{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thanks, Dave

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby daddycool » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 am

In this league you need a big chunk upfront who can hold the ball up and bring players in to play ,not just the Danny flick ons which rarely work.
The ball just keeps coming back without that, Lincoln are a prime example with Akinde Rhead and green etc to choose from all can hold the ball up .
Guess what they are top of the league and will almost certainly win the league . IMO
daddycool
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:25 am

Bradders wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Graham should have been the sub (if there had to be one), he’s a natural striker and would have stayed higher up the pitch.

Graham came on against Cambridge in the 84th minute. Four minutes later he gave the ball away and Cambridge got their equaliser. Possibly Flitcroft realised that he's a bit inexperienced for the holding role.


Personally I don’t think we should have made any change. What did we stand to benefit from taking our main striker off with just 5-10 minutes left? He may have been tired but the defenders have played 90 minutes too. It just allowed them to move forward as a team and I’m sure he could have carried on for that small amount of time - we had 2 golden chances for a third goal just minutes before the changes, why change the pattern of play?
BH_Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 am

Personally I think we are desperately one short up front, I know many argued against this one being Rob, but it’s undeniable now.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:39 am

Conker wrote:Personally I think we are desperately one short up front, I know many argued against this one being Rob, but it’s undeniable now.


Pretty much everyone has said that. Rob, Amber and a few others can't see the obvious with their heads so far up Floppers bum.

Even before the season started it was obvious only 3 main strikers (one of whom at the time wasn't happy) wasn't enough.

That said, if the ones we had could finish simple chances, even just occasionally, then we'd be much better off.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby old ram stag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 am

or finish the match, they get taken off with 20 to go if we are winning, and we all know how successful that tactic is.
old ram stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 am

Jeez you must be the only one watching intently :roll: .
There was absolutely no intention of playing Butcher up front.
Bury, Swindon and now us commenting on his negative try to hold on tactics, we can't all be"facing the opposite way"[/quote]

Would love to have access to a heat map. Because we don’t I can’t disprove stupid statements like this.

Of course he had to run around and track because we didn’t have the bloody ball. Should we just stand three players on the edge of their box just to make sure it’s clear to you that they’re strikers?[/quote]

It's about opinions but that's twice you've resorted to being a condescending dick without answering the 3 sets of fans of the same opinion!!!

You've now changed it to 3 strikers who was the 3rd striker that wasn't actually a striker cos they've never been known as a striker. Square pegs, round holes, ball don't stick, points thrown again.

I don't need a heat map to work that out[/quote]

The three strikers was just an example. Were you lambasting the square pegs in round holes when we were winning 2-1 with CJ up front and Atko at wing back?

Not having a recognised striker on the pitch had nothing to with Krystian Pearce’s terrible defending for the equaliser, something I’ve seen nobody mention. But that’s ok because he’s a round peg in a round hole.[/quote]

Pearce was hung out to dry by the other 7 players Mayor had just casually run by, shall I stop him or let him go all the way.
We didn't win yesterday did we so, another point down on his shocking win ratio. Look at the bigger picture and take on board what Swindon and Bury fans told us, hes still making the same mistakes.

After a night's sleep we'll agree to disagree and I won't reply again so you can have the last word after you've studied the heat map, i'll study his results and win ratio
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:12 am

Gosh this is so frustrating. DF certainly devides opinion.

I can see that we are not too far off from being a promotion contender but I also take into account the views of those that go to away games. They obviously see the negative end game tatics.

There is clearly a problem, it has happened too many times. Once or twice in a season you expect but the number of times it has happened is a big concern.
Is it the players ( on this occasion the late goal conceded was very poor marking ), but I also question DF tatics of taking a striker off.

We are definitely a good striker short, Davies being injured dosen't help. I think it is a budget issue but that's another debate.

I hope it can be sorted by DF because I think he's as good as we can get. However, it's a problem he must resolve quickly as the Radfords seem to be having doubts.

JR must be thinking should I stick or twist.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4586
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 am

Didn't take much for you to change ya tune Andy... 2 draws. You've gone from defending everything he does to this. Wow.

I think it's unjustified to blame budget. He gets what he gets. It's based on attendances and may well be inflated by JR. Either way you got what you got. Being a striker short if DFs mistake, not a budget problem.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 am

Amber Andy wrote:Gosh this is so frustrating. DF certainly devides opinion.

I can see that we are not too far off from being a promotion contender but I also take into account the views of those that go to away games. They obviously see the negative end game tatics.

There is clearly a problem, it has happened too many times. Once or twice in a season you expect but the number of times it has happened is a big concern.
Is it the players ( on this occasion the late goal conceded was very poor marking ), but I also question DF tatics of taking a striker off.

We are definitely a good striker short, Davies being injured dosen't help. I think it is a budget issue but that's another debate.

I hope it can be sorted by DF because I think he's as good as we can get. However, it's a problem he must resolve quickly as the Radfords seem to be having doubts.

JR must be thinking should I stick or twist.

If you think we have a budget issue then you’ll never be happy. We have probably our biggest budget ever. DF had a chance to sign strikers in the summer and chose Davies and Walker.
stagsfan6493
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby The One » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:03 am

Two points in front of County !!!!
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9727
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby 4dstag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:06 am

The One wrote:Two points in front of County !!!!

4 points
4dstag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby The One » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:07 am

4dstag wrote:
The One wrote:Two points in front of County !!!!

4 points


Ok sorry that makes it better
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9727
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:10 am

The One wrote:
4dstag wrote:
The One wrote:Two points in front of County !!!!

4 points


Ok sorry that makes it better


Don’t forget we have a game in hand as well that everyone keeps going on about :lol:
User avatar
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:47 am
Location: Forest Town

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby The One » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:18 am

Foresttownstag wrote:
The One wrote:
4dstag wrote:
The One wrote:Two points in front of County !!!!

4 points


Ok sorry that makes it better


Don’t forget we have a game in hand as well that everyone keeps going on about :lol:


Yes make that one more point :D
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9727
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am

Jamie wrote:Didn't take much for you to change ya tune Andy... 2 draws. You've gone from defending everything he does to this. Wow.

I think it's unjustified to blame budget. He gets what he gets. It's based on attendances and may well be inflated by JR. Either way you got what you got. Being a striker short if DFs mistake, not a budget problem.

I'm must admit I'm scratching my head a bit.

This problem of conceding late goals is clearly holding us back.

I think the budget has prevented us from investing in another decent striker. That's why Angol went.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4586
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:26 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Gosh this is so frustrating. DF certainly devides opinion.

I can see that we are not too far off from being a promotion contender but I also take into account the views of those that go to away games. They obviously see the negative end game tatics.

There is clearly a problem, it has happened too many times. Once or twice in a season you expect but the number of times it has happened is a big concern.
Is it the players ( on this occasion the late goal conceded was very poor marking ), but I also question DF tatics of taking a striker off.

We are definitely a good striker short, Davies being injured dosen't help. I think it is a budget issue but that's another debate.

I hope it can be sorted by DF because I think he's as good as we can get. However, it's a problem he must resolve quickly as the Radfords seem to be having doubts.

JR must be thinking should I stick or twist.

If you think we have a budget issue then you’ll never be happy. We have probably our biggest budget ever. DF had a chance to sign strikers in the summer and chose Davies and Walker.

Do you happen to know what our budget is ?

The budget meant we couldn't keep Angol.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4586
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:28 am

everyone keeps harping on about being short up front, but we had to sell either angol or rose to balance the books from fattys reign did we not?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby adamstag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:37 am

Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Gosh this is so frustrating. DF certainly devides opinion.

I can see that we are not too far off from being a promotion contender but I also take into account the views of those that go to away games. They obviously see the negative end game tatics.

There is clearly a problem, it has happened too many times. Once or twice in a season you expect but the number of times it has happened is a big concern.
Is it the players ( on this occasion the late goal conceded was very poor marking ), but I also question DF tatics of taking a striker off.

We are definitely a good striker short, Davies being injured dosen't help. I think it is a budget issue but that's another debate.

I hope it can be sorted by DF because I think he's as good as we can get. However, it's a problem he must resolve quickly as the Radfords seem to be having doubts.

JR must be thinking should I stick or twist.

If you think we have a budget issue then you’ll never be happy. We have probably our biggest budget ever. DF had a chance to sign strikers in the summer and chose Davies and Walker.

Do you happen to know what our budget is ?

The budget meant we couldn't keep Angol.


Tbh the late goals scenario isn’t a surprise at all. Everyone in our end was expecting it, we’ve seen it all before with the dull ineffective defensive tactics. 1) take off the forward removing any avenue of escape 2) bring everyone back from set pieces compounding issue 1 and then allowing the ball to be put straight back in and 3) entering the final phase put everyone in the penalty are and hope for the best.

It’s his tactic and his decision. And ultimately he got it wrong AGAIN.
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5973
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:51 am

It’s an odd one for me, I was feeling more frustrated after the game against Cambridge than this one. I would have happily taken a draw vs Bury before the game but disappointed to throw away the win in the 95th minute.

Oldham was the most disappointing of the past week for me given we couldn’t turn a performance into 3 points. I think it’s too early this season to get rid of DF but feels like it’s getting ever closer. Many have described the parallels with Murray’s team and tactics before he went and I am also seeing this, the difference probably being that I think DF has a slightly better (more expensive squad). That said it’s salvagable if he can learn quickly.

To me it’s not quite as simple as being 1 decent striker off as we’ve thrown enough points away at the end of matches which I think is down to negativity and inviting pressure on. Team will go a bit more hung ho if chasing 1 goal but we’ve only really picked Northampton off for doing it and more often we’ve given in to the pressure.

I’m really not sure on the point being made on Angol, I didn’t think he was good enough so would of taken the money. It was last minute and Looking like Graham could do a similar job from the youth team so I’m not sure the sale was about budget, I guess we’ll see in January?
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Gosh this is so frustrating. DF certainly devides opinion.

I can see that we are not too far off from being a promotion contender but I also take into account the views of those that go to away games. They obviously see the negative end game tatics.

There is clearly a problem, it has happened too many times. Once or twice in a season you expect but the number of times it has happened is a big concern.
Is it the players ( on this occasion the late goal conceded was very poor marking ), but I also question DF tatics of taking a striker off.

We are definitely a good striker short, Davies being injured dosen't help. I think it is a budget issue but that's another debate.

I hope it can be sorted by DF because I think he's as good as we can get. However, it's a problem he must resolve quickly as the Radfords seem to be having doubts.

JR must be thinking should I stick or twist.

If you think we have a budget issue then you’ll never be happy. We have probably our biggest budget ever. DF had a chance to sign strikers in the summer and chose Davies and Walker.

Do you happen to know what our budget is ?

The budget meant we couldn't keep Angol.


He can (and should) come back and ask how do you know Angol had to leave due to 'budget reasons'

I'll use a tad of common sense, but we would have not sanctioned two transfer fees and pay some or all of a championship player wages if Budget were going to be a problem.

I think it's a case of JR likely had the chance to recoup most of the money he paid for Angol and that was to good to turn down.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:14 pm

The question is how long can we carry on like this before we make Promotion too difficult?

Grimsby H, Swindon A, Morecombe A. That needs to be seven points but I find it a bit silly to think that’s a realistic target at the moment.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:35 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Gosh this is so frustrating. DF certainly devides opinion.

I can see that we are not too far off from being a promotion contender but I also take into account the views of those that go to away games. They obviously see the negative end game tatics.

There is clearly a problem, it has happened too many times. Once or twice in a season you expect but the number of times it has happened is a big concern.
Is it the players ( on this occasion the late goal conceded was very poor marking ), but I also question DF tatics of taking a striker off.

We are definitely a good striker short, Davies being injured dosen't help. I think it is a budget issue but that's another debate.

I hope it can be sorted by DF because I think he's as good as we can get. However, it's a problem he must resolve quickly as the Radfords seem to be having doubts.

JR must be thinking should I stick or twist.

If you think we have a budget issue then you’ll never be happy. We have probably our biggest budget ever. DF had a chance to sign strikers in the summer and chose Davies and Walker.

Do you happen to know what our budget is ?

The budget meant we couldn't keep Angol.


He can (and should) come back and ask how do you know Angol had to leave due to 'budget reasons'

I'll use a tad of common sense, but we would have not sanctioned two transfer fees and pay some or all of a championship player wages if Budget were going to be a problem.

I think it's a case of JR likely had the chance to recoup most of the money he paid for Angol and that was to good to turn down.

OK if you say the budget wasn't the reason for us having to sell Angol or Rose, why hasn't Angol been replaced.

Evans saddled us with expensive players on two year contracts. JR eluded to that at his meeting.

Perhaps you can tell me what the budget is, as I've not had a reply to my original question.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4586
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Conker » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Gosh this is so frustrating. DF certainly devides opinion.

I can see that we are not too far off from being a promotion contender but I also take into account the views of those that go to away games. They obviously see the negative end game tatics.

There is clearly a problem, it has happened too many times. Once or twice in a season you expect but the number of times it has happened is a big concern.
Is it the players ( on this occasion the late goal conceded was very poor marking ), but I also question DF tatics of taking a striker off.

We are definitely a good striker short, Davies being injured dosen't help. I think it is a budget issue but that's another debate.

I hope it can be sorted by DF because I think he's as good as we can get. However, it's a problem he must resolve quickly as the Radfords seem to be having doubts.

JR must be thinking should I stick or twist.

If you think we have a budget issue then you’ll never be happy. We have probably our biggest budget ever. DF had a chance to sign strikers in the summer and chose Davies and Walker.

Do you happen to know what our budget is ?

The budget meant we couldn't keep Angol.


He can (and should) come back and ask how do you know Angol had to leave due to 'budget reasons'

I'll use a tad of common sense, but we would have not sanctioned two transfer fees and pay some or all of a championship player wages if Budget were going to be a problem.

I think it's a case of JR likely had the chance to recoup most of the money he paid for Angol and that was to good to turn down.

OK if you say the budget wasn't the reason for us having to sell Angol or Rose, why hasn't Angol been replaced.

Evans saddled us with expensive players on two year contracts. JR eluded to that at his meeting.

Perhaps you can tell me what the budget is, as I've not had a reply to my original question.


Minimum the £2.5m quoted by JR last season, likely gone up now.

That's my guess :coys:
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:39 pm

if we'd have managed to shift the crocks in diamond and Mirfin, and got rid of Anderson I don't think we would've needed to sell angol. but we couldn't shift them, so the target switched to either rose or angol to balance the books.

I think we would have a much better team if we could've got rid of diamond, mirfin and Anderson and replaced them with players who aren't injured for over half a season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4082
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Thanks, Dave

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Random Hero wrote:His win percentage is now at 13% and Belly is still defending him :lol:


He defends the McCann's so I wouldn't take much notice of him :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6399
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobbystagsfan and 17 guests