{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gabbitas Gate -Closed 1PM + F/T for 20 minutes

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Gabbitas Gate closed Clownty game 9 am - 3.30 pm

Postby crazystagdad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 pm

and dont they allow away fans to come through gate from west stand side thus meaning away and home mingling before game yet stop home fans doing same from retail park
crazystagdad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

crazystagdad wrote:coaches could easily be filled right outside quarry lane could they not ?

Yep they could and away fans asked to stop in their seats for 10 mins after the final whistle.. nah nah never work that !! :?
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Just wait till there's trouble on Nottingham road and someone runs infront of a car. Who will be blamed then? Wouldn't happen on quarry lane..
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ironbru » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm

I also do not agree with cars in the one call car park moving before all supporters have left the west stand!
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:58 pm

ironbru wrote:I also do not agree with cars in the one call car park moving before all supporters have left the west stand!

:good_post:
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:10 pm

ironbru wrote:I also do not agree with cars in the one call car park moving before all supporters have left the west stand!

Causes havoc, can't remember who we played but fairly sure there was an old geezer and his mrs in a flash car almost running folk over to get out the car park.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Don't they hold the cars back after the game now then? They did last season.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Re: The Gabbitas Gate closed Grimsby game 9 am - 3.30 pm

Postby Keep it Simple » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:33 am

adamstag wrote:What is this guy on? Are we playing at field mill or Afghanistan!

Killing people or blowing them up does not discrimate between kids at an Ariana Grande concert or Mansfield v Notts County.
Do each other a favour and be vigilant. Gets my backing.
Keep it Simple
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:44 am

Billy the fish wrote:
crazystagdad wrote:coaches could easily be filled right outside quarry lane could they not ?

Yep they could and away fans asked to stop in their seats for 10 mins after the final whistle.. nah nah never work that !! :?

But then home fans who exit via QL are mixing with away fans. This is how it used to be and it kicked off on a fairly regular basis.

Its funny how a few people on Stagsnet, annoyed that they have to walk a little further because a gate is closed think they know better than the police who are paid to ensure everyone is safe, and who have done a pretty good job in recent years of keeping the peace.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:34 am

Jamie wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

But then home fans who exit via QL are mixing with away fans. This is how it used to be and it kicked off on a fairly regular basis.

Its funny how a few people on Stagsnet, annoyed that they have to walk a little further because a gate is closed think they know better than the police who are paid to ensure everyone is safe, and who have done a pretty good job in recent years of keeping the peace.

Just because a person in a psition of authority sayssomething or makes a decision, that doesn't make it automatically correct.

You should look up Milgram's electricution experiment. You'd have been frying people left & right just because the guy with the clipboard told you to. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:40 am

Public safety is always paramount, just because the vast majority act sensibly and responsibly doesn't mean the authorities can relax.

Rather get home late than spend four hours in A and E.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:11 am

oldweststander wrote:Public safety is always paramount, just because the vast majority act sensibly and responsibly doesn't mean the authorities can relax.

Rather get home late than spend four hours in A and E.

I totally agree with that. My only concern is that, the measures of the gate and early ko may be a waste of time, because trouble is likely to flare up anyway. A case of the few idiot "fans" spoiling it for the rest of us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ironbru » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am

Dan wrote:Don't they hold the cars back after the game now then? They did last season.

They do, but not for nearly long enough though.
ironbru
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 am

Wouldn't it be a good idea to re-open the turnstiles on Bishop Street and make entry/exit to the Quarry Lane end from there? I would have thought that it's not beyond realistic to achieve. Bishop Street creates segregation by it's position, or is that just too simple?
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:49 am

Structure's unsafe though. Just imagine if Mr County Councillor stubbed his toe on a loose bit of concrete it'd be all over the local press, pictures on the front page with him with glum face n pointing to his sore big toe.
SAG'd have to call an emergency meeting etc, etc.

No, bin that idea.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Oak Tree Stag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:11 am

It would include having to spend some money on sweeping up loose bits of conny etc. With a bit of thought and planning the solution could be there; pre and post match segregation much easier to control, or am i being to simplistic?
Oak Tree Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amberheart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 am

Oak Tree Stag wrote:Wouldn't it be a good idea to re-open the turnstiles on Bishop Street and make entry/exit to the Quarry Lane end from there? I would have thought that it's not beyond realistic to achieve. Bishop Street creates segregation by it's position, or is that just too simple?

Good idea ! one for the future when the stand gets redeveloped
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 am

Good idea re Bishop St, one for the back burner if the new stand/hotel are ever built.

Not something that could happen for now.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:58 am

Sneag wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

Just because a person in a psition of authority sayssomething or makes a decision, that doesn't make it automatically correct.

You should look up Milgram's electricution experiment. You'd have been frying people left & right just because the guy with the clipboard told you to. :lol:

But there approach is working. Hardly any trouble involving home fans at the Mill for years now.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Jamie wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

But there approach is working. Hardly any trouble involving home fans at the Mill for years now.
I have a feeling you may be tempting fate Jamie.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:50 pm

Jamie wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:

I think if you compared the last 10 years since the end swap with the previous 10 years then I don't think it's made one iota of difference to the levels of crowd trouble.

The catalyst for the end change was trouble after the Donny game in 2004 which could have been averted just by keeping the Donny fans in 10 minutes. And to be perfectly honest even that level of trouble was piffling compared to what used to go off in the 70/80s.

The levels of segregation & crowd control measures are massively disproportionate to any issues we have now or have ever had in the past and are way OTT compared to anything I've seen at other grounds around the country.

Instead of passively accepting being treated like crap, take a look around and ask yourself is this in any way proportionate.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:32 pm

I think if you compared the last 10 years since the end swap with the previous 10 years then I don't think it's made one iota of difference to the levels of crowd trouble.

The catalyst for the end change was trouble after the Donny game in 2004 which could have been averted just by keeping the Donny fans in 10 minutes. And to be perfectly honest even that level of trouble was piffling compared to what used to go off in the 70/80s.

The levels of segregation & crowd control measures are massively disproportionate to any issues we have now or have ever had in the past and are way OTT compared to anything I've seen at other grounds around the country.

Instead of passively accepting being treated like crap, take a look around and ask yourself is this in any way proportionate.[/quote]
Good post! Exactly what I've been thinking
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:55 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:12 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

I'm not exactly sure why a 1pm kickoff helps so much. There seems to be an assumption that it's obvious and needs no explaining, but at Lincoln I really couldn't see what was gained. I arrived at 11 and although normally I don't bother going to the pub before the match, this time I went to get something to eat and had to put up with a very raucous (albeit good-natured) atmosphere. Obviously many Stags and Lincoln fans had already been in the pub for quite a while before then, and there must have been lots for whom the kickoff time meant that they'd go to the pub first.

Had the kickoff been at 3 I wouldn't have needed to find somewhere to eat first so could have gone straight to the ground. I was all very inconvenient, and for the wife a bit intimidating (she'd normally drop me off near the ground and then go into town).

I'm guessing that a 3 pm kickoff means that Notts fans will stay on in Mansfield after the match and spend the evening there. So moving to 1 o'clock means that they'll spend the morning drinking but then go home after the match - although I'm not sure that the troublemakers won't simply go into town anyway after the match and annoy the shoppers.

Obviously many other clubs aren't subject to this restriction on a frequent basis, so it has to be something uniquely Mansfield-related. I just haven't seen a reasonable explanation.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:25 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

Ah! Intelligence. Start applying some please.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum