{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

W4 D10 L5

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: W4 D10 L5

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Jamie wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:The issue we have is its still not fully "his side" we still have 3 players on top dollar who we don't need. Anderson is one and he's been left with 2 expensive crocks. We are probably chucking £100k a year down the drain for those.

I'm disappointed with the results so far. However it's far too early to be comparing anything at present.

The expensive crocks don't cost much as we get insurance to cover them, don't we? Anderson is a strange one, why DF didn't move him out and recover some of the money god only knows.

I won't agree this isn't his side though. It's his team, full of players he's either chosen to keep or signed himself. Yes there are a couple of left overs but lets not pretend JR hasn't backed him or that they've caused him any kind of transfer headache. Many managers these days, even some down the leagues, don't even get a say in the players the club signs. The manager is paid to coach the team, get the best out of them and to get results with the players available. In this case, he's been able to keep / sign whoever he wants or can. There are no excuses where team / squad size is concerned.

I actually think on paper this squad is as good as we've had a for long time. Its clearly a striker short (which is down to DF), but all in all the additions have been pretty good. There are no excuses. He's got to deliver results for this football club, he hasn't so far both with Evans team and now with his own. The next 3/4 games will tell us everything we need to know.

I'd imagine he tried, but no-one will come in for Anderson and pay him the level of salary that he is on, and why would he move somewhere to be paid less than he's contracted to receive with us? God would probably say.

There is a pretty simple solution, we loan him out... If he's on 4k per week, we loan him out with a clause that he can't play against us. If we can recover any money to put towards a player we want surely that is good business? Do you really think there isn't a single L2 or Conference side that wouldn't want him for £1k / £1.5k per week? He wouldn't be paid less, but it would free up some wages to get another player. Simple really.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Jamie wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:The issue we have is its still not fully "his side" we still have 3 players on top dollar who we don't need. Anderson is one and he's been left with 2 expensive crocks. We are probably chucking £100k a year down the drain for those.

I'm disappointed with the results so far. However it's far too early to be comparing anything at present.

The expensive crocks don't cost much as we get insurance to cover them, don't we? Anderson is a strange one, why DF didn't move him out and recover some of the money god only knows.

I won't agree this isn't his side though. It's his team, full of players he's either chosen to keep or signed himself. Yes there are a couple of left overs but lets not pretend JR hasn't backed him or that they've caused him any kind of transfer headache. Many managers these days, even some down the leagues, don't even get a say in the players the club signs. The manager is paid to coach the team, get the best out of them and to get results with the players available. In this case, he's been able to keep / sign whoever he wants or can. There are no excuses where team / squad size is concerned.

I actually think on paper this squad is as good as we've had a for long time. Its clearly a striker short (which is down to DF), but all in all the additions have been pretty good. There are no excuses. He's got to deliver results for this football club, he hasn't so far both with Evans team and now with his own. The next 3/4 games will tell us everything we need to know.

Jamie, I'm sure DF has tried to resolve the Anderson saga, but it takes two to tango.

I think the reason why we have a striker short is due to finances. Isn't that why Angol left. Incidentally he has scored goals in league 1 since he left.

JR's pockets arnt bottomless and don't forget he's got other projects related to the football club on the go.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm

The NFL system is the way to go. Only pay the player at the end of the season. If the club tears the contract up they get nothing. So the injured players wouldn’t be paid. Only the guaranteed contracts for your best players would. Harsh but good for the clubs!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Jamie, I'm sure DF has tried to resolve the Anderson saga, but it takes two to tango.

I think the reason why we have a striker short is due to finances. Isn't that why Angol left. Incidentally he has scored goals in league 1 since he left.

JR's pockets arnt bottomless and don't forget he's got other projects related to the football club on the go.

How are you sure he has attempted to sort it out? Could be equally both fault or one or the other.

Either way I'm not going to make it up in my head so I can choose between a MTFC Manager or a MTFC player without knowing the facts.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Jamie wrote:

How are you sure he has attempted to sort it out? Could be equally both fault or one or the other.

Either way I'm not going to make it up in my head so I can choose between a MTFC Manager or a MTFC player without knowing the facts.

Because he sorted out a similar situation with Atkinson and Butcher.

It is in the best interest of the player, the manager and the club to sort it out. Anderson should be playing football on a regular basis. It is a short career at the best of times.

But you are quite right we don't know the full story.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:37 pm

Regarding Flitcroft, going purely off this season has been pretty much bang on average and it's clear we need a improvement from the manager and the players to get a better points return.

I don't care what excuses people have on here for him or any of the players, the ambition this season is to compete for the top three if you take in the budget we clearly have.

It's still early and although we are not very good at winning we are equally very hard to beat, so let's hope and pray we go in the right direction - I would figure we will have a idea if this squad and management is good enough sometime in October.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:51 am

Conker wrote:Regarding Flitcroft, going purely off this season has been pretty much bang on average and it's clear we need a improvement from the manager and the players to get a better points return.

I don't care what excuses people have on here for him or any of the players, the ambition this season is to compete for the top three if you take in the budget we clearly have.

It's still early and although we are not very good at winning we are equally very hard to beat, so let's hope and pray we go in the right direction - I would figure we will have a idea if this squad and management is good enough sometime in October.

You all keep harping on about the size of the budget.

ITS PURE CONJECTURE. YOU DONT KNOW WHAT BUDGET DF HAS BEEN GIVEN, OR WHAT JR CONSIDERS TO BE AN APPROPRIATE RETURN ON HIS INVESTMENT.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:30 am

Again more verbose tripe from edwinstowe stag, we know JR is aiming for the championship, he has said so a few times
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 am

Chimney wrote:Again more verbose tripe from edwinstowe stag, we know JR is aiming for the championship, he has said so a few times

Look Chimney - put your brain in gear before slamming my post. I am not disagreeing that JR has set the Championship as a TARGET. An AMBITION if you will. The man is not a short-termist. He won’t judge his manager purely on how well we do against this season’s budget.

I think, DF and JR have a shared vision, and they’re both realistic enough that big budgets are no guarantee of success (something our friend My Hardy is coming to understand).

We certainly don’t want Tom be yo-yo-ing between L2 and L1. Sustainable growth is vital. This requires a degree of patience.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Chimney wrote:Again more verbose tripe from edwinstowe stag, we know JR is aiming for the championship, he has said so a few times

Look Chimney - put your brain in gear before slamming my post. I am not disagreeing that JR has set the Championship as a TARGET. An AMBITION if you will. The man is not a short-termist. He won’t judge his manager purely on how well we do against this season’s budget.

I think, DF and JR have a shared vision, and they’re both realistic enough that big budgets are no guarantee of success (something our friend My Hardy is coming to understand).

We certainly don’t want Tom be yo-yo-ing between L2 and L1. Sustainable growth is vital. This requires a degree of patience.

How much more patient do you expect JR to be? We’ve been building ever since we came out the conference and the past few years JR has upped the ante and will now want to see results after 6 years in League 2 or whatever it is.

I know he doesn’t make rash decisions and he gives managers time, but now the investment has been upped I’d expect him to want the manager to deliver sooner rather than later - I doubt he will want to keep pumping money in at this rate trying to get out of league 2. Murray got a lot of time but his budget wasn’t what Evans or Flitcroft have had, and Evans was on track for promotion in my opinion - personally I don’t think Radford will settle for Flitcroft milling around in mid table for a year particularly after what happened last year - he’s got to start winning matches. I hope he does as he’s clearly passionate about the job but that can only get you so far.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Shared vision ! Flipflop better start putting some wins on the table or he will be on his bike Princess.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:56 am

He said 2.5m last season and it’s definitely not got any smaller and he’s always on about ‘promotion’ last season you think he’s changed now? You are not in reality, cmon let’s keep to common sense.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Jamie wrote:

We still have SCMP to contend with (L2 version of FFP) we may have insurance to cover it but we can only pay out 55% of our turnover on player wages. They fall under that category as well. Whether we are near that limit or not, I have no idea.

Perhaps he still wants rid of Butcher but his training, and a possible lack of other options to bring in, means he keeps him for now.

Christmas is bandied about alot because by then will have played everybody (or close to) once in the league. I'll give him until then and make judgement. It is far too early. We aren't even 2 months into the season yet.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:14 pm

abc wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Shared vision ! Flipflop better start putting some wins on the table or he will be on his bike Princess.

Less of the Princess, abc.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
abc wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Sorry. Duchess.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:14 pm

abc wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
abc wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Sorry. Duchess.

Necessary?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Why did he bother with Atkinson? It doesn`t matter who we play/have played. We need results and to be in the frame. The less we achieve early, the more we need to achieve later! It`s that simple.
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:47 am

We've not gelled yet ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 pm

i dont disagree with anyone on this thread at all. some think we're doing ok, ok. some think we should be doing better, ok. some think flitcroft is the man for the job, ok.
some think he isnt, ok. some think people are knee-jerk, ok. some think the writing is on the wall, ok. it's just all a bit ok.
it's just all a bit ok, ok.
and that's where we are.
we're ok.

glad it's not my money that's making us ok.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Spiritater wrote:We've not gelled yet ;)

Would have thought we would have galvanised by now though?
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby scotsstag » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:01 am

Jimstag wrote:

We need to give 110% and finish teams off. :mrgreen:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:18 am

Jimstag wrote:

Even Evans used to say we would get better in December. Footballers should gel much quicker than that, but then again he loved saving face.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:11 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Jimstag wrote:

Even Evans used to say we would get better in December. Footballers should gel much quicker than that, but then again he loved saving face.

Fact is we did get better though.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 am

abc wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Jimstag wrote:

Fact is we did get better though.

Top of the form table better actually at some point :oops:
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby laneymtfc » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:39 am

To me this is exactly like last year, only difference is the manager seems a more genuine bloke and we play more attractive football. The main issue is the same we aren't taking our chances, but I think itll come! and soon we should be towards the top end of the table. Fingers crossed anyway! Keep the faith lads and lasses!
laneymtfc
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum