{ the forum }

Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Evans' Antics

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Evans' Antics

Postby cerfjaune » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:43 am

Is it club policy to fine players who get themselves sent off?

If so, JR needs to tell Evans that his pay packet will be a little lighter this week.
cerfjaune
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

It will be interesting to see what strategy Evans applies to the County game.

4-4-1-1 maybe?
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Will he receive a touchline ban for being sent off?
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Im not the real OND wrote:I've banged on about Evans enough. I nailed my flag firmly to the mast long before he joined us and that hasn't changed.

But in a strange way, I can see past the antics. I don't like it, but its pretty obvious it's an act. Aimed at gaining a slight advantage (though I personally believe it works against him more often than not) or, as in this case and Grimsby, deflect from another poor managerial performance. Some see this as 'passion. Better to show emotion than stand there with your hands in your pockets. But, as ever with Evans, it's an act.

What I can't see past is his apparent lack of managerial nous. I must say, although I don't like him, I expected better. He has persisted with his chosen formation, trying to cram his players in regardless of suitability, and it hasn't worked in the majority of cases. Despite having arguably one of the most talented squads we've seen there remains a lack of flexibity. Substitutions are like for like swaps or are made to correct fairly obvious errors in the starting line up.

There has been little progression for me despite a successful recruitment campaign. He seems to have bought players that are great on paper, but ones that don't suit his preferred system. I am surprised that there isn't improvement in the teams shape, I have seen very little evidence of players or units improving since signing which suggests a lack of coaching and structure. Banging the best players into the first eleven does not make a team.

Defense has been weakened this season in my opinion. It certainly hasn't got better but has lost any attacking threat that his system relies on.

Midfield is all at sea which is unsurprising given we usually play with one central midfielder. The lack of a physical holding midfielder is costing us as I predicted preseason. Midfield quite simply isn't up for a fight.

On paper, the strikers have arguably improved. But if he is going to persist with the style and formation he likes, they are going to struggle. Again, if he wants to play the way he is, he has bought the wrong players.

My prediction is that he is out putting feelers to other clubs as we speak and will be gone in January after giving Radford another shopping list and getting short shrift. Of course this won't be his fault. He won't have had the backing, previous manager, fans without perspective, bad referees etc etc.

Nothing more to add except: excellent post. Sums it
up perfectly.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:It will be interesting to see what strategy Evans applies to the County game.

4-4-1-1 maybe?

Depends who the 4 in the middle are, if it includes Digby and Butcher again then The Lord help us
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Im not the real OND wrote:I've banged on about Evans enough. I nailed my flag firmly to the mast long before he joined us and that hasn't changed.

But in a strange way, I can see past the antics. I don't like it, but its pretty obvious it's an act. Aimed at gaining a slight advantage (though I personally believe it works against him more often than not) or, as in this case and Grimsby, deflect from another poor managerial performance. Some see this as 'passion. Better to show emotion than stand there with your hands in your pockets. But, as ever with Evans, it's an act.

What I can't see past is his apparent lack of managerial nous. I must say, although I don't like him, I expected better. He has persisted with his chosen formation, trying to cram his players in regardless of suitability, and it hasn't worked in the majority of cases. Despite having arguably one of the most talented squads we've seen there remains a lack of flexibity. Substitutions are like for like swaps or are made to correct fairly obvious errors in the starting line up.

There has been little progression for me despite a successful recruitment campaign. He seems to have bought players that are great on paper, but ones that don't suit his preferred system. I am surprised that there isn't improvement in the teams shape, I have seen very little evidence of players or units improving since signing which suggests a lack of coaching and structure. Banging the best players into the first eleven does not make a team.

Defense has been weakened this season in my opinion. It certainly hasn't got better but has lost any attacking threat that his system relies on.

Midfield is all at sea which is unsurprising given we usually play with one central midfielder. The lack of a physical holding midfielder is costing us as I predicted preseason. Midfield quite simply isn't up for a fight.

On paper, the strikers have arguably improved. But if he is going to persist with the style and formation he likes, they are going to struggle. Again, if he wants to play the way he is, he has bought the wrong players.

My prediction is that he is out putting feelers to other clubs as we speak and will be gone in January after giving Radford another shopping list and getting short shrift. Of course this won't be his fault. He won't have had the backing, previous manager, fans without perspective, bad referees etc etc.

Nothing more to add except: excellent post. Sums it
up perfectly.

Agreed!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:20 pm

James wrote:I'm sorry, but none of us can moan about his antics on the sidelines. We all knew full well what we were signing up for when he joined, we'd seen it first hand when he was at Crawley. Pretty much every single fan was behind the appointment, we can't moan now we've had one bad result & a couple of below average performances.

FWIW, I thought his interview after the game was one of his best since being here. No excuses, and fully admitted we were tripe.

When you say ` pretty much every single fan was behind his appointment you are most definitely wrong. Not only myself, but quite a lot of other contributors to this forum warned and predicted not only about his behaviour but also about his utter lack of coaching skills and his complete disregard for developing young players.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:37 pm

garlic wrote:
James wrote:I'm sorry, but none of us can moan about his antics on the sidelines. We all knew full well what we were signing up for when he joined, we'd seen it first hand when he was at Crawley. Pretty much every single fan was behind the appointment, we can't moan now we've had one bad result & a couple of below average performances.

FWIW, I thought his interview after the game was one of his best since being here. No excuses, and fully admitted we were tripe.

When you say ` pretty much every single fan was behind his appointment you are most definitely wrong. Not only myself, but quite a lot of other contributors to this forum warned and predicted not only about his behaviour but also about his utter lack of coaching skills and his complete disregard for developing young players.

Okay, i'll rephrase, the majority were behind his appointment.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SidneyOttewell » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:49 pm

I agree, especially with your last paragraph.

I also fear for his health when he's screaming and shouting at the officials like that.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:35 pm

If any of you have read 'The Journeyman' book you will know excactly how Evans runs the dressing room. He has 0% respect for players - no loyalty whatsoever, humiliates and solates key figures, unpredictable, eratic, telling players they are part his plans when secretly trying to sort out loan deals, playing childish mind-games to the point where him and Raynor become a bit of a joke.

There's a story about the Crawley team eating fish and chips on the coach on the way back from a game. Steve Evans was sulking and declined to eat but then changed his mind when he smelt them. He sent Raynor to the back of the bus to get his portion but they had all gone. Steve was apoplectic, cancelled their day off and had them in for training and intensive questioning over the fish and chips. Players who he thought were being dishonest about the chips were then dropped for the next few games. Funny and alarming in equal measures.

The turning point on Evans for me was Exeter at home last season and the run of games that followed. We surrendered a series of comfortable 1-0 leads by drastically changing tactics and sitting back in dominant games which ultimately cost us. I didn't like the way he continues to bad-mouth Murray yet it's clear for everyone to see that the best players in the squad are the ones that he brought in.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Love a good Stagsnet meltdown
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Madstagsfan2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 pm

I've always thought that his touchline antics have nothing but a negative effect. I read in Cloughies autobiography that he went out of his way to be friendly to the officials and told his players to do the same.

We are still in an excellent position, yes it's taking longer than expected for Steve to find his best line-up. But all this talk of us being "favourites " has probably set our expectations unreasonably high. Since our return to the Football League we have made steady progress which is surely better than boom or bust.

And, let's face it, it's very, very sweet looking down on that lot the other side of the M1.
Madstagsfan2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Madstagsfan2 wrote:I've always thought that his touchline antics have nothing but a negative effect. I read in Cloughies autobiography that he went out of his way to be friendly to the officials and told his players to do the same.

We are still in an excellent position, yes it's taking longer than expected for Steve to find his best line-up. But all this talk of us being "favourites " has probably set our expectations unreasonably high. Since our return to the Football League we have made steady progress which is surely better than boom or bust.

And, let's face it, it's very, very sweet looking down on that lot the other side of the M1.

So you don't think this season could be boom or bust?
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm

I am seeing this from afar as I'm in Spain for a few days but I for one did not welcome Evans and his antics. He is an embarrassment to the club the fans and the owner. The only mildly amusement is seeing how long it takes for the ref to talk to him. Presumably if he was sent off last night he will get a touchline ban for at least one game further weakening his managerial control
Bros
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 am

Nobody would give a flying peanut if we were sitting pretty at the top of the league.
All the Captains of Hindsight United are now popping up with their two penneth.

Typical Stagsnet

This place is getting as bad as the followers page
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Footie mad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Must say I agree with most of these posts on here.
Footie mad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Tawnystag wrote:If any of you have read 'The Journeyman' book you will know excactly how Evans runs the dressing room. He has 0% respect for players - no loyalty whatsoever, humiliates and solates key figures, unpredictable, eratic, telling players they are part his plans when secretly trying to sort out loan deals, playing childish mind-games to the point where him and Raynor become a bit of a joke.

There's a story about the Crawley team eating fish and chips on the coach on the way back from a game. Steve Evans was sulking and declined to eat but then changed his mind when he smelt them. He sent Raynor to the back of the bus to get his portion but they had all gone. Steve was apoplectic, cancelled their day off and had them in for training and intensive questioning over the fish and chips. Players who he thought were being dishonest about the chips were then dropped for the next few games. Funny and alarming in equal measures.

The turning point on Evans for me was Exeter at home last season and the run of games that followed. We surrendered a series of comfortable 1-0 leads by drastically changing tactics and sitting back in dominant games which ultimately cost us. I didn't like the way he continues to bad-mouth Murray yet it's clear for everyone to see that the best players in the squad are the ones that he brought in.

I've tried to get hold of this but can't find it anywhere.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Dan wrote:
Tawnystag wrote:If any of you have read 'The Journeyman' book you will know excactly how Evans runs the dressing room. He has 0% respect for players - no loyalty whatsoever, humiliates and solates key figures, unpredictable, eratic, telling players they are part his plans when secretly trying to sort out loan deals, playing childish mind-games to the point where him and Raynor become a bit of a joke.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-ody ... 1849548544
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:59 pm

I see no one cares about his antics when we win
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:01 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I see no one cares about his antics when we win

I do, he behaved himself last weekend, which was nice to see. He didn't at Cheltenham, was sent off and was rightly criticised for it.

You need to extract your head from Evans' backside Bobby :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Rob wrote:

I do, he behaved himself last weekend, which was nice to see. He didn't at Cheltenham, was sent off and was rightly criticised for it.

i wish i could rob! i’m firmly wedged in here and i don’t think i’ll be getting out soon :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Forever Optimistic » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-ody ... 1849548544

Excellent book, especially the second half it. Doesn't feel like he's changed at all from his Crawley days. It's the players I feel for if hes still the same.
Something tells me we're into something good
Forever Optimistic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 pm

The turning point on Evans for me was Exeter at home last season and the run of games that followed. We surrendered a series of comfortable 1-0 leads by drastically changing tactics and sitting back in dominant games which ultimately cost us. I didn't like the way he continues to bad-mouth Murray yet
it's clear for everyone to see that the best players in the squad are the ones that he brought in.

Read the book. What stood out for me was despite Evans antics, all the players seem desperate to please him, a bit like a naughty youngster trying to please a father I suppose.
Chris M
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:

i wish i could rob! i’m firmly wedged in here and i don’t think i’ll be getting out soon :lol:

I'd rather not think about that to be honest :lol: Mind you, watching this England performance makes me kind of wish I was up there with you!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 pm

I’m not sure this qualifies as performing, quite the opposite.
northern stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum