{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tranmere v Leyton Orient

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Tranmere v Leyton Orient

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:14 pm

live on BT Sport 1

The teams last met in League One in 2014

Both teams surprisingly out of form this season, and it showed in the quality on display in the opening 20 minutes.

Then a possible Tranmere penalty at one end for hand ball. Leyton Orient go straight to the other end and take the lead 30 seconds later, with a goal by Matt Harrold (who was caretaker manager for Crawley against us at the end of last season).

Two minutes later Tranmere level. 1-1. 25 minutes.

Sutton playing for Tranmere.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Tranmere v Leyton Orient

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Fully expected Tranmere to be pushing for top spot
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Jamie Sendles-White coming on for Orient.

Still 1-1
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 pm

huge stroke of luck for Tranmere. Cross deflected onto the head of Norwood who can't miss with a header from 2 yards.

2-1 to Tranmere
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Spiritater » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Either of those two to come up as they've got grass pitches. Don't want any plastic pitches in the FL thank you.

I wish Macclesfield made it back as it's just an hour away.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:42 pm

final score 2-1 to Tranmere

Deserved win.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Spiritater wrote:Either of those two to come up as they've got grass pitches. Don't want any plastic pitches in the FL thank you.

no teams with 3G pitches will be allowed to be promoted any time soon.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Either of those two to come up as they've got grass pitches. Don't want any plastic pitches in the FL thank you.

no teams with 3G pitches will be allowed to be promoted any time soon.

No, we have very backward looking people in charge of football in the UK, this is why our national team under performs. I've played and referee'd on new 3G pitches many, many times, I can assure you that they are excellent surfaces and the EFL is just a decade behind the rest of the world, not for the first time. They will come in eventually, that is when someone under the age of 70 has a say. Top level clubs can afford to pay for a grass surface to be as good as an artificial (note I said as good). I'd love those against 3G to give me one factual reason why they should not be allowed at League 1/2, when FIFA and UEFA have approved them at a much, much higher level. I do not know if JR would want a 3G pitch, but he should at least have the choice.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:53 pm

I've played many games on 3G pitches and the bounce of the ball is just not the same in my opinion. Also if you slide and get those horrible burns on your leg they can take a while to heal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Watched the match tonight, I think Tranmere will slowly climb the league with Norwood & Jennings.At times they played some good football.

I'm pleased their board have stuck by Mellon. Gate of 4,000 & with the game being on television. Would be good to see them back in the FL next season.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I've played many games on 3G pitches and the bounce of the ball is just not the same in my opinion. Also if you slide and get those horrible burns on your leg they can take a while to heal.

Same here mate.
We don't want 'perfect' conditions, I like the odd slip or bobble that let's the striker in, whether it be ours or theirs.
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:51 am

I was at the game last night, a couple of the guys I work with are Tranmere season ticket holders so I go occasionally. Every time I go I thank my stars even more than the last time that we aren't in that league anymore. The feeling about Mellon was that if they'd got beaten at Bromley on Saturday then he'd have gone, as it is now they are 7 points off top after winning there and winning last night - and they've also got a result at home, which was becoming a bit of a monkey on their back. The other feeling is that it's a really poor league this year, categorised by the fact that almost everyone is still in with a shout. There was a good article written about the conference a few weeks back:

https://nonleaguetipsblog.wordpress.com ... o-far/amp/
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:46 am

You'll be in trouble Martin as someone will say this isn't Stags related :lol: :lol:

I watched the game as well, I'm glad I wasn't sat out in that taking pics chuffing hell, awful conditions. The game wasn't that bad considering. Feel for the O's fans though, that's a hell of a journey to make on a Wednesday night & they're at Barrow on Saturday!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:50 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I've played many games on 3G pitches and the bounce of the ball is just not the same in my opinion. Also if you slide and get those horrible burns on your leg they can take a while to heal.

You weren't playing on one of the new 3G pitches if you got a burn! They even play Rugby on them now - your arguments were valid in the 80's, not now. Yes I think top level football should be played on grass, but small clubs should be able to use 3G if they believe it will bring in additional revenue and keep them afloat.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:28 am

Rob wrote:

You weren't playing on one of the new 3G pitches if you got a burn! They even play Rugby on them now - your arguments were valid in the 80's, not now. Yes I think top level football should be played on grass, but small clubs should be able to use 3G if they believe it will bring in additional revenue and keep them afloat.

I wasn't alive in the 80's! I have played on them once a week for the last ten years.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:40 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

I wasn't alive in the 80's! I have played on them once a week for the last ten years.

:lol: I suspect the quality of the surface you are playing on isn't quite up the more recent 3G (sometimes called 4G) pitches. They are not perfect, but if they are good enough for a World Cup and the Champions League then I think they are good enough for League 2 clubs if they want to use them. Don't get me wrong, I think football should be played on grass at the higher levels, but the 3G facilities in small towns and villages are in constant use and adding more would be a real benefit.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm

I imagine there was more quality on show in the bargain basement National league last night than there is in this england match. Jesus. I didnt even realise Oxlade Chamberlain was even playing til he was subbed.

They really are very poor.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Come on guys, England FC is dead, and has been for at least a decade. I haven't watched a game for years, what is the point?. I'd take 3 points in an end of season kick about over us winning the World Cup.
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Come on guys, England FC is dead, and has been for at least a decade. I haven't watched a game for years, what is the point?. I'd take 3 points in an end of season kick about over us winning the World Cup.

Rubbish Mark, you've been living in Liverpool (Ireland) too long. Just because we criticise our national side does not mean it doesn't matter, it does matter to those of us proud to be English, of which I guess you aren't. I, like many other England fans, am fuming about our abysmal display tonight, however, I'll be watching on Sunday, even though it matters not as unlike Ireland x 2, Wales and Scotland, we have already qualified - shows how garbage the other home nations are when we, supposedly pathetic, are already in Russia and this weekend could play our Under 10 team.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 am

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Come on guys, England FC is dead, and has been for at least a decade. I haven't watched a game for years, what is the point?. I'd take 3 points in an end of season kick about over us winning the World Cup.

Rubbish Mark, you've been living in Liverpool (Ireland) too long. Just because we criticise our national side does not mean it doesn't matter, it does matter to those of us proud to be English, of which I guess you aren't. I, like many other England fans, am fuming about our abysmal display tonight, however, I'll be watching on Sunday, even though it matters not as unlike Ireland x 2, Wales and Scotland, we have already qualified - shows how garbage the other home nations are when we, supposedly pathetic, are already in Russia and this weekend could play our Under 10 team.

Spot on Rob.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:33 am

Rob wrote:

I always watch England on TV but usually after about 10 minutes I'm that bored I find myself dicking about on facebook, youtube or just playing cards on the laptop while Glunn Hoddle drones on in the background.

We are to international football what Everton are to the EPL. They are never going to be bad enough to drop out of the top 20, but they're never going to be good enough to win anything either.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum