{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Evans' Antics

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Evans' Antics

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 pm

northern stag wrote:I’m not sure this qualifies as performing, quite the opposite.

It's not just those two, but I would happily drive Henderson and Sterling back to the NW and never let them darken our steps again. Just abysmal. Southgate Out.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:30 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:I've banged on about Evans enough. I nailed my flag firmly to the mast long before he joined us and that hasn't changed.

But in a strange way, I can see past the antics. I don't like it, but its pretty obvious it's an act. Aimed at gaining a slight advantage (though I personally believe it works against him more often than not) or, as in this case and Grimsby, deflect from another poor managerial performance. Some see this as 'passion. Better to show emotion than stand there with your hands in your pockets. But, as ever with Evans, it's an act.

What I can't see past is his apparent lack of managerial nous. I must say, although I don't like him, I expected better. He has persisted with his chosen formation, trying to cram his players in regardless of suitability, and it hasn't worked in the majority of cases. Despite having arguably one of the most talented squads we've seen there remains a lack of flexibity. Substitutions are like for like swaps or are made to correct fairly obvious errors in the starting line up.

There has been little progression for me despite a successful recruitment campaign. He seems to have bought players that are great on paper, but ones that don't suit his preferred system. I am surprised that there isn't improvement in the teams shape, I have seen very little evidence of players or units improving since signing which suggests a lack of coaching and structure. Banging the best players into the first eleven does not make a team.

Defense has been weakened this season in my opinion. It certainly hasn't got better but has lost any attacking threat that his system relies on.

Midfield is all at sea which is unsurprising given we usually play with one central midfielder. The lack of a physical holding midfielder is costing us as I predicted preseason. Midfield quite simply isn't up for a fight.

On paper, the strikers have arguably improved. But if he is going to persist with the style and formation he likes, they are going to struggle. Again, if he wants to play the way he is, he has bought the wrong players.

My prediction is that he is out putting feelers to other clubs as we speak and will be gone in January after giving Radford another shopping list and getting short shrift. Of course this won't be his fault. He won't have had the backing, previous manager, fans without perspective, bad referees etc etc.

Nothing more to add except: excellent post. Sums it
up perfectly.

Agreed!

Never read so much utter nonesense in my life. Are you all being serious?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:
Tawnystag wrote:If any of you have read 'The Journeyman' book you will know excactly how Evans runs the dressing room. He has 0% respect for players - no loyalty whatsoever, humiliates and solates key figures, unpredictable, eratic, telling players they are part his plans when secretly trying to sort out loan deals, playing childish mind-games to the point where him and Raynor become a bit of a joke.

There's a story about the Crawley team eating fish and chips on the coach on the way back from a game. Steve Evans was sulking and declined to eat but then changed his mind when he smelt them. He sent Raynor to the back of the bus to get his portion but they had all gone. Steve was apoplectic, cancelled their day off and had them in for training and intensive questioning over the fish and chips. Players who he thought were being dishonest about the chips were then dropped for the next few games. Funny and alarming in equal measures.

The turning point on Evans for me was Exeter at home last season and the run of games that followed. We surrendered a series of comfortable 1-0 leads by drastically changing tactics and sitting back in dominant games which ultimately cost us. I didn't like the way he continues to bad-mouth Murray yet it's clear for everyone to see that the best players in the squad are the ones that he brought in.

I've tried to get hold of this but can't find it anywhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-ody ... 1849548544

Cheers mate, ordered.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:29 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Random Hero wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:I've banged on about Evans enough. I nailed my flag firmly to the mast long before he joined us and that hasn't changed.

But in a strange way, I can see past the antics. I don't like it, but its pretty obvious it's an act. Aimed at gaining a slight advantage (though I personally believe it works against him more often than not) or, as in this case and Grimsby, deflect from another poor managerial performance. Some see this as 'passion. Better to show emotion than stand there with your hands in your pockets. But, as ever with Evans, it's an act.

What I can't see past is his apparent lack of managerial nous. I must say, although I don't like him, I expected better. He has persisted with his chosen formation, trying to cram his players in regardless of suitability, and it hasn't worked in the majority of cases. Despite having arguably one of the most talented squads we've seen there remains a lack of flexibity. Substitutions are like for like swaps or are made to correct fairly obvious errors in the starting line up.

There has been little progression for me despite a successful recruitment campaign. He seems to have bought players that are great on paper, but ones that don't suit his preferred system. I am surprised that there isn't improvement in the teams shape, I have seen very little evidence of players or units improving since signing which suggests a lack of coaching and structure. Banging the best players into the first eleven does not make a team.

Defense has been weakened this season in my opinion. It certainly hasn't got better but has lost any attacking threat that his system relies on.

Midfield is all at sea which is unsurprising given we usually play with one central midfielder. The lack of a physical holding midfielder is costing us as I predicted preseason. Midfield quite simply isn't up for a fight.

On paper, the strikers have arguably improved. But if he is going to persist with the style and formation he likes, they are going to struggle. Again, if he wants to play the way he is, he has bought the wrong players.

My prediction is that he is out putting feelers to other clubs as we speak and will be gone in January after giving Radford another shopping list and getting short shrift. Of course this won't be his fault. He won't have had the backing, previous manager, fans without perspective, bad referees etc etc.

Nothing more to add except: excellent post. Sums it
up perfectly.

Agreed!

Never read so much utter nonesense in my life. Are you all being serious?

what a load of guff.

before evans we had a manager that most of the fans were fed up with, they wanted someone proven but never expected anything amazing as are little old mansfield... we get evans and he signs a whole new team mostly coming from higher leagues and he’s getting slagged off meanwhile we’re currently at the right end of the table
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby smiler67 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm

It's a results based business,we are getting the results and progressing,that cannot be argued,league two football ain't a pretty thing,it never has been,whether you like his formation or not you cannot deny he has achieved success at most of his clubs,the way we play is the best I've seen for a while and I wish the club and SE every success. :mtfc:
smiler67
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Random Hero » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Blimey chaps. I started this thread to state that I wasn't a huge fan of Evans' touchline antics.

At no point did I say he wasn't the right man for the job.

I just wish he would stop behaving like a complete and utter bottom on the sidelines. That's all.
Panatha mou, se aghapo, opou ki an pezis panda tha s' akoloutho.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Random Hero wrote:Blimey chaps. I started this thread to state that I wasn't a huge fan of Evans' touchline antics.

At no point did I say he wasn't the right man for the job.

I just wish he would stop behaving like a complete and utter bottom on the sidelines. That's all.

You're absolutely right RH.
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:33 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:

I agree, especially with your last paragraph.

I also fear for his health when he's screaming and shouting at the officials like that.

So you will be happy guys when he takes over at the Gills next week !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
SidneyOttewell wrote:

I agree, especially with your last paragraph.

I also fear for his health when he's screaming and shouting at the officials like that.

So you will be happy guys when he takes over at the Gills next week !

i'm 50/50 to be honest. summer recruitment thought he did a great job. so far this season bang average, 80 mins luton and a great county performance all we have so far.it looks like we are going in the right direction, if steve goes squad is in place/quality owners would like to see the applicants list for the vacant job. would be a quality list, I'm not worried one bit
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 pm

But what if some of the summer recruitment moved with him to the Gills in January? Would you be worried then ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Frontrowhero » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Amber Andy wrote:But what if some of the summer recruitment moved with him to the Gills in January? Would you be worried then ?

not going to happen andy unless Gillingham find a substantial amount of cash, even then they are under contract not going anywhere until summer. he ain't going not to Gillingham anyway
Frontrowhero
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 am

Frontrowhero wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:But what if some of the summer recruitment moved with him to the Gills in January? Would you be worried then ?

not going to happen andy unless Gillingham find a substantial amount of cash, even then they are under contract not going anywhere until summer. he ain't going not to Gillingham anyway

Make no mistake FRH, the Gillingham thing has not gone away. In fact according to some geezer on Talk Sport it could be SE last game with us today. Pure speculation probably, but don't rule it out. For me this is too much of a coincidence following the negative remarks SE got after the Cheltenham defeat.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:57 am

C'est la vie - was the same with Swindon (was thought to be nailed on but didn't happen), if not Gillingham it will be the same again with another club next month.

There are two other key factors in this and that is JR & CR. JR has already proven to have a lot of resolve, supports him financially and will no doubt have already discussed plans for January.

To quote Steve enjoy the roller coaster ride.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Beano » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:03 am

Amber Andy wrote:For me this is too much of a coincidence following the negative remarks SE got after the Cheltenham defeat.

Andy, normally I find your comments pretty grounded, but to suggest this, is absolute nonsense.

a) he deserved negative remarks, his performance and his teams was garbage. (and he knows it)
b) do you really think he takes any notice of negative comments anyway? He thrives on the abuse from opposition fans, and I doubt very much he's a Stagsnet subscriber.
c) I also doubt very much that Gillingham base their management recruitment on opposition clubs Facebook accounts.

I therefore nominate you for this months John Lomas "if in doubt, blame the fans or Stagsnet" award. ;)
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:18 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Frontrowhero wrote:

Make no mistake FRH, the Gillingham thing has not gone away. In fact according to some geezer on Talk Sport it could be SE last game with us today. Pure speculation probably, but don't rule it out. For me this is too much of a coincidence following the negative remarks SE got after the Cheltenham defeat.

They should rename that station to Talk B****cks.

I seriously doubt Gills could afford to acquire him, or the squad he'd want to build. Given he had numerous offers from bigger / better clubs before joining us, it just doesn't stack up.
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:13 am

Worry all you like, won't change a thing. If SE goes then good riddance, that would demonstrate the type of guy he would be.

I for one hope he stays.

Said it before, quote from a real legend Brian Clough, " the only loyal people in football are the supporters".
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:31 pm

I stand by what I wrote. One derby win hasn’t changed my views on him. In the county win he changed from the system I was critical of and it worked a treat.

Saturday was much improved. Let’s hope it continues.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Only thing he cant do is pick a winning side hes not as good as he says he is
spanishstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:53 pm

spanishstag wrote:Only thing he cant do is pick a winning side hes not as good as he says he is

He played the same side that won against county. Barring sterling-james in for potter :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:I stand by what I wrote. One derby win hasn’t changed my views on him. In the county win he changed from the system I was critical of and it worked a treat.

So you deserve all the credit for the win against County then....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:I stand by what I wrote. One derby win hasn’t changed my views on him. In the county win he changed from the system I was critical of and it worked a treat.

So you deserve all the credit for the win against County then....

That’s very kind of you, thanks. But I was merely pointing out that his midfield diamond wasn’t working. It didn’t need 8 promotions to see that.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Still completely stand by what I said. More petrol money wasted.
Panatha mou, se aghapo, opou ki an pezis panda tha s' akoloutho.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Down to the Sandy Pate bar....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Down to the Sandy Pate bar....

If Sandy's there, ask him if he fancies a run out at right wing-back against Swindon.
Mr Evans is on borrowed time
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:27 pm

I think we've played enough games away from home now to see the 4-4-2 is not effective on the road.

I don't think Evans is one for tactical thinking sadly so I don't expect it to change.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum