{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Poor Johnny Radford

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Poor Johnny Radford

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm a realist.
I've been watching since 1983.
I know that beyond a couple of seasons up and a couple of seasons down we're a League 2 team. Always have been, always will be, a hundred years of history is proof of that.
Pick your favourite player, your favourite manager even and still we have a history in league 2. In fact, pick the worst manager, the worst player, the worst chairman even and we're still a league 2 club.

My point is this, John Radford is the man who saved the club, he's the man who's secured the future, he's the man who will give us a club, ground, and facilities to be proud of... but we'll always be a league 2 club.

I have nothing against DF and I thought SE was an idiot. They still both failed to get us promoted with all that money. You could employ a manager on half the wages, sign players for half the money, pick five kids in the team and we'll still spend 90% of our time in League 2.

I'm glad JR spends his money on us, I'm glad he's proud to call the club his own and I'm very very very grateful he's ours but... I just want to give him a big hug and tell him that it's OK, we're proud of him no matter what, and maybe, just maybe, it's time he spent half as much money because he'd get the same result.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Poor Johnny Radford

Postby bigalstag » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:29 pm

What's the point of existing if you have no ambition? And where does this "we've always been a league 2 side" mentality come from. I've been watching longer than you and once upon a time we were much better than that, with the teams to go with it!
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:39 pm

I'm guessing that our average league position would back me up. Have we ever had a sustained spell not in League 2?
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Random Hero » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:23 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:I'm guessing that our average league position would back me up. Have we ever had a sustained spell not in League 2?

Have we ever been backed financially like we currently are being?
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby oldnic » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:26 pm

We have always been a yo yo club but with many years in between. When i saw that we led by a single goal, it had 1-1 written all over it. After going for 55 years, you can sense the season we are going to have. Been told by someone who goes most weeks that we have a side that could and should go up. But we all know it will end in dissapointment. To answer the question, we have had several good seasons probably not this one.
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby spanishstag » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Idiots night out
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Radford is proven to be a not very good chairman when it comes to appointing managers, everything else he is a godsend.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:19 pm

There is some truth in the post from julianshatnasty but agree JR has brought hope and u do need ambition
Rochdale were like Stags for many years and it was a very boring fixture playing them but they do well now in league 1
Sorry for him and CR they found the right manager but he was disloyal
He now has the wrong manager so hopefully he will get the right one soon
Ferguson could bring hope
Flipfailure and flopit have maybe 5 to 6 games left to save themselves or it must be good night vienna
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Empty FC » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm

I have been going since the late 60s.
And I remember teams like Bradford City, Hull City, Swansea, Reading, Millwall.
Bournemouth, Brighton, Portsmouth etc.etc etc.
These are all teams that we played on a regular basis.
Some of the teams mentioned were team that I would have regarded as smaller clubs than us at one time.
But at some point over the last 50 odd years they went for it and hit the heady nights of the top division.
Well why not us.?
That's why I keep going, because you have to believe that we are at the start of something good. (oh yea)
Maybe not the prem (but who knows eh?)
This is our lot, if we didn't think or hope it might happen then we would all pack it in. (as a lot already have)
Up the Stags.. COYS. :mtfc:
Empty FC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:10 pm

When I started supporting the Stags, we were a Division 4 club which is obviously now League 2.

But in those old division 4 games, I've seen us play Fulham, Cardiff, Swansea Brighton and Bournemouth.
Then there's a good few current Championship sides that have played at our level.

Burton and Yeovil in the not so distant past made it into the Championship.

It can clearly be done.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 am

spanishstag wrote:Idiots night out

Not the real supporters in THIS country who actually GO to the games and Spend POUND Notes and coins supporting the Mansfield community eh
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby spanishstag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:44 am

Ive seen every game in full this season home and away on i follow ,the club benefits from the money i pay i follow ,as for your comment about locals who pay there money into a local community thats a load of garbage no jobs meant people moved on ,not by choice but necessity
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:01 am

Everyone obviously feels sorry for radford, but at the same time he’s not been given his managers from a tombola and had the foisted on him, he chose them and has to hope it pays off.

I’d be interested to see what their thought process was when signing up flitcroft whole not interviewing anyone else, maybe only they’ll know
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:06 am

adamstag wrote:Everyone obviously feels sorry for radford, but at the same time he’s not been given his managers from a tombola and had the foisted on him, he chose them and has to hope it pays off.

I’d be interested to see what their thought process was when signing up flitcroft whole not interviewing anyone else, maybe only they’ll know

They interviewed Grant McCann and Dean Saunders.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 am

abc wrote:
adamstag wrote:Everyone obviously feels sorry for radford, but at the same time he’s not been given his managers from a tombola and had the foisted on him, he chose them and has to hope it pays off.

I'm not surprised he came out on top against Saunders
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:12 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
abc wrote:

True. Could he of done any worse though ?
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:18 am

abc wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
abc wrote:

True. Could he of done any worse though ?

I think you only have to look at the Spireites to answer that one! :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:19 am

Yes, yes he could.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby abc » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:24 am

Rigsby wrote:Yes, yes he could.

Actually Saunders won 9 out 24 at Chesterfield 37.5 % considerably better than Flipflop which shows how poor he has done .
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:43 am

First, I don't go to away games anymore so I didn't witness the Cambridge game.

From what I read we had chances, again, that went begging. Rose was back and he was as guilty of misses as anyone else.

1-0 up nearing the end of a game we persist with the tactic of filtering back and inviting the oppisition to attack us which they do. We all know what happens when MTFC do that, we concede, it happened under Evans now regularly under Flitcroft.

The question is, why do we persist in doing it when attack is our strong point?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:59 am

Agree with oldweststander I see plenty of potential but we also see the same failings. Will we learn and improve before it’s too late for flitcroft?
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 am

Conker wrote:Radford is proven to be a not very good chairman when it comes to appointing managers, everything else he is a godsend.

He was spot on when he appointed Cox.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:04 am

abc wrote:

Actually Saunders won 9 out 24 at Chesterfield 37.5 % considerably better than Flipflop which shows how poor he has done .

Their fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Then look what has happened since.

Is there a lesson to be learned abc ? Continuity maybe.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:27 am

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Their fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. Then look what has happened since.

Is there a lesson to be learned abc ? Continuity maybe.

Continuity has to be merited and for good reason not a record of 4 in 20.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:Radford is proven to be a not very good chairman when it comes to appointing managers, everything else he is a godsend.

He was spot on when he appointed Cox.

Exactly my point, the only one.

Cox did the job in the conference but most who come up tend to do well with the same manager unfortunately he was not good enough in the league.

Murray, Evans, Duncan who he had to be persuaded not to keep and he although he didn’t appoint Holdsworth he gave him way to much money and time.

It’s not easy though and I understand why he wants to back whoever his manager is.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum