{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clownty

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clownty

Postby Spiritater » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Currently 2-0 up over Accy and top of the league.

Make that 2-1 now.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Re: Clownty

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 pm

So? I remember Carlisle being top of Division One after a couple of games. They still got relegated.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 pm

That Grant is scoring some goals
wayno cordiniho
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 pm

2-2 now :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:36 pm

2-2. Just a sniff of top spot, now it's gone.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Spiritater wrote:Currently 2-0 up over Accy and top of the league.

Make that 2-1 now.

Another late goal by Accy, who go top. Two sendings off in the game.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 am

I had a ride over to Mardy Lane last night. I arrived ten minutes before kick off so sat in the Jimmy Sirrell stand with 154 Accrington fans. No queues. This must be one of the best away stands in League 2. Had a great view on the halfway line.

I could not understand why Kevin Nolan and the County fans were complaining about the referee after the game because he gave County a very soft penalty and sent off an Accrington player (Mekhi McLeod) in the 66th minute with a straight red when it looked a yellow card at worst to me. Kevin Nolan then for some strange season which affects lots of managers decided to shut up shop against ten men. He brought on Jonathan Forte for Jon Stead and Shola Ameobi bizarrely dropped back into midfield. He was playing at centre half at one stage. This allowed Accrington to get on the front foot with their ten men and Max Tootle was sent off in the 91st minute for a second yellow for a professional foul on Kayden Jackson. He had earlier rightly been booked for time wasting when taking a throw. Accrington scored a deserved equalizer in the 95th minute when Mallik Wilks fired home with his left foot at the far post. Wilks should then have won it for Accrington but shot straight at the keeper. Watching the video, Accrington should have been awarded a penalty for a foul on Jackson who crossed the ball to Wilks. Jackson had earlier been unlucky not to be given a penalty for a shove in the back so overall the referee had been very generous to County.

My Man of the Match for Accrington was keeper Aaron Chapman who made three good saves in the 2nd half to keep Accrington in the game. Ben Richards-Everton was very strong at centre half but had to be stretchered off near the end after Ameobi pulled him to the ground and then fell on him. Billy Kee held the ball up well and Jackson is lively.

Notts County play very direct to Stead and Ameobi up front. Jorge Grant is a quality player and is good on set pieces. He took his goal very well after a good run and cross by Terry Hawkridge. The latter also had a good shot saved by Chapman.

http://www.skysports.com/football/notts ... ton/374111
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:15 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I had a ride over to Mardy Lane last night. I arrived ten minutes before kick off so sat in the Jimmy Sirrell stand with 154 Accrington fans. This must be one of the best away stands in League 2. Had a great view on the halfway line.

I could not understand why Kevin Nolan and the County fans were complaining about the referee after the game because he gave County a very soft penalty and sent off an Accrington player (Mekhi McLeod) in the 66th minute with a straight red when it looked a yellow card at worst to me. Kevin Nolan then for some strange season which affects lots of managers decided to shut up shop against ten men. He brought on Jonathan Forte for Jon Stead and Shola Ameobi bizarrely dropped back into midfield. He was playing at centre half at one stage. This allowed Accrington to get on the front foot with their ten men and Max Tootle was sent off in the 91st minute for a second yellow for a professional foul on Kayden Jackson. He had earlier rightly been booked for time wasting when taking a throw. Accrington scored a deserved equalizer in the 95th minute when Mallik Wilks fired home with his left foot at the far post. Wilks should then have won it for Accrington but shot straight at the keeper. Watching the video, Accrington should have been awarded a penalty for a foul on Jackson who crossed the ball to Wilks. Jackson had earlier been unlucky not to be given a penalty for a shove in the back so overall the referee had been very generous to County.

My Man of the Match for Accrington was keeper Aaron Chapman who made three good saves in the 2nd half to keep Accrington in the game. Ben Richards-Everton was very strong at centre half but had to be stretchered off near the end after Ameobi pulled him to the ground. Billy Kee held the ball up well and Jackson is lively.

Notts County play very direct to Stead and Ameobi up front. Jorge Grant is a quality player and is good on set pieces. He took his goal very well after a good run and cross by Terry Hawkridge. The latter also had a good shot saved by Chapman.

http://www.skysports.com/football/notts ... ton/374111

Not for a 1pm kick off in the winter with the low sun straight in your eyes, it was awful ;)
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:37 pm

That penalty decision was abysmal :lol:
Stead, a man of his size, went down like Danny Hylton!

If he gives a penalty for that, he has to award the foul on Jackson as one, I 100% see what you mean!

Pity Accy didn't nick it at the end after that.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:34 pm

"Big Al" the gift that keeps on giving.

Slated us for signing players early - then uses his "early signings" as an excuse to not do business today.

I love him :)
We think the same things at the same time
We just can't do anything about it
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Terry Eccles Was God » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:22 am

Never trust anyone who names himself "Big".

It means he has an ego the size of a planet, to compensate for the lack of something in other areas.
Don't sell Terry Eccles
Terry Eccles Was God
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:22 am

The guy is more cringeworthy than David Brent.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby jeff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:39 am

It seems he's more interested in putting money into ilson at the minute.
jeff
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:33 am

Terry Eccles Was God wrote:Never trust anyone who names himself "Big".

It means he has an ego the size of a planet, to compensate for the lack of something in other areas.

There are plenty of 'Bigs' on here posting, don't you trust them either, after all they're Stags fans?

;)

No, thought not :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 am

Spiritater wrote:

There are plenty of 'Bigs' on here posting, don't you trust them either, after all they're Stags fans?

;)

Can you imagine what a combination of their Big Peanut-head and our Humpty Dumpty would make?
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:55 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

;)

Can you imagine what a combination of their Big Peanut-head and our Humpty Dumpty would make?

Peanut big dumpty humpty head?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 am

I've a Stags supporting friend, who attends occasionally, she's very articulate, well educated, fair-minded, nicely-spoken, could probably be labelled as 'prim and proper' and works as a teacher. She comes in to regular contact with Mr Hardy; says he's an "absolute nob."

That's good enough for me.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:45 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I've a Stags supporting friend, who attends occasionally, she's very articulate, well educated, fair-minded, nicely-spoken, could probably be labelled as 'prim and proper' and works as a teacher. She comes in to regular contact with Mr Hardy; says he's an "absolute nob."

Like it.
daddycool
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:59 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I've a Stags supporting friend, who attends occasionally, she's very articulate, well educated, fair-minded, nicely-spoken, could probably be labelled as 'prim and proper' and works as a teacher. She comes in to regular contact with Mr Hardy; says he's an "absolute nob."

His wife ?
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 am

SINA STAG wrote:

His wife ?

I've used his firm and I can attest that he is good at what he does. He certainly IS a nob though!
Edders: Happy-clappin’ glory-huntin’ since 1967
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:22 pm

They seem to be doing ok without a massive influx of new and expensive players. Careful management and a consistency in player selection can be the key to success. I'm hoping that once our side settles down that the better players (at least better players on paper we have), will deliver our own success.
Old timer
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Old timer wrote:They seem to be doing ok without a massive influx of new and expensive players. Careful management and a consistency in player selection can be the key to success. I'm hoping that once our side settles down that the better players (at least better players on paper we have), will deliver our own success.

Clownty often start well before fading into mediocrity. Bottom half by Christmas then sinking further when the manager changes again.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:44 pm

They've a decent man in charge. The transformation since Nolan took charge is quite marked.
The players are responding to him.

If Clownty are top half/in or around the playoffs come Jan then his acheivement will overshadow anything Evo does if Evo doesnt acheive an automatic spot considering the budgets afforded to each.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 pm

Spiritater wrote:If Clownty are top half/in or around the playoffs come Jan then his acheivement will overshadow anything Evo does if Evo doesnt acheive an automatic spot considering the budgets afforded to each.

What a load of anti stags/evans rubbish.

He is doing well there, but money isn't everything. Just look at least time we got out of L2, or ask Leicester.

If Evans gets us top 7 but we miss out on the top 3 then it will still be a good achievement. There are a number of very good teams at this level and 24 sides all still thinking they can do top 3/7...

I bet Counties budget (pre JR top ups) is a good chunk bigger than ours.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum