{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Is it still Evans out ?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Is it still Evans out ?

Postby spainmick » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:47 pm

I suppose after today the manager is a superb tactician and will take the stags to League 1....despite fans calling for his head after Cheltenham ?
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Is it still Evans out ?

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:51 pm

He's our king again now he's not lost a game :lol:

Do you think he knows his best 11? Well he knows it today!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I live in Spain so don't watch...follow them on here and on BBC !!! The fans seem very fickle !!!
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Im not the real OND » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:10 pm

I've been critical of Evans. Because he has been making poor decisions.

However today his game plan worked to perfection. Ditching the diamond that hasn't worked helped.

Butcher and Atkinson in midfield won the. Battle. Butcher added some much needed physical prescence.

Rose had his best game for us. Mirfin and Pearce were excellent.

Not pretty at all today, very little football played but a great fighting performance and one that was very much needed.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:15 pm

you're only as good as your last game!
told you, what carolyn wants, carolyn gets.
m1cksut
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Keep it Simple » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:42 pm

I think the comment made by one of our fellow posters was taken out of context, nobody in their right mind would seriously say SE should have gone after Cheltenham , however that was a mystifying and disastrous result against a team 4th from bottom. So jumping on the I told you so bandwagon is a bit out of context, people should be allowed a different opinion without being shot down.
For me I am happy to have a healthy slice of Humble Pie, no problem with that at all.
anyone who was there today though would have to say that although it was hard fought, the first half was not great, typical local derby stuff.
Second half a mistake leads to Danny scoring, and yet again County collapse big time.

Let's see what the next game brings eh, before we think everything in our garden is rosy. Consistency is required , but today, oh yes it feels great again!!! :mtfc:
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:51 pm

Never called for his head, I stated that even when we've picked up points, the football and performances havn't been great so a loss was coming at Cheltenham.

Today the football was still very direct but we had an energy and purpose to get amongst them and they didn't like it. After the first went in through their mistake, they threw the towel in. Can't fault the effort and intensity today at all. Imagine how much better we could be though if we coupled that with utilising our flair players more by playing more football.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:07 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Never called for his head, I stated that even when we've picked up points, the football and performances havn't been great so a loss was coming at Cheltenham.

Today the football was still very direct but we had an energy and purpose to get amongst them and they didn't like it. After the first went in through their mistake, they threw the towel in. Can't fault the effort and intensity today at all. Imagine how much better we could be though if we coupled that with utilising our flair players more by playing more football.

So you still think you know more about the game than Evans !
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:09 pm

It was never SE out for me, whether we won or lost today.

Could have easily been 5-0.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:13 pm

abc wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Never called for his head, I stated that even when we've picked up points, the football and performances havn't been great so a loss was coming at Cheltenham.

Not saying I do am I abc? (which I've worked out stands for Always Be Confrontational.....I never see you post on here ever as a sole poster, every post you make comes immediately after having hit the "Quote" button) but I certainly wasn't expecting us to be a Harrod's version of a Paul Cox team given the quality of players at our disposal.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:28 pm

Could the bad performance midweek be down to the fact we had County just after and a virus in the camp.
cassellswasmagic
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:46 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
abc wrote:

Not saying I do am I abc? (which I've worked out stands for Always Be Confrontational.....I never see you post on here ever as a sole poster, every post you make comes immediately after having hit the "Quote" button) but I certainly wasn't expecting us to be a Harrod's version of a Paul Cox team given the quality of players at our disposal.

I'm not being confrontational, I'm just realistic. This is fourth division football. It seems to me that you (as well as others) expect football akin to the likes of which Arsenal play ? PS don't take things so personal, just chill a bit.
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby Bradders » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:49 pm

I'm sure that MacDonald would be disappointed to hear that we were direct and didn't play much football. He took the ball forward again and again, with Sterling-James also using possession well. But in a match like this there was always going to be a battle in midfield, and after we won it you could see players start to pass along the ground more instead of just having to do what they could. I was hoping to see a spirited performance rather than a pretty one, and that's what we got - but there was football played in there too.
In any case, it was entertaining stuff.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:53 pm

abc wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
abc wrote:

I'm not being confrontational, I'm just realistic. This is fourth division football. It seems to me that you (as well as others) expect football akin to the likes of which Arsenal play ? PS don't take things so personal, just chill a bit.

I'm not expecting Arsenal football, but I'm expecting more than just lumping it and trying to pick up second balls when you look at the types of players we have. It's the best squad in our history, not the best 11, but certainly a squad of strength.

Dearden had a thrown together squad that he had to chuck young kids into to fill out because he had no option other than to do that.....turned out to play the best football we've seen in the last 20+ years, and that cost naff all. So is it harsh to expect more?
Last edited by stagmanrob on Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Beat Grimsby, County and Lincoln.... Next one is chesterfield!

Evans is right when he says the best this side will play will be after christmas, if we can get up there around christmas we'll go up. He knows what he's doing.
Sedgwick
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby abc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:58 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
abc wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
abc wrote:

I'm not expecting Arsenal football, but I'm expecting more than just lumping it and trying to pick up second balls when you look at the types of players we have. It's the best squad in our history, not the best 11, but certainly a squad of strength.

Dearden had a thrown together squad that he had to chuck young kids into to fill out because he had no option other than to do that.....turned out to play the best football we've seen in the last 20+ years, and that cost naff all. So is it harsh to expect more?

"One man's pleasure is another's pain"
abc
First Team
First Team

Postby Beano » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:01 pm

This is a fans discussion forum, looking back at the post Cheltenham match comments the vast majority were offering reasoned debate. Some were more critical than others, but the majority were merely stating frustration at the teams recent performances and playing style (considering the rumoured financial backing of the manager)

We should never be in a situation where this debate is stifled by certain elements of the local media constantly berating us or looking for 'an angle' because they are too idle to write an original article.

It's our forum, with its own characters, a varied cross section of fans, and amongst us there will be differing opinions, disagreements, and the odd bit of banter and light hearted insults.

Long live Stagsnet (and all who post in her)
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:06 pm

Beano wrote:This is a fans discussion forum, looking back at the post Cheltenham match comments the vast majority were offering reasoned debate. Some were more critical than others, but the majority were merely stating frustration at the teams recent performances and playing style (considering the rumoured financial backing of the manager)

We should never be in a situation where this debate is stifled by certain elements of the local media constantly berating us or looking for 'an angle' because they are too idle to write an original article.

It's our forum, with its own characters, a varied cross section of fans, and amongst us there will be differing opinions, disagreements, and the odd bit of banter and light hearted insults.

Long live Stagsnet (and all who post in her)

Well said, sirrah!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:13 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
abc wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
abc wrote:

I think county who are top ,played much more direct than us ,lump ,lump, lump to Stead etc.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:31 pm

They certainly did. I was under no illusions that County would be like that either. It's been said that they're not a dazzling team but just very well organised. Nolan is a Big Sam disciple after all.

We were better than them today, but so we should be given the different spend. I'm not saying we should be walking the league either, it will take time.

I just can't see people flocking back to the Mill if we're still playing ugly....it didn't happen in the Conference when we went on a record unbeaten run.

All we want, is not only to be successful, but to have the crowds and the whole town behind us whilst doing so. I'm sure we agree on that, because if it happens, there's no telling how far we could go given the ambition behind the scenes.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby zygon2003 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:45 pm

I never thought 'out' but can't say I am overly impressed by his team after the stink he caused over Murray's recruitment policy, especially as the previous regime seems to have gifted us our best striker. Great result today, but for me the jury is still out on Evans. Not sure he knows his best team and the chipping and changing is too much.
zygon2003
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:49 pm

stagmanrob wrote:They certainly did. I was under no illusions that County would be like that either. It's been said that they're not a dazzling team but just very well organised. Nolan is a Big Sam disciple after all.

We were better than them today, but so we should be given the different spend. I'm not saying we should be walking the league either, it will take time.

I just can't see people flocking back to the Mill if we're still playing ugly....it didn't happen in the Conference when we went on a record unbeaten run.

All we want, is not only to be successful, but to have the crowds and the whole town behind us whilst doing so. I'm sure we agree on that, because if it happens, there's no telling how far we could go given the ambition behind the scenes.
Stagmanrob, I think you need to realise we are league 2. Also the whole town will never be behind us. Just enjoy what we are and what we've got, is my advice. Despite his obvious flaws many league 1 and 2 clubs would want SE as their manager.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Beano wrote:Long live Stagsnet (and all who post in her)

Sexist ;)
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Chander Lear » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:09 pm

We were horrendous last tuesday
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:22 pm

stagmanrob wrote:They certainly did. I was under no illusions that County would be like that either. It's been said that they're not a dazzling team but just very well organised. Nolan is a Big Sam disciple after all.

Over 7000 in the mill today, we beat the league leaders 3-1 in an entertaining game.

A great response from the team and manager to the midweek defeat which sent this board into meltdown.

However, you think we should win anyway as we've spent more, even though we were playing the form team of the division.

Evans can't win when people are hyper-critical and look at the world with a half empty glass and expect us to be knocking the ball around like Man City.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum