{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"Have You Still Got That Stand?"

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: "Have You Still Got That Stand?"

Postby m1cksut » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm

to be fair, given that JR has ambitions for the club to rise through the leagues, how realistic is it for the ground, hedged in as it is by bishop st, to be big enough for championship (or even, in the realms of fantasy, premier league) football.
the bullet may have to be bitten and a new site sought for such a ground.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Even if we made the championship a capacity of around 10,000 (after SAG deductions) would be plenty any biggrr would be pointless.

Bournemouth are in their 4th EPL season with a capacity of 12,000.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Let's just leave it like that forever then? At some point it should be done, because it will make a return eventually it's just going to take a while.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Not at all, as I said about 2 pages ago, it needs to be developed to to keep ahead of SAGs ridiculous capacity restrictions.

We don't have anywhere near a 10,000 capacity at the moment.
Last edited by Sneag on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Not about capacity and all about image and aesthetics
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 pm

I spoke to someone who had an advertising board on the Bishop Street ‘Stand’. Last season it cost him between £1,200 to £1,300 for the board, multiplied by the 25 to 30 boards means that the Bishop Street, for negligible cost, brings in £35,000 to £40,000.

Would the crowd funding have to cover the shortfall in revenue whilst development takes place? Would the current and projected attendances in the new stand be able to cover this revenue also?

Also I dread to think what the furore on Stagsnet would be should the redevelopment not be to all tastes?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:05 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Not about capacity and all about image and aesthetics

It is about capacity, but that's a mere afterthought. At the moment it's about making the club look and feel like a professional outfit.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Can’t see why the stand can’t be knocked down, fhigh fencing put up and the advertising boards put on that will look a lot better than what we have. Tv gantry can still be put up as well. A bit like oxford
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:22 pm

i think it’s a great topic of conversation tbh, it’s an embarrassment & i would totally support it coming down, we could then replace with safe standing, what about the Stagsnet stand ?
i agree with Doomsta we get so much stick about it
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Fitzy499 wrote:Can’t see why the stand can’t be knocked down, fhigh fencing put up and the advertising boards put on that will look a lot better than what we have. Tv gantry can still be put up as well. A bit like oxford

Thats the minimum that should have happened... surely it can cost that much to knock it down? some of the front and seats have already been removed.... Get it tidied up at least!!

I think Chiltern Railways paid Oxford 200K to advertise on the whole of their fence
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Fitzy499 wrote:Can’t see why the stand can’t be knocked down, fhigh fencing put up and the advertising boards put on that will look a lot better than what we have. Tv gantry can still be put up as well. A bit like oxford

Thats the minimum that should have happened... surely it can cost that much to knock it down? some of the front and seats have already been removed.... Get it tidied up at least!!

I think Chiltern Railways paid Oxford 200K to advertise on the whole of their fence

I don’t think Chiltern Railways will want to advertise in the Wonk :lol:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:34 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i think it’s a great topic of conversation tbh, it’s an embarrassment & i would totally support it coming down, we could then replace with safe standing, what about the Stagsnet stand ?
i agree with Doomsta we get so much stick about it

calling it the stagsnet stand would be more embarrasing than what it is now :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:44 pm

All this talk about knocking it down to make terracing, I don't think it is as simple as that.

It's a long long time since I've been in BSS but from what I can remember it is a wooden structure, with rooms underneath. Knocking down the stand might be doable but to back fill and make terracing won't exactly by cheap, in any case will the brick work facing onto Bishop Street be strong enough to contain the back fill.

Not convinced it can be done in small steps.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Vice President wrote:The first step .... before raising any funds ... is to establish the costs of the following:-

(a) Demolishing the current stand
(b) Building an open terrace
(c) Building a roofed terrace
(d) It would also be good for the club to share their plans that they have already drawn up, costs, architects drawings & costs for a new Bishop st.
(I believe that the club has already estimated that a 2,000 seat stand would cost £2m).

Then armed with those four pieces of information we would have a frame of reference to work within.

However, we also need to balance the short-term 'clearance/terrace' idea with the medium/long term plans for a seated stand. (And balance that with a forecast of the financial impact of the loss of 'seated' income versus 'standing' income).

Given all that, doing option (a) would at least be a step in the right direction towards whatever longer term option we go for.

(a) demolish the current stand - shouldn’t cost much after a home match get the fans to push it over the wood in the stand is that rotten it should be easy

(b) the concrete steps are still there. Purpose built terracing

(C) and (d) that is where most of the cost will come from but once the stand is down how about we fund the new on from ticket sales for that stand only. Open it up for home fans only at a)15 a game with £10 from each sale going towards the new stand and £5 back to the club

Obviously (a) and (b) are a bit tongue in cheek but the other two could be done surely
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Would look smart if something like this was eventually built, not sure if this is what the club have had drawn up.

No scoreboard though :lol:
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:13 pm

Every time this subject comes up I post the same reply but nobody seems to listen.
Spending money on Bishop Street will not increase attendances - therefore it is not money well spent.
However bad it may look, it is costing us nothing and raking in income from advertising.
All those suggesting we convert it to terracing are planning to cost the club twice - firstly to redevelop and secondly in lost income. If we terraced Bishop Street the only people that would use it are people who currently pay to sit down. Therefore, they will be paying at least £5 less to watch the game. Assuming 500 people transfer over there it will be costing the club £2,500 per game - over £50,000 per season.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:24 am

Sneag wrote:If this was going to be a terrace I wonder how much would be required to crowd fund it?
The old North Stand was paid for & built by the fans.

Can we have our money back?
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 am

There would be an extra revenue stream from individual hospitality boxes. Something we currently don't have.

I think JR is waiting and looking at the bigger picture. To build a stand all the way along that side of the pitch, a few houses on Lord St behind our fabulous new scoreboard would need to be purchased, as the space there is very narrow.

Something the "Count of Culver" could have rectified at the time he built the other stands.

I would imagine JR wants League 1 football before he does anything further.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am

Dave Wayne wrote:Every time this subject comes up I post the same reply but nobody seems to listen.
Spending money on Bishop Street will not increase attendances - therefore it is not money well spent.
However bad it may look, it is costing us nothing and raking in income from advertising.
All those suggesting we convert it to terracing are planning to cost the club twice - firstly to redevelop and secondly in lost income. If we terraced Bishop Street the only people that would use it are people who currently pay to sit down. Therefore, they will be paying at least £5 less to watch the game. Assuming 500 people transfer over there it will be costing the club £2,500 per game - over £50,000 per season.

That's a very good point Dave. One possible solution could be that (coupled with winning/attractive football of course ;) ), if the 500 people lost from leaving their seats could be compensated for by gaining an additional 250 people as a result of the lower standing price.
Alternatively - the club could consider charging the same price for standing as sitting (perhaps as a temporary measure, until certain costs are recouped).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 pm

It would probably earn the club more money as an overspill
For visiting fans especially for any local derbys & big games .
The corporate boxes are a good idea too
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:Every time this subject comes up I post the same reply but nobody seems to listen.
A very good post. This is not the time to do anything with the Bishop Street stand.

On a positive, at least we have the potential to increase the capacity of the stadium, if attendances increase sufficiently.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:36 am

Everyone understands the 'attendances' argument ..... However, replacing Bishop St. isn't about attendances ...... it is about aesthetics.

We don't need to increase the capacity at the moment - but we do need to do something about that side of the ground.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Vice President wrote:Everyone understands the 'attendances' argument ..... However, replacing Bishop St. isn't about attendances ...... it is about aesthetics.

We don't need to increase the capacity at the moment - but we do need to do something about that side of the ground.

Attendances and sponsorship money pay the bills though, aesthetics don't. Why do we need to do something about that side of the ground atm? Just to save a few from crying their eyes out cos it's an eyesore. The time will come (hopefully) when it needs to be done and that time isn't now. I think they've done a super job with Woburn and imo it's a more important development for t'club at pres than developing t'Bish that'll remain probably empty 90% of a season. Our and the away followings are quite easily accomodated with what we have now for the most part with hundreds and hundreds of seats to spare. We'll get near capacity probably 2-3 times this season but the rest of the time we'll be 2-2.5k short.

I'm sure Johnny'll know when the time's right and will put things into gear, but shelling out wads of cash now for something to calm the easily upset and offended will have to wait.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:56 pm

I was asked this question just recently from a Derby County supporter friend of mine , so to deflect from the embarrassment , I asked him why his city hadn't got two clubs . Lol
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:26 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Vice President wrote:Everyone understands the 'attendances' argument ..... However, replacing Bishop St. isn't about attendances ...... it is about aesthetics.

Attendances and sponsorship money pay the bills though, aesthetics don't. Why do we need to do something about that side of the ground atm? Just to save a few from crying their eyes out cos it's an eyesore. The time will come (hopefully) when it needs to be done and that time isn't now. I think they've done a super job with Woburn and imo it's a more important development for t'club at pres than developing t'Bish that'll remain probably empty 90% of a season. Our and the away followings are quite easily accomodated with what we have now for the most part with hundreds and hundreds of seats to spare. We'll get near capacity probably 2-3 times this season but the rest of the time we'll be 2-2.5k short.

I'm sure Johnny'll know when the time's right and will put things into gear, but shelling out wads of cash now for something to calm the easily upset and offended will have to wait.

Isn't it better to plan ahead in anticipation of increased attendances (despite the moaning from some, they've been on an upward trajectory for years), than waiting until it's 'needed'.

Fix the roof while the sun is shining. :D
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum