{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Beginning to see what we signed

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Beginning to see what we signed

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:04 pm

Today was a combination of mucky derby play and glimpses of quality where we strung together passages of pressure and good play. So two months in, I think that we are now beginning to see why players were signed.
Logan - actually caught a ball today and whilst he continues to frustrate with his dracula like fear of crosses justifies his No 1 status for me
Hunt - was surprised to see him come in after the Lincoln cup game and whilst he does not bomb forward like Mal again think he earns his shirt
Diamond - not seen enough of him to really comment other than Evans has the right pairing at centre half with Murfin and Pierce
Murfin - Ronseal against the long high ball - shouts Murf and heads it almost without exception. Has let the ball bounce a few times too many but seems to be forming a fantastic partnership with Pierce
Anderson - was surprised by his lack of pace when i first saw him and was won over by his work rate. Today seemed to sum him up - did what the team needed, was brave as a lion, had appalling distribution for half the game but then in the second was more effective but unspectacular
Mellis - should be starting in all games but his performances have not earned this. He is going to be the key this season, if he is consistently strong and influential we will go up
Atkinson - Centre midfield for me not wide. Almost unnoticeable today whilst being one of more effective players (if that makes sense) as martin said in today's report - workmanlike. Still not convinced
Butcher - Almost the same as Mellis. Had expected better but shows that there is more to come.
Digby - lost of effort but doesn't seem to be able to command the midfield. There have often been gaps in midfield when he plays
Angol - mixed performances to date and hasn't lived up to expectation.
Hemmings - lots of effort on his debut and until today was struggling to show how he scored so many last year. The only difference today was that we were getting more balls into the box from the flanks. I think he should be starting with Rose regularly. Won't score many but seems to give Rose a sharper edge than Angol
Spencer - just don't get why we signed him. Would prefer to see youth players on the bench than him
Sterling-James - potential galore and seemed to grow in confidence today. Would play him before Anderson on the wing and, for me, is about level with Potter for a place but about potential mainly.

Too many of these players have yet to show us their full potential but each of them have shown us glimpses of quality. Now we need to string together more than 20 minutes patches. Hopefully, today's second half has shown that they can do this. I know that I am an eternal optimist, but i think this is a squad that can do it.

I now predict a right drubbing at Colchester for making such a daft comment :lol:
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tainted Soul says I am great!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Re: Beginning to see what we signed

Postby joey bananas » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:25 pm

Pretty crap summing up of our players there to be fair George..
He who laughs last clearly didn't get it...
joey bananas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:02 am

It probably is, Joey, and reflects my level of celebration after beating the bedwetters. But I get so sick of the silence on here when we play well or, in this case, we beat the league leaders. If we had lost it would have been mayhem on here so thought i would post anything - even if of poor quality!!!!!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:14 am

Well sad George, agree with most of what you write.

I too feel our weakness is in the midfield area, we are ok pasding the ball in general but winning it centrally ls a shortcoming. Should we be in the play off positions, or bretter, come January we will need someone in their to do a job.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 am

Key question - Oldwest - are Butcher and Mellis the right pairing to form a midfield partnership? I think they are but not showing the form they were signed on. If Evans can get it out of them then great, if not - what is the right partnership?
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:01 am

Agree that it should be busier after a win, there was a meltdown on Tuesday night (and rightly so after that performance) but a bit quiet last night. Maybe many out celebrating.

My views on the new signings as follows:

Logan and mirfin both came in for some stick early on and didn’t look to be the players we were told that they are but both have been impressive of late and settling in nicely.

Results have got better since Hunt has come into the side. He’s a steady player that seems good defensively but doesn’t offer as much offensively as Benning, but this allows his winger to push on further knowing Hunt has him covered.

Atkinson. A centre mid for me, always works hard abd this work rate allowed us to gradually take control of the midfield yesterday.

Digby. Inconsistent is probably the word I’d use, has had a couple of games where he looks too good followed by a couple of poor games. I read that he started as a defender and was moved into midfield so maybe he hasn’t found the right position yet or just still learning the role.

Mellis. Looks quality on the ball but a bit lightweight off it, feels a bit of a luxury due to this and I don’t think Evans trusts him in the battles.
Jimstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:37 am

We have great players flr thus level. They are still working out each others nuances. If we are top 5 at christmas we'll kick on and go up. Just like steve says we will.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:02 pm

My view is that we are doing OK - but we need to improve in order to get promotion, as this is an exceptionally tight league 2, with about 12 teams realistically fancying promotion.
Some players are shaping up well and some suggest that they might not be quite as good as we had hoped. Time will tell - it is a long season, but some movement in the January transfer window is inevitable with Steve Evans at the helm.
The two best players so far are Pearce & Rose (which is ironic given that they were inherited from a couple of years ago!). Byrom & Mirfin have had a good start.
Still not totally convinced by Logan - but to be fair, he has made some great saves in recent games and hasn't been at fault for many goals.
Still yet to see the best from MacDonald, Anderson, Butcher, Mellis, Angol & Hemmings. They clearly have the potential, but these guys need to turn it on to make the side really click.
A slight concern about the coaching side regarding set pieces: we are vulnerable defending crosses & corners and seem wasteful with our own set-pieces when Byrom isn't playing.
Not sure what to make of our fitness levels, so far? (we seem a little vulnerable in the closing stages of some games)
Club captain, Zander Diamond isn't even on the bench ...... Is he injured? If so, whats the prognosis?
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes diamond is injured as Steve said on Thursday. Both him and Byrom are roughly a week away from being fit.
Stags 2002
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:42 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:We have great players flr thus level. They are still working out each others nuances. If we are top 5 at christmas we'll kick on and go up. Just like steve says we will.

Listening to t'Beeb post match interview with Evo the Jan transfer window could well see more additions, 2-3 according to him. He say's we'll be chucking lots of bags of coal onto the train in the 2nd half of t'season.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Spiritater wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:We have great players flr thus level. They are still working out each others nuances. If we are top 5 at christmas we'll kick on and go up. Just like steve says we will.

Listening to t'Beeb post match interview with Evo the Jan transfer window could well see more additions, 2-3 according to him. He say's we'll be chucking lots of bags of coal onto the train in the 2nd half of t'season.

I think he said 1-2 Spiro.
---------------

Steve Evans told Charlie Slater on BBC Radio Nottingham:
"if we're in the top group in January, I know the players now that I want to bring in, and it's only 1 or 2"

----------------
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The One » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

I think he said 1-2 Spiro.
---------------

Steve Evans told Charlie Slater on BBC Radio Nottingham:
"if we're in the top group in January, I know the players now that I want to bring in, and it's only 1 or 2"

----------------

Shhh Yorkies clock will start ticking now ;)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi George,

Butcher and Mellis shoud be a god pairing but hate to say ths, I thnk the team are missing Byrom and that's coming not from his greatest fan. Byrom seems to make simple mistakes but we are mssing him IMO.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby joey bananas » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:58 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:It probably is, Joey, and reflects my level of celebration after beating the bedwetters. But I get so sick of the silence on here when we play well or, in this case, we beat the league leaders. If we had lost it would have been mayhem on here so thought i would post anything - even if of poor quality!!!!!

Sorry mate but I should have put a lol or a winking emoji after what I said as I was actually sort of agreeing with you but it didn't come across that way. Ah well , as they say you should never text after beer lol
He who laughs last clearly didn't get it...
joey bananas
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Thank god for that!
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:43 pm

I think what we are seeing is the depth of squad - Byrom , Diamond and White injured. Mellis, Angol, Bennett, and others on the bench. Digby and Benning not in the 18. 2 quality keepers

I was a bit uncertain when I saw the team on Saturday but it was spot on including the decision to play Anderson at rb ( who saw that coming ). I also think Butcher will be a massive player as we move through the season

I think we have to get used to Evans picking a team to win a game rather than 'best 11' - fairly confident we will be up there ,

Anyway - great performance on Saturday so lets relax and enjoy
yorkstag
First Team
First Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum