{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Transfer Rumours

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Transfer Rumours

Postby HU7stag » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
Grendon Stag wrote:
Forever Optimistic wrote:Has anyone heard or seen from Norman lately?

Yes I spoke to him briefly yesterday. He's flying out to Portugal tomorrow morning. Hoping to meet up with him for a beer before the England and Dundee games Saturday.

Why on earth would you subject yourself to that?

Because having been on many away trips with him over the last 30 years I've had some great times and find him good company. Contrary what some of the usual suspects on here think he's very passionate about the football club he's followed from being at school.

You're a bit old to be going for your Duke of Edinburgh Award for community volunteering, aren't you Grendon? :P

Personally i don't doubt somewhere in Norman's psyche there is a fan happy to see us do well. But his absence in good times and persistence during the bad can make him look a bit trollish / closet 'rival' fan. Rarely does he show any optimism or encouragement, or acknowledge (much) the hard work the club does each season. That might seem trivial, but if all fans acted the same it'd be an incredibly toxic environment: barren of confidence and rich with blame. I don't think players / managers or owners would stick around if there wasn't some level of appreciation, gratitude and support. That doesn't mean clap at everything (as i'm sure Normski would instantly reply with), but it simply means take a balanced view by acknowledging the good and constructively criticising the bad.

I'm probably way off the mark, but as it is it can sometimes feel like he just wants the limelight

A great post and very balanced, may I add :)
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 am

Dude, i'm probably way out and too harsh about Normski.

At the end of the day, it's a forum where he's free to write how he feels. And by the same token we're free to reply with our reaction ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:44 am

Sorry, just trying to catch up on the Transfer thread... Has Norman signed for someone else?
All the best mate, you're cheery upbeat posts will be missed.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 am

Gruff wrote:Sorry, just trying to catch up on the Transfer thread... Has Norman signed for someone else?
All the best mate, you're cheery upbeat posts will be missed.

If it is just a loan deal do we have the option to not have him back?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:08 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Dan wrote:It's human nature to complain about things. If you go for a meal and it's really nice do you seek out the manager to compliment him on it? Probably not. However if it was a pile of steaming crap you'd be complaining your head off about it. That's how we're built. It's no different when following your football team. Some of us like to be ultra positive and think we're going to go up every year, some are pessimistic and think we're going down and some are just happy to have a football team to watch. But at the end of the day if you have a bad pint/meal in the SPB or the team have got stuffed at home to the mighty Crewe then you've got every right to have your say about it.

Nobody's saying don't complain ever, Dan, just some of us prefer to allow other thoughts and words to leave our body from time to time :P

It's human nature to complain, likewise it's human nature to react - you can't have 'freedom of speech to complain' but feel embittered if someone exercises the same right to close them down? You and your laptop screensaver should know all about freedom of speech....ahem! ;)

:lol: :lol: It was my wallpaper not screensaver ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Wished i could have seen old Keithy's face when he found out! :P :lol:
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:39 pm

I remember the day well. Giving him the finger was the coupe de lgrace
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:47 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I remember the day well. Giving him the finger was the coupe de lgrace

:lol: :lol: I turned around and saw the smug git smiling and puffing his cigar smoke up into the air so I gave him the middle finger. The copper with me said "I'll have to arrest you for that & he's not even seen you do it" so I did it again to make sure he did see me :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:29 pm

I was right behind you. Laughing my gooseberry off

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:07 pm

The QL end gave me a standing ovation as I went through the gate :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Was that against Walsall at home or something? I remember it but can’t remember who we were playing. Shame there was no video evidence :lol:
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Dan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I remember the day well. Giving him the finger was the coupe de lgrace

:lol: :lol: I turned around and saw the smug git smiling and puffing his cigar smoke up into the air so I gave him the middle finger. The copper with me said "I'll have to arrest you for that & he's not even seen you do it" so I did it again to make sure he did see me :lol: :lol:

No wonder you hate coppers Dan, the copper I had took me to the pub and asked the landlord to serve me with no shirt. :lol: :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Was that against Walsall at home or something? I remember it but can’t remember who we were playing. Shame there was no video evidence :lol:

Yes it was Walsall. Think it was in January, maybe 2007?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Big yella wrote:
Dan wrote:

No wonder you hate coppers Dan, the copper I had took me to the pub and asked the landlord to serve me with no shirt. :lol: :lol:

:lol: I don’t hate them all, just the odd one or two! In all fairness the ones that took me out to the van let me carry on sending my pics before taking me down the nick which was nice of them. One of them said they’d been expecting something to kick off against him for ages, they just didn’t expect it to be a photographer :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:40 am

Meale-Ticket's fall out with the club or the Calver Carcinogen's rage....i dunno which moment i'd treasure most ;)

I guess Haslam frantically scuttling indoors after the Rotherham game probably tops the lot! :P
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:49 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Meale-Ticket's fall out with the club or the Calver Carcinogen's rage....i dunno which moment i'd treasure most ;)

I guess Haslam frantically scuttling indoors after the Rotherham game probably tops the lot! :P

Thinking of Haslam and the new hotel on the land, I suspect longer term it will show that JR got a bit of a bargain when he bought the ground and land. That makes me happy!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Be honest.. cause im not sure and would like more opinions, and totally hypothetical.
Would you rather have signed Akinde, or Tyler Walker?
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:02 pm

Walker 100%
Akinde is on a downward spiral has just cost 250k and will be on a good wedge.

Walker is a hungry young lad who will be desperate to score goals to further his career.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Rob wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Meale-Ticket's fall out with the club or the Calver Carcinogen's rage....i dunno which moment i'd treasure most ;)

Thinking of Haslam and the new hotel on the land, I suspect longer term it will show that JR got a bit of a bargain when he bought the ground and land. That makes me happy!

It also will prove that JR is in full ownership because there’s no way he’d build on land that isn’t his.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:13 pm

laneymtfc wrote:Be honest.. cause im not sure and would like more opinions, and totally hypothetical.

Couple of years ago i'd have said Akinde, but now i think it's the other way around.

It's all a bit immaterial tbh, because quality only gets you part of the way imo. Having a player fit, settled in, motivated and a gaffer able to utilise them in a good system is probably way more important.

Although Lincoln & Notts have very strong sides, it can be buggered up in a matter of seconds if they don't feel valued or utilised incorrectly.

Get it wrong and it's potentially a repeat scenario of last season for any of us 3, but i'm hoping we have the easier task as it seems DF is mostly getting players who he's worked with / buy into his philosophy, rather than £££ per se
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:30 pm

laneymtfc wrote:Be honest.. cause im not sure and would like more opinions, and totally hypothetical.

87 goals from 166 appearances over 4 seasons , average of a goal every 1.9 games . 46 league games would average out at 24 goals per season . strikers supposedly best age is 27 to 29 ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28254123 ) Akinde is 28 . If we had signed him we would be going into meltdown .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks chaps! im still not sure to be honest, Akinde feels like a massive coup but I think thats because ive not seen a lot of Walker. Next season will tell. COYS!
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:21 pm

As a result of Lincoln signing Akinde, I fully expect our non league neighbours to sign Rheady.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:As a result of Lincoln signing Akinde, I fully expect our non league neighbours to sign Rheady.

Been told DC wants to Keep him, they only have Rhead, Green and Akinde and can't afford anyone else.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:47 pm

I am surprised that so many on here are criticising Lincoln's signing of Akinde, when most people have been clamoring for us to sign him over the last year!
I think Akinde is a very good signing for them. Akinde & Green (with Rhead & Palmer as back-up) are 4 strikers with a proven goals record at this level.
We, on the other hand have taken a much bigger gamble by choosing strikers with far less goals scored at this level.
Hopefully our approach will pay off ....... but I don't think we are in a position to gloat just yet.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum