. Look where that got us :(
Fatty played us good and proper
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 pm

stag324 wrote:

Martin,

I know we had overload from Evans but it would be good to have one the day before a game, especially the start of a new season

yes I believe so. It was the format last season with Flitcroft
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 pm

stag324 wrote:

Martin,

What d'you want him to say?

'Newport are a massive club and'll be there or thereabout at the end of t'season.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 pm

No real desire for a press conference I would guess just another excuse to whine
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:29 pm

I would imagine the fans want to know what’s going off.

Questions like

Why was Danny not at the Mill on Thursday or Friday.

How much sell on clause did you negotiate when you sold Danny to the Stags when you were at Bury.

How much are we holding out for on top of the £300k bid from Peterborough.

Is Anderson back in your plans seeing he was not involved at Carlton when he had already played twice with the young lads.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Obvious

Confidential

Confidential

Irrelevant

There you are all sorted
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 am

Let's be real here. How many of Evans' press conferences were purely so he could hear his own voice?

There is nothing of any use Flitcroft can say the night before a game. I'd rather he spent the hour before a game with the lads getting them ready than going for a interview explaining himself and his selections.

The internet has made us all impatient. If someone is dropped due to injury what difference does it make if we are told at 2pm or at 5pm on a Saturday? If a player is dropped due to form why does a manager have to justify himself before a game?

Don't get me wrong I would watch the interviews but there was not much content. all player and manager interviews are a couple of minutes long. If there's nothing to say then why must something be said. Can we have a daily video asking DF what he had for breakfast and lunch then ask what's for tea?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:57 am

gazza1988 wrote:Let's be real here. How many of Evans' press conferences were purely so he could hear his own voice?

There is nothing of any use Flitcroft can say the night before a game. I'd rather he spent the hour before a game with the lads getting them ready than going for a interview explaining himself and his selections.

The internet has made us all impatient. If someone is dropped due to injury what difference does it make if we are told at 2pm or at 5pm on a Saturday? If a player is dropped due to form why does a manager have to justify himself before a game?

Don't get me wrong I would watch the interviews but there was not much content. all player and manager interviews are a couple of minutes long. If there's nothing to say then why must something be said. Can we have a daily video asking DF what he had for breakfast and lunch then ask what's for tea?

:lol: His he on a diet ,what about Supper and after midnight Pizza delivery :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Binghamstag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:33 am

When Evans did interviews the team visiting us were a good team and will be up there come end of season almost every week . Much better approach from flitcroft
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby one f in mansfield » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:47 am

Let’s also be real in that I am paying £4.49 for a service that provides away match commentaries and the latest news and interviews . I agree Evans was over the top but If you subscribe to I follow and go to the away games then you are currently receiving next to nothing for your subscription.
If the club receives a set payment and Want to offer the minimum then fair enough, but if the club gets a payment based upon the number of subscribers then maybe they should provide more than 1 interview a week and post match analysis.
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:49 am

part time pete wrote:I would imagine the fans want to know what’s going off.

Questions like

How much sell on clause did you negotiate when you sold Danny to the Stags when you were at Bury.

Is Anderson back in your plans seeing he was not involved at Carlton when he had already played twice with the young lads.

you are wazzin in the wind with some Pete, it’s getting to the point on here you cannot ask a question without certain few jumpin down ya neck
i agree i want to hear his views on the above too, however it would appear some as normal are happy to remain in the dark, if you find out let me know plz
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

News conference?

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:26 am

one f in mansfield wrote:Let’s also be real in that I am paying £4.49 for a service that provides away match commentaries and the latest news and interviews . I agree Evans was over the top but If you subscribe to I follow and go to the away games then you are currently receiving next to nothing for your subscription.
If the club receives a set payment and Want to offer the minimum then fair enough, but if the club gets a payment based upon the number of subscribers then maybe they should provide more than 1 interview a week and post match analysis.

I hope you watch the video highlights one f! I spend about 5 hours per game on them!
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:38 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

Questions like

you are wazzin in the wind with some Pete, it’s getting to the point on here you cannot ask a question without certain few jumpin down ya neck
i agree i want to hear his views on the above too, however it would appear some as normal are happy to remain in the dark, if you find out let me know plz

Can you show me instances of managers being asked those sort of questions and answering them?

On the questions raised.

1. Perhaps Danny, who has requested to leave, is in contract talks with a prospective buyer or just going down to said club to have a look around. No point demanding he turn up to us if he sees his future elsewhere.

2. It is none of our business what Bury negotiated for a sell on. From what I can gather that kind of thing is negotiated by the CEO and/or chairman. A manager could say "don't accept less than £x and the kids got a future so get a sell on clause" but may have no further part in negotiations (unless the CEO etc asks for advice) We are a club that doesn't even release contract lengths to the public, why would they decide to release sell on clause amounts. You have to consider that clubs can have a non-disclosure agreement when it comes to deals (hence undisclosed fee)

3. Why would we even publicly release such information? Why would Flitcroft even know what that number is?

4. This is a fair question. I would wager the answer is he's back in contention because he's the closest fit we have down that right hand side (except Atkinson I guess) If Pearce isn't mentally fit today then White would be at CB and we need cover down that RH side. Anderson is experienced and professional enough to carry on professionally.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:14 am

gazza1988 wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Questions like

Can you show me instances of managers being asked those sort of questions and answering them?

On the questions raised.

1. Perhaps Danny, who has requested to leave, is in contract talks with a prospective buyer or just going down to said club to have a look around. No point demanding he turn up to us if he sees his future elsewhere.

2. It is none of our business what Bury negotiated for a sell on. From what I can gather that kind of thing is negotiated by the CEO and/or chairman. A manager could say "don't accept less than £x and the kids got a future so get a sell on clause" but may have no further part in negotiations (unless the CEO etc asks for advice) We are a club that doesn't even release contract lengths to the public, why would they decide to release sell on clause amounts. You have to consider that clubs can have a non-disclosure agreement when it comes to deals (hence undisclosed fee)

3. Why would we even publicly release such information? Why would Flitcroft even know what that number is?

4. This is a fair question. I would wager the answer is he's back in contention because he's the closest fit we have down that right hand side (except Atkinson I guess) If Pearce isn't mentally fit today then White would be at CB and we need cover down that RH side. Anderson is experienced and professional enough to carry on professionally.

the thing is youth & don’t take this the wrong way however i’m not bothered what your guess at the answers are i want to hear from Flip Flop
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:27 am

Martin Shaw wrote:I hope you watch the video highlights one f! I spend about 5 hours per game on them!

The video highlights are very good. Worth the subscription alone
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 am

Call me content with the tiny meaningless things in life but I couldn't give a dingo's Harris about ever hearing press conferences.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:16 am

DoomMerchant wrote:Call me content with the tiny meaningless things in life but I couldn't give a dingo's Harris about ever hearing press conferences.

Apart from one or two managers in English football, press conferences are usually the same drivel up & down the country. Same stock phrases. I don't see the fasination myself.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:02 am

James wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Call me content with the tiny meaningless things in life but I couldn't give a dingo's Harris about ever hearing press conferences.

Apart from one or two managers in English football, press conferences are usually the same drivel up & down the country. Same stock phrases. I don't see the fasination myself.

Ditto. They all quote from the Big Bumper Book of Football Cliches.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum