{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Evans' Antics

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Evans' Antics

Postby Random Hero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:07 am

Just got back.

Now I must admit, when Evans (and Raynor) first joined last season, it was mildly entertaining watching their antics on the bench, the berating of the referee etc.

But more recently, it has really started to grate on me, and is becoming ugly, embarrassing and a distraction to the players.

Tonight he was given his first talking to a new record of 5 minutes in.

He was then spoken to again in the first half and once in the second before finally being sent off.

Now admittedly, it was one of the worst displays of officiating I have ever witnessed in my 25 years of watching the Stags.

But that doesn't mean that Evans can behave like a petulant schoolchild every time a decision goes against us.

Referees know exactly what he is about, and it won't alter the game. If anything, referees are perhaps being harsher on us knowing full well that Evans will appeal every decision.

At 2-0 down on 70 minutes tonight we needed our manager on the touchline. He wasn't there.

At least he didn't have to watch the rest of that disgusting performance, like the travelling, paying fans he disrespected tonight by being sent off... in the process leaving him unable to give the managerial guidance to give his team a fighting chance of coming back into the game.

I must admit, I was much more angry at full time, but a long drive home has allowed me time to calm down.

However, this is something that has been leaving a bad taste in my mouth for quite a while. It doesn't feel at all 'Mansfield', and isn't something I want to see at my club.

Just me, or?
Panatha mou, se aghapo, opou ki an pezis panda tha s' akoloutho.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Re: Evans' Antics

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 am

Good post, it's easy to be a good winner but being a good loser with class is the best way to get respect and at the minute we have no class on the pitch and off it.
CassellsCap
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby diablo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:29 am

Not giving the club a good image, he needs to grow up
diablo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BigGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:47 am

If you can ever get hold of some footage of Crawley's FA cup win at Torquay then you'll see all the disgusting antics in one small section.

I was horrified that day what they got up to but prepared to give em both a chance as they had what it takes to get our club promoted.

That they still might have no doubt, but this poster has fell out of love already with Mr Evans and his bully boy sidekick already.

Sorry, I just don't like the way they are carrying on, need to win me round again.
BigGuy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:39 am

I'm sorry, but none of us can moan about his antics on the sidelines. We all knew full well what we were signing up for when he joined, we'd seen it first hand when he was at Crawley. Pretty much every single fan was behind the appointment, we can't moan now we've had one bad result & a couple of below average performances.

FWIW, I thought his interview after the game was one of his best since being here. No excuses, and fully admitted we were tripe.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:41 am

Random Hero wrote:Just got back.

Now I must admit, when Evans (and Raynor) first joined last season, it was mildly entertaining watching their antics on the bench, the berating of the referee etc.

But more recently, it has really started to grate on me, and is becoming ugly, embarrassing and a distraction to the players.

Tonight he was given his first talking to a new record of 5 minutes in.

He was then spoken to again in the first half and once in the second before finally being sent off.

Now admittedly, it was one of the worst displays of officiating I have ever witnessed in my 25 years of watching the Stags.

But that doesn't mean that Evans can behave like a petulant schoolchild every time a decision goes against us.

Referees know exactly what he is about, and it won't alter the game. If anything, referees are perhaps being harsher on us knowing full well that Evans will appeal every decision.

At 2-0 down on 70 minutes tonight we needed our manager on the touchline. He wasn't there.

At least he didn't have to watch the rest of that disgusting performance, like the travelling, paying fans he disrespected tonight by being sent off... in the process leaving him unable to give the managerial guidance to give his team a fighting chance of coming back into the game.

I must admit, I was much more angry at full time, but a long drive home has allowed me time to calm down.

However, this is something that has been leaving a bad taste in my mouth for quite a while. It doesn't feel at all 'Mansfield', and isn't something I want to see at my club.

Just me, or?

No. It's not just you. The man should be made to sit in the stands instead of cavorting around in the technical area. He would then see what WE are seeing. I think Raynor, on his own, would be less likely to behave so badly.

He speaks well in the media (but for Gods sake get the glasses adjusted!) but in front of fans, players and officials he behaves like an embarrassing clown.

Evans - Get a grip on your players, your selections and yourself. Alternatively, move on.
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 am

James wrote:I'm sorry, but none of us can moan about his antics on the sidelines. We all knew full well what we were signing up for when he joined, we'd seen it first hand when he was at Crawley. Pretty much every single fan was behind the appointment, we can't moan now we've had one bad result & a couple of below average performances.

It's actually more cringe worthy seeing it up close and personal to what we saw on highlights etc.

At Accrington both Raynor and Evans were chasing after the 4th official over a throw in that had been given to the home side, on the half way line no less which made not a jot of difference to the flow of the game. It was at the moment I started to question these two, I said it before last night as well btw.

Also, another reason I have an issue is signing the League 1 player of the year from last season, dropping him after 2 games then signing a replacement.

Now that is silly.
BigGuy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:11 am

BigGuy wrote:
James wrote:I'm sorry, but none of us can moan about his antics on the sidelines. We all knew full well what we were signing up for when he joined, we'd seen it first hand when he was at Crawley. Pretty much every single fan was behind the appointment, we can't moan now we've had one bad result & a couple of below average performances.

It's actually more cringe worthy seeing it up close and personal to what we saw on highlights etc.

At Accrington both Raynor and Evans were chasing after the 4th official over a throw in that had been given to the home side, on the half way line no less which made not a jot of difference to the flow of the game. It was at the moment I started to question these two, I said it before last night as well btw.

Also, another reason I have an issue is signing the League 1 player of the year from last season, dropping him after 2 games then signing a replacement.

Now that is silly.

Billy Sharp was League 1 player of the year 2017, it's a travesty he doesn't even make our bench? :roll:
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am

Not a prayer we would land the player of the year from league above.

Regardless of £££ on offer, we are still Mansfield. We are not fashionable in the slightest
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby steiner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 am

Its gone from one extreme to the other..Murray the inanimate corpse to Evo the kid who drank too many sugary drinks at the party,
I dont really mind Evans posturing when were playing a bit of footy and winning but when the team plays like last nights shocker then you wonder if even the players are being put off by it all.
steiner
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BigGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:01 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Billy Sharp was League 1 player of the year 2017, it's a travesty he doesn't even make our bench? :roll:

I am talking about Jacob Mellis who in some quarters was the best player, and in a lot certainly the best midfielder.

Don't let a small pedantic point overrule trying to shoot me down will you.

There are concerns and rightly so about a) his antics and b) signing too many players
BigGuy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:11 am

BigGuy wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

I am talking about Jacob Mellis who in some quarters was the best player, and in a lot certainly the best midfielder.

There are concerns and rightly so about a) his antics and b) signing too many players

That's the first time I've heard that from anyone but you. You made a statement that was totally inaccurate.
Next pile of bull dung please
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 am

Maybe you need to take a bit more notice of goings on in this country then, and in particular lower league football.

I've done trying to reason with you, a typical happy clapper.
BigGuy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Random Hero » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
BigGuy wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

That's the first time I've heard that from anyone but you. You made a statement that was totally inaccurate.
Next pile of bull dung please

It was actually Evans himself who said Mellis was L1 midfielder of the year in a presser.

As for 'knowing what we were getting', yes most Stags fans had always regarded him as a tool, as do fans of most league clubs. I was prepared to give him a chance and never quite knew how a) embarrassing and b) detrimental those antics could be until I started witnessing them week in, week out.

Evans let the travelling fans down last night by being stupidly sent off. It won't be the last time.
Panatha mou, se aghapo, opou ki an pezis panda tha s' akoloutho.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:19 am

BigGuy wrote:Maybe you need to take a bit more notice of goings on in this country then, and in particular lower league football.

I've done trying to reason with you, a typical happy clapper.

Eh, I rate Mellis, Ego thinks he doesn't work hard enough so will probably be dropped Saturday.

Happy clapper :lol: read through my posts, I'm accused of the opposite :roll:
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby Im not the real OND » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:27 am

I've banged on about Evans enough. I nailed my flag firmly to the mast long before he joined us and that hasn't changed.

But in a strange way, I can see past the antics. I don't like it, but its pretty obvious it's an act. Aimed at gaining a slight advantage (though I personally believe it works against him more often than not) or, as in this case and Grimsby, deflect from another poor managerial performance. Some see this as 'passion. Better to show emotion than stand there with your hands in your pockets. But, as ever with Evans, it's an act.

What I can't see past is his apparent lack of managerial nous. I must say, although I don't like him, I expected better. He has persisted with his chosen formation, trying to cram his players in regardless of suitability, and it hasn't worked in the majority of cases. Despite having arguably one of the most talented squads we've seen there remains a lack of flexibity. Substitutions are like for like swaps or are made to correct fairly obvious errors in the starting line up.

There has been little progression for me despite a successful recruitment campaign. He seems to have bought players that are great on paper, but ones that don't suit his preferred system. I am surprised that there isn't improvement in the teams shape, I have seen very little evidence of players or units improving since signing which suggests a lack of coaching and structure. Banging the best players into the first eleven does not make a team.

Defense has been weakened this season in my opinion. It certainly hasn't got better but has lost any attacking threat that his system relies on.

Midfield is all at sea which is unsurprising given we usually play with one central midfielder. The lack of a physical holding midfielder is costing us as I predicted preseason. Midfield quite simply isn't up for a fight.

On paper, the strikers have arguably improved. But if he is going to persist with the style and formation he likes, they are going to struggle. Again, if he wants to play the way he is, he has bought the wrong players.

My prediction is that he is out putting feelers to other clubs as we speak and will be gone in January after giving Radford another shopping list and getting short shrift. Of course this won't be his fault. He won't have had the backing, previous manager, fans without perspective, bad referees etc etc.
The Stags are for life, not just for cup finals. (or Liverpool).
Im not the real OND
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:47 am

Still annoyed about this,

I can probably understand if he loses it after a match deciding decision goes against us but he was kicking off over a throw 5 minutes in. When we went 2-0 down the game was gone in my opinion, show some professionalism Steve and be there for your players. His lack of discipline is embarrassing at times.
lifestags
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:57 am

I agree that it has maybe gone to far wth Evan's and Raynor's touchline cavorting but we knew what to expect when they both signed up.

I know that we can ill afford the manager, his assistant or both to be sat in the stand, even though it might give them a better prospective on the game?

It was obviously an awful performance ladt night, conceded three, wodwork struck 2/3 times, could have been a mauling. The comments many posters put on here preseason re Notts County are coming back to bite us.

Feel it is now time to settle on the nucleus of the side and stop changing for the sake of it.

Always said, midfield is the problem, no ball winners, opposition gven far too much space and time.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Footie mad » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 am

I think Evans has now lost the plot and his anticks on the side lines are distracting his players from doing their job. All so some of his new players he has bought in are no better than the ones he's he's dropped. At this rate he will be gone by Christmas.
Footie mad
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:24 am

For me it's clear Mellis is our best player, but he can't play in a two.

Play him as a number 10 with two holding midfielders behind him (Butcher/Digby/Atko/Byrom). How can Atko not got get a game in central midfield whenm he was described as Southend's Kante last year. Instead Evan's persists with this stupid diamond that is not a diamond because the players in the middle play as neither centre mids or wingers.

Play Macca right wing and give CJ/OSJ/Mal a chance on the left because none of the other wingers have cut it up to yet.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:27 am

If Cox or Murray had these same players would we be higher or lower in the league ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

Captain Cunno wrote:If Cox or Murray had these same players would we be higher or lower in the league ?

let me get my crystal ball out
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

I wasn't happy about his appointment, received plenty of stick on here for that opinion too at the time.....his antics were one of many reasons that I wasn't happy.

Funnily enough, the long list if other reasons are all starting to come to fruition in many other posters' minds on here too.

I stand by what I said when he was appointed, and that was I can't see him being here longer than two years. He's coming up to a year in charge soon....and despite spending a small fortune of JR's money, we've barely moved forwards on the pitch in terms of entertainment value. Even after splashing out on players in January last season, our best players were all Adam Murray signings but he'd never admit to it.

After seeing Steve Evans teams over the years, I was expecting much more, I always seem to remember them playing a lot more football on the deck certainly.

I do wonder how much he was seriously relying on getting James Hanson though when we were linked with him. Because at the moment we're playing a style that is ideal for a Hanson type player, without actually having him.
We'd actually be a better side with Matt Rhead back here, and you can only conclude that that is a backward step, especially when you look at our squad on paper and see the talent that is there.

The excuse of the team not gelling is wearing too thin as well. How long has Nolan been at County? I don't think there's a massive difference between him and Evans in terms of the length of time they've had at their clubs is there?

Nolan has had a smaller budget, and on paper you'd certainly say their squad looks weaker than ours too....would any of their players bar Jorge Grant be considered good signings for us pre-season whilst compared to the ones we have signed? I wouldn't say so.

So how come Nolan is getting a tune out of his rag tag bunch that he's cobbled together? Maybe it's because they aren't big money players who feel they are too good for the level we're at.....they actually turn up when they step over the white line and put 90 minutes worth of graft in.

On the face of things, we've only lost two in ten. My issue though is that our last four performances were showing that a beating was coming, our luck was going to run out. After that many consecutive "Meh" performances, Evans shouldn't have been alllowing the results gained to cloud the fact we have not been playing well. He should have seen we were due a trouncing very soon, and a manager of his experience and supposed expertise should have been doing everything to prevent it.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:If Cox or Murray had these same players would we be higher or lower in the league ?

Thats a great addition to the debate Bobby
Nice one.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Murray would probably play last nights back four, with a deep lying midfield four of White, Diamond, Taft (he wouldn't have loaned him out) and Benning sat in front of them. Essentially a back four in front of another.

We'd park the bus and get a lot of 0-0 draws.

Coxy would probably play the same way as Evans, only Spencer would be his go-to man alongside Rose, as Coxy would have seen straight away that Angol and Hemmings are no good for the hoof tactics.

So Coxy may have possibly done better, because he'd have given Rose more starts and he's our only forward capable of scoring goals regularly.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum