{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft IN or OUT?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Flitcroft in or out?

In - give him time with his own team
65%
Out - he's had his shot and blown it.
35%

Total votes : 229

Re: Flitcroft IN or OUT?

Postby wardy12345 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:54 am

How long was this pole open for
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 am

I didn't set an end date. Perhaps should have set it for a week.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:05 am

All he had to do was a few tweaks here and there and keep us in contention. We had too much too soon. Too many subs early doors when he realised his tactics were hopelessly wrong. Fine getting the players fitter (this is hat most interim managers say) but at the expense of managing to drag down the performances of the whole team?
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 07, 2018 8:22 am

I believe in second chances. Who ever came in after Evans had a poisoned chalice and I believe it’s only fair he has a chance with a transfer window behind him.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 am

wardy12345 wrote:How long was this pole open for

The one on Leeming Street 9 till 5 :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 07, 2018 11:33 am

my gut feeling is he talks the talk but will never walk the walk
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Flitcroft was the manager I wanted having seen Swindon beat us and him at other clubs. I like the way he talks and felt that he had been dealt a very tough hand following on from Evans. However, I regret that he will be with us next season. I will continue to get a season ticket, i will continue to back him but have real doubts. This is based on the fact that he doesn't seem to match his pre-match promises with selections, he seemed to be making selections by the end which didn't make sense and the substitution on the last day seemed to suggest an admission of getting it completely wrong.
If we accept that Evans brought in a load of big time charlies who wouldn't play for the shirt (supposedly Anderson and Diamond still the club during Flitcroft's time) why wasn't he able to motivate them even if it was to gain a move elsewhere?.
Finally, tactics in several of the games has been baffling and I fear that he is another Reg Holdsworth.

I hope that he is able to build a team which continues to play winger based football, I hope that he brings in a couple of strikers to give Danny Rose real competition and i will very happily admit I was wrong but I just get the feeling it was wrong place, wrong time for him.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon May 07, 2018 9:56 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote: and felt that he had been dealt a very tough hand following on from Evans.

How is being given the best form side in the league, on the edge of promotion and free scoring, a "tough hand". Surely that's a golden opportunity for any manager? You simply have to show your skills in motivating the team to keep going in the same vein for a few more matches. The players are proven promotion contenders, so it's success on a plate.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby edwinscott » Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 pm

In
edwinscott
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Tue May 08, 2018 8:00 am

gazza1988 wrote:
CalderwoodsLeftFoot wrote:So he was given one of the biggest budgets at Swindon and with his own back room Team and players the club have finished ninth . So he moves to a club that alongside Swindon has provided him with a similar budget although I appreciate they aren’t his players . But if he is a great manager he should be able to get the best from most players. He was provided with another quality squad and If I was compiling an end of season report it would be along the lines that he needs to try harder. Both teams have invested heavily and he has been given the best tools for the job and failed on both accounts. I can’t see him taking us up unfortunately. I wouldn’t give him any money to waste!

Swindon was in the play offs though. Swapping manager at that point in the season derailed them as it did us.

If I remember right, when Evans arrived he only won 2 of his 6 or 7 league games before he could sign his own players. I think that also included the heavy 5-2 loss at Carlisle (there was 8 games but one was the trophy which is generally greeted with apathy)

In fact I just checked. He had 7 league games before January window and gained 8 points. You can swing this 2 ways, comparing Flitcroft 1st 7 games and you get 3 points from 7 games, but if you take Flitcroft last 7 games berofe the transfer window it's 9 points out of 7.

See at the end of the day Flitcroft is here to stay. May as well give the bloke a chance and reserve judgement. Don't need constant negativity. There was so many times during Evans reign that I thought the fan base would implode (based on history) at certain dings and it didn't. It allowed him the time. Now it feels we are back in the old day where everything is useless unless repeatedly proven otherwise. The old csrtain players are only as good as their last bad game.

Yes Gazza, but it was plain to see Evans was throwing them games by playing folk out of position and generally making weird subs. Just remember we were first team to lose at Exeter that season in December and can you remember the poor game against Morecambe at home on Boxing Day. It was just a ploy to get JR to splash the cash.

You need to see the bigger picture. All new managers want their own players. Managers at this level rarely motivate players who they haven’t signed.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby milne6 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 pm

I'd say out - had such an easy run of games and couldn't get an home win.. that 1st half against crewe was so bad!

we was very poor against county - he couldn't even motivate his players against local rivals, both fighting for playoffs/automatic promotion

port vale and crawley.. had loads of chances but couldn't score.. and conceded without much pressure on defense

Stanley - down to ten men but was doing them stupid corners with two players?! - was already a men short.. why waste another one

Got wrong team out a few times - 1st half subs against crawley and crewe

I know people saying he needs time for his our players but we had/got one of the biggest squads in L2 so 2 wins in 12 games is not good enough for me
This is a Signature
milne6
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MOTG » Tue May 08, 2018 7:27 pm

In for me. I just wonder if DF survives longer at Mansfield than SE does at Peterborough? Maybe another poll ?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 pm

MOTG wrote:In for me. I just wonder if DF survives longer at Mansfield than SE does at Peterborough? Maybe another poll ?

I can set up a poll to see if people want a poll on that subject :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue May 08, 2018 8:35 pm

Bradders wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote: and felt that he had been dealt a very tough hand following on from Evans.

How is being given the best form side in the league, on the edge of promotion and free scoring, a "tough hand". Surely that's a golden opportunity for any manager? You simply have to show your skills in motivating the team to keep going in the same vein for a few more matches. The players are proven promotion contenders, so it's success on a plate.

I think the fact that he left just before 2 local derbies and matches against teams above in the league. That was a tough hand for first four or five games.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 09, 2018 9:17 am

So David Flitcroft seems to have a 63% approval rating for continuing next season which I think is similar to Paul Cox after his first seasn in League 2.

I'm all for giving him another chance but I still think it would go down better with the fans if he accepted some responsibility for not making the play offs. He needs to accept he made some mistakes and learn from them. He cannot pretend it was all Steve Evans' fault.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 09, 2018 10:54 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:So David Flitcroft seems to have a 63% approval rating for continuing next season which I think is similar to Paul Cox after his first seasn in League 2.

I'm all for giving him another chance but I still think it would go down better with the fans if he accepted some responsibility for not making the play offs. He needs to accept he made some mistakes and learn from them. He cannot pretend it was all Steve Evans' fault.

If there are fans out there who think it isn't even partially DF's fault (yes we know who it came about, and the players need responsibility etc) i'd query whether they attended any of his games. On the flipside, to suggest it was mostly his fault would also be inaccurate.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed May 09, 2018 12:24 pm

milne6 wrote:I'd say out - had such an easy run of games and couldn't get an home win.. that 1st half against crewe was so bad!

we was very poor against county - he couldn't even motivate his players against local rivals, both fighting for playoffs/automatic promotion

port vale and crawley.. had loads of chances but couldn't score.. and conceded without much pressure on defense

Stanley - down to ten men but was doing them stupid corners with two players?! - was already a men short.. why waste another one

Got wrong team out a few times - 1st half subs against crawley and crewe

I know people saying he needs time for his our players but we had/got one of the biggest squads in L2 so 2 wins in 12 games is not good enough for me

1 in 3 games were against promotion / playoff contenders :shock:

Do agree some other games we should have won
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu May 10, 2018 10:43 am

adamstag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:So David Flitcroft seems to have a 63% approval rating for continuing next season which I think is similar to Paul Cox after his first seasn in League 2.

If there are fans out there who think it isn't even partially DF's fault (yes we know who it came about, and the players need responsibility etc) i'd query whether they attended any of his games. On the flipside, to suggest it was mostly his fault would also be inaccurate.

Adam I'm sure all fans think DF is partially responsible. I agree with Martin he tried to change too much. I'm sure on reflection DF knows this too.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu May 10, 2018 1:30 pm

To be Devils Advocate Andy, if he'd changed nothing would that have given him adequate opportunity to see which players could stand up to playing his style in a competitive manner next season? It's a tricky line to walk - finding out too late means you're always chasing shadows in terms of acquiring players / evolving to a new style of play

At best we'd have been promoted and the team adapted to his style. At worst he finds out next August that half his squad can't adapt and we spend the season treading water. This way he finds out in time, but it's make the fans patience fuse a lot shorter
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu May 10, 2018 5:37 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:To be Devils Advocate Andy, if he'd changed nothing would that have given him adequate opportunity to see which players could stand up to playing his style in a competitive manner next season? It's a tricky line to walk - finding out too late means you're always chasing shadows in terms of acquiring players / evolving to a new style of play

At best we'd have been promoted and the team adapted to his style. At worst he finds out next August that half his squad can't adapt and we spend the season treading water. This way he finds out in time, but it's make the fans patience fuse a lot shorter

Good point. Similarly that's why if DF had been sacked, the new manager would have had the same problem regarding assessing the players in competative games. He would have been even further behind.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Fri May 11, 2018 2:35 pm

CalderwoodsLeftFoot wrote:So he was given one of the biggest budgets at Swindon and with his own back room Team and players the club have finished ninth . So he moves to a club that alongside Swindon has provided him with a similar budget although I appreciate they aren’t his players . But if he is a great manager he should be able to get the best from most players. He was provided with another quality squad and If I was compiling an end of season report it would be along the lines that he needs to try harder. Both teams have invested heavily and he has been given the best tools for the job and failed on both accounts. I can’t see him taking us up unfortunately. I wouldn’t give him any money to waste!

So by this logic (and I use the term loosely) DF is to blame for our poor end of season and Swindons?? So Evans and Brown have nothing to do with it? You can'y have it both ways or you would be blaming him for Posh next.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby yellows58 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:39 am

Champions next year. the players say they are enjoying training and like his ideas. They are now playing the ball on the floor ,fast movement. look fitter.
yellows58
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby old ram stag » Thu May 31, 2018 6:17 pm

flitcroft officially on missing persons list out for me would we even know?
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu May 31, 2018 10:41 pm

Is he not allowed a holiday then ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 pm

old ram stag wrote:flitcroft officially on missing persons list out for me would we even know?

You didn't see the photos of him with his first signing just two days ago then you miserable old git.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum