{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

ifollow

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: ifollow

Postby Melbourne Stag » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:23 am

I've bought the whole premium ifollow for the season and currently live in Singapore.

My issues with the service thus far;
• I have extremely fast internet but it takes ages to buffer (unless you move from the auto setting and then back into auto which I now find works)
• There's no commentary when watching the game. I simply expected the commentary to be over the top of the live feed game
• There's no score in the top corner; I missed the 1st goal vs Luton as it was buffering and genuinely thought we lost 2-1
• I currently have to watch it through my mobile phone which is far from ideal. I understand the issues they'd have with chromecast or a smartTV app with people live streaming and all that malarkey, but something needs to be done here.
• I actually listened to the Carlisle game instead of watching it because of the above

On the whole though, being able to watch Mansfield live is amazing even though the EFL haven't quite got it right yet. However they are charging me £110 for the liberty when it's far from where it should be, so this needs addressing.
Instagram; aaroneccleston
Melbourne Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:52 am

Son Of Sherwood wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:Have you tried using a VPN connection on holiday to connect back to the UK and fool it into thinking your using a UK IP address? Then try to log in?

Can download from Google play or Apple store, some are free.

Hope this helps.

I want to further add that I used stags player whilst in the US earlier this year and that was fantastic, even listening to the game v Donny Rovers whilst at Sea world, I haven't renewed with Ifollow and by the sounds of it the product on offer is a poor replacement which is extremely disappointing given the quality of last season.

wayno cordiniho wrote:VPN is the way forwards, I used it with a UK payment card via PayPal too. I watched the Crewe game for £5, no commentary on the video but decent quality and no buffering.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will give it a try when I get to Greece :D

Of recommend getting the VPN set up and tested before you go.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:47 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:VPN is the way forwards, I used it with a UK payment card via PayPal too. I watched the Crewe game for £5, no commentary on the video but decent quality and no buffering.

I'm out of the UK next week, just to be clear I presume you used the VPN to set the country you were staying in and used PayPal to make the purchase.

Thanks in advance.
Steve
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:50 am

Smash the piggy bank Spiro and spend it in Spoons. Its all gone Pete Tong.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 pm

In the hope this may help anyone abroad and struggling to listen to commentaries on ifollow.

Im in Maderia and using the hotel WiFi.

I tried using the app on my tablet and phone,incidentally you must be connected to a UK server using a VPN (I use ipvanish) to even be able to use the commentary link, no success on either device even though I have not had any problems at home.
I then tried using the Opera browser to access my account again using ipvanish, no success.
I then downloaded the Chrome browser and although the commentary link worked there were clicks and squeals as if the audio codec was wrong making it impossible to listen.
I was about to give up but decided to give it one more go and installed Firefox again using ipvanish I clicked the commentary link and hey presto it worked, just in time to hear the penalty being scored against Grimsby.
I had used the old app all over the world with no problems but the ifollow app is nowhere near as good in my opinion.
Steve
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:28 am

Massive probs for Imps fans on this shambles of service. Most missed 3/4 of the game yesterday according to their forum.
Me, I sat and listened to commo whilst watching the game at t'Bank on a £5 radio.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:50 am

Spiritater wrote:Massive probs for Imps fans on this shambles of service. Most missed 3/4 of the game yesterday according to their forum.
Me, I sat and listened to commo whilst watching the game at t'Bank on a £5 radio.

no problems for Stags fans listening. The only problem was people texting in to Radio Lincolnshire that I was too loud and they could hear me over their own commentator :lol:

Incidentally I think the problem with the iFollow Imps commentary was their kit at the ground. If they had used the Radio Lincolnshire feed, that would have been ok.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stewartstag » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:42 pm

As others have said a VPN with UK servers works fine, listened to both the Wycombe and Lincoln games on a tablet from Turkey using an android tablet and the android app with no real problems.

Definitely worth sorting it out before you travel thought and do a bit of research on which VPN provider is best for what you want.
stewartstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Beano » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:51 pm

It's worth mentioning that if you get unlimited data(or decent allowance) to use abroad, then a UK subscription works (for commentary) over the 3G/4G network without having to use a vpn. (Via website, not tried app)

It's worked for me in France/Spain/Portugal so far this season.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Melbourne Stag » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:51 am

Is anyone else having issues with the live IFollow steaming?

I've not been able to watch the last 3 games due to continuous buffering (it was ok earlier in the season). My internet connection is extremely fast, so it isn't that and i wondered whether it could have been the connectivity from the stadium, so expected it to work from Sincil bank, but unfortunately it didn't.

Also, how come the commentary isn't on the live stream? I've had to listen to the last 3 games as the live stream was unwatchable and on the Ifollow website it does talk about the commentary on the stream, which for some reason we don't have.

I have contacted IFollow with regards to the above twice, with no reply so far.

Would be good to hear whether others have the same issues.

On a positive note, the commentary is great!!

Cheers,
Aaron
Instagram; aaroneccleston
Melbourne Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby hibbmtfc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:09 am

Is the live streaming on desktop only?Never seen it using the app
hibbmtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foxy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:06 am

it still doesn't work with Firefox....
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:17 am

Save your money Spiro, extra pints in Spoons. This followmeleader thingy not for you
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:03 am

Aaron, I think the number of Stags fans attempting to watch the live stream from outside UK is very low, so don't expect there will be many others who can share experiences. I can't speak for how it works.

Thanks for your kind words on the commentary.

Everyone in the UK should now have the ability to listen to commentary, watch the full match back the day after, watch the highlights and interviews ... using one of laptop (at least with Google Chrome, other browsers may not work), tablet or smartphone.

As for commentary added to the live stream, NeuLion, who run the iFollow service for EFL, have tried to put the onus on the clubs to add it at source. Needless to say, I don't think any have. For us, it would entail me commentating from the TV gantry and us putting an ISDN line over there. I suggested to Mark to kick it back to them. NeuLion have the audio and video with no lag on either, so they have the ability to mix them.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby hibbmtfc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:29 am

How do you watch the live stream?Ive never seen that option nor have I seen an option to watch the full match back
hibbmtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:37 am

to watch the full match back, go to results, choose the game you want, that will take you to the match centre for that game, and you will see the option to watch the full match.

to watch the live stream, you need to be a non-UK subscriber
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby hibbmtfc » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 pm

I never knew that,thanks mate
hibbmtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 pm

EFL have today sent out the following info to clubs:

Territory Restrictions

Currently iFollow subscribers are restricted in the content they can consume depending on whether or not they are a domestic or international subscriber. In short:

• A domestic subscriber cannot listen to live audio or watch premium VOD outside of the UK. This would, for instance, stop a fan with a UK pass listening to commentary on holiday
• An international subscriber cannot listen to live audio or watch live video/premium VOD inside the UK.

We do of course understand that there have been some isolated incidents of frustration from supporters who have expected to listen to commentary on their travels. For that reason we are working on a fix with NeuLion that will separate live audio and video restrictions, allowing people to listen live whilst still upholding our strict broadcast restrictions around video. Update will follow in due course.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby spanishstag » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Mine today was pure raspberries ,all i got was buffering ,missed every goal ,might not bother after this ,dont think its my internet but it was bloody awful
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote: A domestic subscriber cannot listen to live audio or watch premium VOD outside of the UK. This would, for instance, stop a fan with a UK pass listening to commentary on holiday

If anyone is going on holiday, then ensure you have some roaming data and you're good to go. Crystal clear today on 3G from Central Portugal with no VPN required.

You can also access the premium videos (but obvs watch your data allowance)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Did anybody else have buffering problems today. I dont think i got half the commentary, which is a pretty poor service compared to last year
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:22 pm

spanishstag wrote:Mine today was pure raspberries ,all i got was buffering ,missed every goal ,might not bother after this ,dont think its my internet but it was bloody awful

I suspect you are talking about the live video stream for overseas subscribers. Please confirm.

If so, I will put in a complaint via Mark to NeuLion, because others such as Aaron from Singapore are also having a problem with the live video stream.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:26 pm

garlic wrote:Did anybody else have buffering problems today. I dont think i got half the commentary, which is a pretty poor service compared to last year

I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm fairly sure there was no issue with the broadcast.

I recorded the commentary. No buffering at all. And I haven't had any buffering at all this season, apart from when my mobile wifi has been a bit slow.

Video for overseas subscribers may well have been a different matter. I can't vouch for that.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby garlic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
garlic wrote:Did anybody else have buffering problems today. I dont think i got half the commentary, which is a pretty poor service compared to last year

I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm fairly sure there was no issue with the broadcast.

I recorded the commentary. No buffering at all. And I haven't had any buffering at all this season, apart from when my mobile wifi has been a bit slow.

Video for overseas subscribers may well have been a different matter. I can't vouch for that.

Thanks for that Martin, if it wasnt scuppered at your end it must have been mine, but the signal strength seemed ok.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Suttonian » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:59 pm

This really is an awful service. Purchased the Colchester game today from USA but no video or audio available, just get redirected to the purchase screen only to be told I've already purchased the game then back to square one. Clicked on the chat balloon to be told to clear my browser cache (already clears automatically when I close the browser, third party cookies were allowed and video too) then the chat was ended immediately by the agent.

Back on the chat balloon to be told to email ifollow@efl.com followed by 'chat session disconnected'. Pig ignorant customer service & feels like a complete waste of money.
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum