{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Barker confirms his forced transfer saved the Stags

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Barker confirms his forced transfer saved the Stags

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:48 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Jamie is a Haslam apologist. Always was. Always will be.

He thinks Robert Mugabe is a lovely old gentleman, too
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 pm

I can see both sides of this but don't support Haslem for one minute.

However my question has always been 'If the club was in such great shape, how did a turd like Haslam manage to buy it for £1 in the first place'

Were we close to folding at that point anyway?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:25 pm

He bought the club for £1 but took on the debt which was around £600,000 at the time. Not long after though Colin Calderwood was sold for £2.5m from Swindon to Spurs & we got around £650,000 for it. Debt wiped. He then put the prices up from £6 to £8 at a time when all the mines were closing & the area was in trouble.

I’m not going into it again but I had certain access to things back then & I tried & tried telling people on here about what was happening. Jamie was the main one who refused to believe anything & continued being H*slam’s apologist throughout even when we were non league & playing at Ilkeston. I even said we would end up in non league because I heard him say he was going to take us there to ‘punish the fans’ He called TEAM Mansfield & the SSA his ‘puppets’ & just basically took whatever he could get his hands on. I saw him numerous times walk into the office, take a wad of cash out of the till & tell the girls they were to ‘make sure the takings balance’. Most of us knew that the bus driver had hidden his car etc but he was covered in Vaseline & kept slipping away from justice. There’s not many people in this world I hate but he is right up there. I hope he suffers a very long slow & painful death.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:36 am

Dan wrote:He bought the club for £1 but took on the debt which was around £600,000 at the time. Not long after though Colin Calderwood was sold for £2.5m from Swindon to Spurs & we got around £650,000 for it. Debt wiped. He then put the prices up from £6 to £8 at a time when all the mines were closing & the area was in trouble.

I’m not going into it again but I had certain access to things back then & I tried & tried telling people on here about what was happening. Jamie was the main one who refused to believe anything & continued being H*slam’s apologist throughout even when we were non league & playing at Ilkeston. I even said we would end up in non league because I heard him say he was going to take us there to ‘punish the fans’ He called TEAM Mansfield & the SSA his ‘puppets’ & just basically took whatever he could get his hands on. I saw him numerous times walk into the office, take a wad of cash out of the till & tell the girls they were to ‘make sure the takings balance’. Most of us knew that the bus driver had hidden his car etc but he was covered in Vaseline & kept slipping away from justice. There’s not many people in this world I hate but he is right up there. I hope he suffers a very long slow & painful death.

Whereas I hate loads of people :)
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:59 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I can see both sides of this but don't support Haslem for one minute.

However my question has always been 'If the club was in such great shape, how did a turd like Haslam manage to buy it for £1 in the first place'

Do you mean a right and a wrong side ?

Don't the antics speak for themselves or am I deluded?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:37 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I can see both sides of this but don't support Haslem for one minute.

Do you mean a right and a wrong side ?

Don't the antics speak for themselves or am I deluded?

They do. The apologists for The Leach are unbelievable. Jamie marching strongly at the front. He can’t help his man love for the bloke who ruined the club, almost killed it and took a decade to recover, thanks to a genuine man who invested millions to reverse the decline instigated and accelerated by Haslam. How anyone can say they’re a fan of this club and defend that slithering wazzock is beyond my comprehension.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:02 am

Jamie n Norman the same person
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 am

SINA STAG wrote:Jamie n Norman the same person

Don’t think they are. Met Norman. :o

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 am

Dan wrote:He bought the club for £1 but took on the debt which was around £600,000 at the time. Not long after though Colin Calderwood was sold for £2.5m from Swindon to Spurs & we got around £650,000 for it. Debt wiped. He then put the prices up from £6 to £8 at a time when all the mines were closing & the area was in trouble.

I seem to remember a certain person having a little falling out after the Rotherham(relegation) game.. I can assure you I was one of the first people to shake his hand away at Dagenham!!!
Lots of people disagree with that..!!!
Looking back, if that hadn’t happened... who knows where we’d be now!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Jamie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:05 am

Standard responses as expected. If you read what I've put in clearly not trying to defend him or want he did. Don't let that get in the way of some good old fashioned hating though.

My point stands. Everyone said he sold Barker to make a few quid. Turns out it was to pay a police bill. Yes years prior he took more than his fair share, but I doubt he got much out of us that season - given the low crowds etc.

As usual you see and read what you want, not what I've actually said. I have no love for Haslam, he rinsed out club for years and left us on our knees. Not sure how I can be any clearer in saying that. Unlike many of you though I can at least try and look at things objectively.

Just to throw one last hook out there for all of you can't wait to bite... the history books will show he presided over the club for a number of years and during that time the stadium was redeveloped and we had our most successful time on the pitch at any point in the last 20+ years. Go on fire away :)
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am

Get a life you utter raspberry.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:01 am

Jamie wrote:Standard responses as expected. If you read what I've put in clearly not trying to defend him or want he did. Don't let that get in the way of some good old fashioned hating though.

My point stands. Everyone said he sold Barker to make a few quid. Turns out it was to pay a police bill. Yes years prior he took more than his fair share, but I doubt he got much out of us that season - given the low crowds etc.

As usual you see and read what you want, not what I've actually said. I have no love for Haslam, he rinsed out club for years and left us on our knees. Not sure how I can be any clearer in saying that. Unlike many of you though I can at least try and look at things objectively.

Just to throw one last hook out there for all of you can't wait to bite... the history books will show he presided over the club for a number of years and during that time the stadium was redeveloped and we had our most successful time on the pitch at any point in the last 20+ years. Go on fire away :)

You clueless biffer. Have you stopped to think that the reason we had to sell our best striker was because he’d looted the club ? Has that fired in your limited synapses? He was a crook and your defence of him on here was and continues to be contemptible.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:20 am

Jamie wrote:Standard responses as expected. If you read what I've put in clearly not trying to defend him or want he did. Don't let that get in the way of some good old fashioned hating though.

And what about the Baptiste money.

Jamie you are on to a loser with this argument.

You simply can't defend the in defendable.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:48 am

You're entitled to your opinion though bud, even though metaphorically it's swarmed in flies! :P

As mentioned, Haslam only used Barker to pay the police because the money for that had previously 'disappeared'. Didn't matter where the money came from, spend/take it here or there, it only went one way. Haslam's reign was a bit like the scene from Goodfellas when Paulie the mafia boss took charge of the bar/restaurant. He looted it for all he could, and if he needed more he just sold the items/assets inside it until it was laid bare. Didn't matter because it was all profit, so no real loss if it went down the pan. They eventually torched that bar - once it had been stripped bare the only payout left was through the insurers.

Some of that seems very apt to me, though of course all my opinions are just opinions of what allegedly may or may not have gone on! ;)

If any of your theories / suggestions about Haslam suddenly become credible then i might be inclined to think again, but i severely doubt it :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:42 pm

There's only so many times i can say this, perhaps this time you'll accept it.... I'm not defending him or anything he did!

Let the red mist clear for a second, and actually read the following carefully:

I get that his previous mismanagement / greed lead to the situation where fans boycotted, which in turn lead to a cash flow issue and having to sell Barker to pay the Police bill. I'm not disputing any of that. My point was pretty simple and pretty clear, everyone jumped on the sale AT THE TIME saying he was lining his own pockets again, that clearly wasn't the case. Yes he'd lined them previously, but everyone had already had there pound of flesh about that and hence some decided to boycott. It doesn't change that you were wrong about the reason Barker was sold.

I've never said Haslam for good for our club, or that he didn't rinse the coffers dry. My main argument back in the day was that it was his business to do with what he likes, and if fans didn't like it then we should pool together and buy it from him. I tried to get a fans movement going, with a view to setting up a multi shareholder ownership model. Why would i do all that if i loved Haslam and thought he was good for the club?

Seriously, i get you all hate him (yeah, probably more than i did), but the lack of being able to properly debate things around this issue seems to be as much of a problem now as it was back in the day. Leave the personal abuse to one side, you should know by now its water of a ducks back, but does spoil the forum experience for everyone.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 pm

Hang on. You’re now blaming the fans for Barker’s sale to Hartlepool. Are you for real ? His financial mismanagement led to the sale. You’re making it sound like the boycott caused it.

Unreal.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Point being Jamie you don't get a £100,000 police bill out of thin air so that money had gone somewhere and needed replacing hence the sale.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 pm

Him not paying the bills so he could line his pockets then using the Barker transfer fee to pay them is still lining his pockets though Jamie ain't it. Just think about it a second...
Let's just say that Ha@#$m pockets are very well lined at present.
Allegedly.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:44 pm

Jamie wrote:There's only so many times i can say this, perhaps this time you'll accept it.... I'm not defending him or anything he did!

I get that his previous mismanagement / greed lead to the situation where fans boycotted, which in turn lead to a cash flow issue and having to sell Barker to pay the Police bill. I'm not disputing any of that. My point was pretty simple and pretty clear, everyone jumped on the sale AT THE TIME saying he was lining his own pockets again, that clearly wasn't the case. Yes he'd lined them previously, but everyone had already had there pound of flesh about that and hence some decided to boycott. It doesn't change that you were wrong about the reason Barker was sold.

I've never said Haslam for good for our club, or that he didn't rinse the coffers dry. My main argument back in the day was that it was his business to do with what he likes, and if fans didn't like it then we should pool together and buy it from him. I tried to get a fans movement going, with a view to setting up a multi shareholder ownership model. Why would i do all that if i loved Haslam and thought he was good for the club?

Seriously, i get you all hate him (yeah, probably more than i did), but the lack of being able to properly debate things around this issue seems to be as much of a problem now as it was back in the day. Leave the personal abuse to one side, you should know by now its water of a ducks back, but does spoil the forum experience for everyone.

His previous mismanagement / greed lead (sic) to the situation where, despite his £80k+ salary, plus full expenses, plus car, plus thousands of pounds of loans, plus signing the ground over to himself, plus around a million pounds of players being sold, plus the Calderwood fee landing in his lap - that a £100k police bill still had to be financed by a player sale. So, if he sold Barker to pay a police bill then it was clearly because his pockets had already been lined. So splitting hairs doesn't matter whether they were lined directly or indirectly with the Barker sale, they were still lined.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:45 am

I will never ever forgive what this life sucking Nosferatu did to my club, & anyone that tries to defend him is lower than a Spireshite in my book
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:12 am

Jamie wrote:There's only so many times i can say this, perhaps this time you'll accept it.... I'm not defending him or anything he did!

Jamie you are splitting hairs. It's about cause and effect.

Just clear your head for a minute and think why there was such a large unpaid bill.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:56 am

Wooden dollars
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby mansfield_smooth » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Jamie, wow!! Have a minute and a word whilst you’re there! As said the money for the police bill which is a standard thing didn’t just come out of the blue so the money for that clearly went somewhere?

So as people have pointed out he lined his pockets and screwed us, if you think anything else happened I don’t really know where to suggest you visit as it’s clearly not going to sink in is it?

Blimey
Together
Everybody
Achieves
More

TEAM - we can all play our parts for all things good for MTFC
mansfield_smooth
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:14 am

Jamie, I get the feeling from some of your posts you are a contrarian. Always have to have the unpopular opinion or you don't feel like the smartest guy in the room.

Yes, technically, you are correct. Haslam saved us from the brink of oblivion. However you are missing key points.

1. had the club folded Haslam would own a plot of land that can only be used for sports due to the covenant.
2. By "saving" the club he could continue to pay himself whatever he wanted in rent. The only other thing he could have done was rent the ground to another local sporting body, can you name one that could pay rent as much as MTFC could? Plus had the club folded Barker would have had to leave anyway.
3. Haslam had the cash to inject into the club to pay this bill, he chose to sell one of our better players instead.

I firmly believe that had the covenant not been in place there would be no club left for us to support. The Duke of Portland has done more for Mansfield Town FC than Haslam ever did.

Please, just see that Haslam was out for himself and any "good" that he did always served himself better.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:Jamie, I get the feeling from some of your posts you are a contrarian. Always have to have the unpopular opinion or you don't feel like the smartest guy in the room.

Yes, technically, you are correct. Haslam saved us from the brink of oblivion. However you are missing key points.

1. had the club folded Haslam would own a plot of land that can only be used for sports due to the covenant.
2. By "saving" the club he could continue to pay himself whatever he wanted in rent. The only other thing he could have done was rent the ground to another local sporting body, can you name one that could pay rent as much as MTFC could? Plus had the club folded Barker would have had to leave anyway.
3. Haslam had the cash to inject into the club to pay this bill, he chose to sell one of our better players instead.

I firmly believe that had the covenant not been in place there would be no club left for us to support. The Duke of Portland has done more for Mansfield Town FC than Haslam ever did.

Please, just see that Haslam was out for himself and any "good" that he did always served himself better.

Sums it up perfectly.

Jamie could be accused of naïveté if it was an isolated post. But it isn’t. It’s way behind that. He’s an apologist for the scumbag who tried to kill the club in a constant fire sale of assets. If you support Haslam, you’re no Mansfield Town fan.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum