{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ? (Be Wembley Winners?)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby abc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:59 am

yorkshire stag wrote:we will never make top three in a month of sunday’s , we are not good enough
smell the coffee the table dosent lie, i cannot wait for another week of Gimp glory fans thinking they have won the title in Oct, thing is i’m pretty sure they will, i look at their squad and it’s not a patch on ours so why the hell can the Mardy_arse twins be running away with it ?

Because they are winners and are positive with their tactics/ play to their strengths.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:03 am

abc wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:we will never make top three in a month of sunday’s , we are not good enough
smell the coffee the table dosent lie, i cannot wait for another week of Gimp glory fans thinking they have won the title in Oct, thing is i’m pretty sure they will, i look at their squad and it’s not a patch on ours so why the hell can the Mardy_arse twins be running away with it ?

Because they are winners and are positive with their tactics/ play to their strengths.

getting reallly wazzed off having to face their smarminess every monday morning, my hope was the mardy-arse twins would bog off to Brentford and therfore the bubble would burst
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:29 am

abc wrote:

Blimey, that BS is so fresh it's not even hit the ground yet! :P

That's pure supposition, the very thing you were moaning about the other week.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:34 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
abc wrote:

Blimey, that BS is so fresh it's not even hit the ground yet! :P

That's pure supposition, the very thing you were moaning about the other week.

Not supposition at all you muppet, look at what they've already achieved at Lincoln.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 am

Of course it is - did you stop and consider for a split seconds the reasons why? Nah, I didn't think so ;)

I'll give you a clue:
A style of football our fans hate and would moan about,
Huge playing budget with less purchasing restrictions,
Several seasons to get their system working

Feel free to flatten those facts like a runaway steamroller :D must be lovely living in your binary world ;)
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:46 am

As much as I dislike the gimps they are miles ahead of us . They play to their strengths, have recruited well and. Seem to have goalscoorers all,over the pitch . Probably haven't spent any more than us either . If Mardy arse Cowley stays all season they will be a League 1 side .
As for us from a level start we don't have the quality or goal scorers of the Gimps, Exeter or MK Dons so I would expect them all to be top 3 and we have some major catching up to do . Flitcroft will do just enough to get another stab at it next year with around a 9th 10th place finish IMO .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:29 am

We are an average side imo & will do well to finish 10th .
As for the Gimps I have always detested them & hope their wheels start to fall off sooner rather than later !
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:09 am

victor A block wrote:As much as I dislike the gimps they are miles ahead of us . They play to their strengths, have recruited well and. Seem to have goalscoorers all,over the pitch . Probably haven't spent any more than us either . If Mardy arse Cowley stays all season they will be a League 1 side .
As for us from a level start we don't have the quality or goal scorers of the Gimps, Exeter or MK Dons so I would expect them all to be top 3 and we have some major catching up to do . Flitcroft will do just enough to get another stab at it next year with around a 9th 10th place finish IMO .

That’s the annoying bit for me. One year to get their act together in League 2 in which they make the playoffs, and now they’re storming it. Still early days but for them to have practically double the amount of points as us after a quarter of the season is poor considering we were also one of the favourites for promotion (fully aware of the games in hand). They’ve already racked up 10 wins to our 3. At our current win rate we won’t have 10 wins until February so top 3 talk is madness at the minute.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:52 am

BH_Stag wrote:
victor A block wrote:As much as I dislike the gimps they are miles ahead of us . They play to their strengths, have recruited well and. Seem to have goalscoorers all,over the pitch . Probably haven't spent any more than us either . If Mardy arse Cowley stays all season they will be a League 1 side .

That’s the annoying bit for me. One year to get their act together in League 2 in which they make the playoffs, and now they’re storming it. Still early days but for them to have practically double the amount of points as us after a quarter of the season is poor considering we were also one of the favourites for promotion (fully aware of the games in hand). They’ve already racked up 10 wins to our 3. At our current win rate we won’t have 10 wins until February so top 3 talk is madness at the minute.

How long have they been at the club? It's not difficult to understand that changing a manager every 6 months is not a recipe for success. You and a few others on here shout sack, sack, sack after every drawn game when actually what we need is a period of stability, a manager given time and resources and lets see where it takes us. Sack DF now, as you advocate, then we start all over again. I'll remind you once again, we were 16th in October last season under Evans, he'd had an extra transfer window and was not hampered by highly paid crocks.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 am

I can't even begin to comprehend a promotion challenge untill we win a couple on the bounce.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:08 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

With the greatest respect BH, Lincoln's current situation is significantly different not to make worthwhile comparisons, imo. Money, management consistency, less rebuilding are in their favour.

That said, I expect top 7 and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen, unless there are mitigating circumstances
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:18 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Of course it is - did you stop and consider for a split seconds the reasons why? Nah, I didn't think so ;)

I'll give you a clue:

Feel free to flatten those facts like a runaway steamroller :D must be lovely living in your binary world ;)

Gladly;

1. I don't think watching a winning team would ever get boring even if they are direct, scoring 6 times away from home certainly isn't going to be insipid!
2. How do you know they have such a huge playing budget ?? Is it even that much bigger than ours ?
3. Several seasons to get their system working ?? Cowley won promotion in his first season FGS.
Perhaps you should do some considering yourself sunshine ???
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:31 pm

Number 2 - they had a great FA cup run, won the checkatrade last year and nearly every home game is a sell out. They signed akinde and shackell who I imagine will be on big wages. They also signed frecklington last year too, I'm sure they've got quite a bit of money.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:48 pm

abc wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Of course it is - did you stop and consider for a split seconds the reasons why? Nah, I didn't think so ;)

I'll give you a clue:

Gladly;

1. I don't think watching a winning team would ever get boring even if they are direct, scoring 6 times away from home certainly isn't going to be insipid!
2. How do you know they have such a huge playing budget ?? Is it even that much bigger than ours ?
3. Several seasons to get their system working ?? Cowley won promotion in his first season FGS.

ABC this actually happened and we still barely got 3000 home fans after beating Chesterfield away and being third in the league.

Lincolns playing budget includes the likes of Akinde, Bostwick, Eardley, Green, Toffolo. Not exactly cheap players. They’ve had he same manager for longer than 6 months playing the same system for longer than 6 months.

Proofs in the stats regarding what football style the stags Fans prefers hence the 4000 plus attendances while occupying a bottom half position. Instead of the 3000 we got under cox when we first got back in the league and being in the top three. Our non league title winning season we only averaged 2500 home fans.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:32 pm

abc wrote:

I'll give you a clue:

Gladly;

Fair do's bud, glad you decided to reply :D

Tbf, scoring 6 times is a rarity for any team including them, so it's not a common trait to rely upon. It was no secret our fans openly hated Cox's style and stated they wanted something better to watch. As I recall, many said it was paramount to their enjoyment

As mentioned, they can't sign Akinde, Bostwick, Frecklington & others without a sizeable budget. Given approx 1/5 of our team were high earners and either not wanted/still injured then I'd think it makes a noteable difference to who/how many we could sign and hence what we can achieve. They've not had in house conflict with a star striker either

Their style I'd argue is simpler to implement, rather than our reinvent the wheel change of philosophy, so yes I'd argue its easier for them to get success.

How much of a difference it all makes is debatable, but imo all of those factors would influence success. What is sure, is changing managers after a few months invariably starts a rapid decline, and how easier would it be for a replacement to overcome these problems?

I don't see a change doing any favours atm, but I'd agree long term DF isn't the answer if he can't start to make his brand of football count
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Supporting a football team is ALL ABOUT WINNING and the DF fans on here are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. Pass, pass, pass with no end result will actually see crowds falling as it's incredibly frustrating to see your team dominate a game but not win. The slightly larger crowds we are enjoying at the moment are down to the Quarry Lane offers, and they sure as heck won't keep showing when the winter bites and we still can't manage to win two on the trot.
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:54 pm

FarnieStag wrote:Supporting a football team is ALL ABOUT WINNING and the DF fans on here are kidding themselves if they think otherwise. Pass, pass, pass with no end result will actually see crowds falling as it's incredibly frustrating to see your team dominate a game but not win. The slightly larger crowds we are enjoying at the moment are down to the Quarry Lane offers, and they sure as heck won't keep showing when the winter bites and we still can't manage to win two on the trot.

Supporting a football club is all about putting up with the thick and thin. Fickle, so-called fans will of course happily swarm around a “winning” team.

REAL fans wouldn’t dream of being so ........
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:19 am

Will be a struggle and although we have 2 games in hand no guarantee of 6 so I think we would need to go on a very good run to get anywhere near the top 3 and Lincoln look unstoppable and should win it at a canter.

We might have to change managers shortly if the draws continue as otherwise it will be too late to catch up and not sure JR wants another season in league 2...or maybe he will stick with him for the long term.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:57 am

One thing re the attendances we must remember Lincoln is a CITY...not a town..
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:38 am

tillydog123 wrote:One thing re the attendances we must remember Lincoln is a CITY...not a town..

also bigger catchment area fewer clubs nearby except for scunny codheads P boro
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:40 am

The QLE membership and family block is having a huge positive affect on the attendances - hope they keep both going.

I know aspects of the QLE membership is unfair but I’ll take that considering the boost to our attendances.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby x-type » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am

tillydog123 wrote:One thing re the attendances we must remember Lincoln is a CITY...not a town..

If you check it out from the latest census the populations of both are roughly on par between 130,000 for Lincoln & 145,000 for Mansfield (if Sutton is in included). Lincoln is regarded as a city because of the cathedral and having university status. Believe it or not Mansfield is regarded as a “small city” according to the notation I’ve just read. On a lighter note Mansfield City F.C. somehow doesn’t sound quite right.
The main point to remember when doing a comparison is as already stated Lincoln have an advantage over us by not having other clubs to compete with for attendances.
x-type
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 am

x-type wrote:

If you check it out from the latest census the populations of both are roughly on par between 130,000 for Lincoln & 145,000 for Mansfield (if Sutton is in included). Lincoln is regarded as a city because of the cathedral and having university status. Believe it or not Mansfield is regarded as a “small city” according to the notation I’ve just read. On a lighter note Mansfield City F.C. somehow doesn’t sound quite right.
The main point to remember when doing a comparison is as already stated Lincoln have an advantage over us by not having other clubs to compete with for attendances.

Yeah but will we finish in the top 3?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby x-type » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:24 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
x-type wrote:

Yeah but will we finish in the top 3?

I personally will be pleased if we do, certainly think we can make the playoffs but as most seasons will probably end up disappointed again
x-type
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:32 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Will be a struggle and although we have 2 games in hand no guarantee of 6 so I think we would need to go on a very good run to get anywhere near the top 3 and Lincoln look unstoppable and should win it at a canter.

We might have to change managers shortly if the draws continue as otherwise it will be too late to catch up and not sure JR wants another season in league 2...or maybe he will stick with him for the long term.

Talk about hedging your bets, Tilly! ;)

After the investment and time spent last season i'd be seriously surprised if DF went before Xmas, unless we're sinking quicker than a lead-filled Titanic.

Based on the current squad i don't think we're top 3, nor would we be on paper considering teams like Lincoln, MK, County have spent. Zander's wages will have freed up some dosh come January, so it'll all depend on who we can loan in that window as to where we finish. At the moment i'd say/hope top 7
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum