{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Chesterfield

Postby ST4GS » Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Brilliant and completely mental by Dave Allen. He's just sat back and watched the rest of the board do an almost impossible job by cocking everything up and turn the Spireites into a non-league club from a League 1 Play Off position with a top 3 playing budget. He almost seems to be taking pleasure in the fact that the rest of the board have made a complete mess of it after disagreeing with his choice as Dean Saunders as manager.

What I cannot fully understand is that Dave Allen has supposedly given Chesterfield a top 3 (or more accurate top 7) budget last season. Has financed the clubs monthly losses out of his own pockets and generally ensured the clubs survival. Without Dave Allen the club surely would be well and truly in the mire.
He has probably over speculated and over spent over the last five years or so and relied on the turnover of big transfer fees (which was a success for several years up until the last two, these two years of reduced transfer income which is the nom for most league 1 or league 2 clubs has been the killer).
He has probably put more money and ambition in to CFC than Haslam ever did for MTFC.
If an owner allows a top 7 budget then who's fault is it that the club implode and finish 24th.
If he allows one more big budget next season and continues to bank roll for another 12 months they could well be straight back up. MTFC did not have that luxury in 2008/09.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 am

He blames it all on the managers. He left the rest of the board to appoint Danny Wilson, Gary Caldwell and Jack Lester and sounds almost seems extremely pleased that they failed.

The good news for the Spireites is that Martin Allen is clearly Dave Allen's choice as manager so he will get plenty of backing. It might be interesting next season if things do not go as well as planned.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 am

ST4GS wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Brilliant and completely mental by Dave Allen. He's just sat back and watched the rest of the board do an almost impossible job by cocking everything up and turn the Spireites into a non-league club from a League 1 Play Off position with a top 3 playing budget. He almost seems to be taking pleasure in the fact that the rest of the board have made a complete mess of it after disagreeing with his choice as Dean Saunders as manager.

What I cannot fully understand is that Dave Allen has supposedly given Chesterfield a top 3 (or more accurate top 7) budget last season. Has financed the clubs monthly losses out of his own pockets and generally ensured the clubs survival. Without Dave Allen the club surely would be well and truly in the mire.
He has probably over speculated and over spent over the last five years or so and relied on the turnover of big transfer fees (which was a success for several years up until the last two, these two years of reduced transfer income which is the nom for most league 1 or league 2 clubs has been the killer).
He has probably put more money and ambition in to CFC than Haslam ever did for MTFC.
If an owner allows a top 7 budget then who's fault is it that the club implode and finish 24th.
If he allows one more big budget next season and continues to bank roll for another 12 months they could well be straight back up. MTFC did not have that luxury in 2008/09.

You are right. He may be a bad chairman but he can't be compared with Mr Haslam. He has put a lot of money in, he is more comparable with JR in that respect.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 am

This was posted over on Bobs Board by a Spireite which highlights how Dave Allen's claims that he doesn't accept any criticism is a load of tosh.

DA “what amazed me was how quickly the others ran away and wanted their money back?”

Wow, talk about re writing history

DA “they couldn’t fund it from day one, they couldn’t meet the payments of £500k a year?”

No mention of the debts increasing by £5,000,000 on your watch Dave, or you saying the club would be run properly and not have mountains of debt, WHILE YOU WERE CHAIRMAN then Dave.

DA “before they kicked a ball they were £3 to 4million in debt, they hadn’t done their sums right”

That’s true Dave, but we are now £10 million or so in debt, so it’s not just Barry Hubbard who haven’t done the right is it?

DA “ I took a phone call from an mp who said the council will be disappointed if we go down! Will they? How much money have they got in? Nothing! They put a loan in, took it back and took interest.”

Dave, did they “take it back” or did you pay them off and replace it, and the first charge with a mortgage from AS leasure? And this council, didn’t they facilitate the gifting of the land the ground is built on?

DA “[talking about the councils loan] ‘don’t make me sick’ .......

Dave, I’ve just vomited myself, but not the same reasons you cite.

DA “ were going to be self sufficient. I’ve bought businesses, and cut it back to the bare minimum and rebuilt from there and that’s what we’re going to do here”

Hang on Dave, this isn’t a new acquisition here, this is a business that you have owned for 8 years and been chairman for half of that time. If it’s a bloated, inefficient business, that’s happened on your watch.

DA” I do not accept any criticism at all. If it wasn’t for me there wouldn’t be a staudium there”

True enough. But the criticism hasn’t ever been about that. But you know that Dave.
DA “Turner did a great job, but what they do? Same as they are trying to do with Ashley Carson. Get out we don’t like you, your from Sheffield.”

Oh Dave, Dave really? Do you honestly think that’s what it’s been about? The lies, the fake raffle winners, the PPP scandal, taking money from dodger characters with fake businesses? The sponsors departing in droves? All because your from Sheffield?

DA. “There’s no one round here with the money to buy it, or if they have they’re not prepared to put the money in. There’s been a load of claptrap, they lawyers who put them forward to Ashley should have known better if he’d have put them to me he’d have found out what life was about”

Does that include the £10,000,000 Swedish consortium Dave? Is ten million a derisory offer now?

DA. Re iterates his desire to reach the championship and then sell.

I will take that with a pinch of salt Dave, if you don’t mind.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 am

The quoted link has Martin Allen now updating their website :lol:
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am

If DA is charging interest on his loans then I see what his game is.

He will be making more money getting the interest than having the money in a bank. In addition he can pass off any loses as tax credits against his other companies so his tax bill is reduced.

Just needs some mug to buy all the shooting match for the value of his loans.

It would be even better for him if he just sold the club and kept the ground in his ownership.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby withnail » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm

I just don't understand the whole collapse of Chesterfield as a league club. They seem to have sleep-walked their way there, their owner, directors, management, playing staff… but I really can't understand their fans… no mass protests, no united effort from them to at least try and stop the decline, not so much as a whimper. Incredible. One thing I take from our dark times under Haslam was the energy, passion and purpose the fans demonstrated against Haslam - The signs on the road in Calver, demonstrations at Field Mill, the "Save our Stags' campaign etc. I may have missed something, but what exactly have their fans done?
withnail
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 16, 2018 1:37 pm

withnail wrote:I just don't understand the whole collapse of Chesterfield as a league club. They seem to have sleep-walked their way there, their owner, directors, management, playing staff… but I really can't understand their fans… no mass protests, no united effort from them to at least try and stop the decline, not so much as a whimper. Incredible. One thing I take from our dark times under Haslam was the energy, passion and purpose the fans demonstrated against Haslam - The signs on the road in Calver, demonstrations at Field Mill, the "Save our Stags' campaign etc. I may have missed something, but what exactly have their fans done?

I agree with you about the fans. There is the "not a penny more" brigade, some talk about building a Phoenix club and also forming a supporters club. But it all seems too little too late.

Dave Allen says the banqueting suite at the club is making a profit and is the best in North Derbyshire, so perhaps he sees that as more important than the football side of it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed May 16, 2018 2:46 pm

It's only in the last two seasons where it has gone wrong. I am sure it took us about 10 years of Haslam rule before we had the protests.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm

ST4GS wrote:He has probably put more money and ambition in to CFC than Haslam ever did for MTFC.

Not difficult. Every one of us has done that when we bought our first match ticket !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 pm

1st signing for the sheep molesters player Nicholson from Handsworth Parramore finished 2nd in the same league AFC Mansfield played in last season
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Well he comes across as some cheap 1970's northern comic.
What an odious fool.
Could you ever in any circumstance imagine JR speaking so flippant and almost happy the club have failed like Allen.
Embarrassing
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Admiral Sook » Thu May 17, 2018 11:34 am

Ashley Carson’s son now in hot water for bragging on social media that he won around £500 betting that Martin Allen would be the new manager. FA are investigating. The gift that keeps on giving :lol:
Admiral Sook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 17, 2018 11:40 am

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am

SINA STAG wrote:1st signing for the sheep molesters player Nicholson from Handsworth Parramore finished 2nd in the same league AFC Mansfield played in last season

Handsworth Parramore finished 4th in the NCEL Premier. They do have a good youth set up though.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu May 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

That’s hilarious.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Madstagsfan2 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Admiral Sook wrote:Ashley Carson’s son now in hot water for bragging on social media that he won around £500 betting that Martin Allen would be the new manager. FA are investigating. The gift that keeps on giving :lol:

It just gets better and better. Nine point deduction last time, already under investigation for dodgy dealing and now this. What do you reckon? 12 points? 15?
Madstagsfan2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

What an absolute simpleton.

Don't know what this lad looks like but I imagine that he has a sore red chin from all of the dribbling.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

what's even more ridiculous than his bragging on social media is that he only had 20 quid on.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu May 17, 2018 6:34 pm

The bet was put on the 6th of may.
So everything said by Allen was nonsense in his interview
The owner said he was picking the new manager which also sounds nonsense if Carson's son already knew who had been appointed.

its nice to know the supporting sheep are still being spun a yarn by the people in charge.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu May 17, 2018 6:40 pm

It also raises questions regarding who released the 3 "fan favourites" (by text)

Maybe the peak fm interviewer wasn't so daft after all ;)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu May 17, 2018 6:47 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:The bet was put on the 6th of may.
So everything said by Allen was nonsense in his interview
The owner said he was picking the new manager which also sounds nonsense if Carson's son already knew who had been appointed.

its nice to know the supporting sheep are still being spun a yarn by the people in charge.

I hope Carson Snr keeps his job. Seems to me that he is doing a sterling effort. Without him at the helm Bob’s board possibly won’t be as amusing.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby whipster221073 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Salford City splashing the cash in their bid to finish above non-league Chesterfield. 4 bought in today.

MTFC not AFC
whipster221073
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Wow money does talk. Whiteheads just became a league footballer and drops back to the conference.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Always thought Pond was destined to see out his career at Fleetwood. He's been with them throughout their rise in every division I believe.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum