{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"Have You Still Got That Stand?"

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

"Have You Still Got That Stand?"

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:38 am

For my sins I now work across South Yorkshire, mainly Sheffield and Rotherham but occasionally I'm in Doncaster, Wakefield and as far as Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield.

When folks find out that you're a Mansfield Town fan, surprisingly enough calling me a 'scab' is never on the agenda. Top of the list are two questions, either:
"Have you still got that stand?"
Or,
"What's with that stand?"

I've had three conversations in the past fortnight about it.
Nothing so searching as how we're doing, or what I think we'll achieve this season. Nope, it's 'that stand.'

It got me thinking that the Bishop Street is something that we are known for. Forget all of the positivity surrounding the club or the fortunes that the Radders have spent on Field Mill.

Even in the event of filling in a corner with a £10m Hilton, Field Mill will still be best known by outsiders as 'that ground with that derelict stand.'

Unfortunate for us and all of the hard work put in by the owners. Cheers Haslam.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Re: "Have You Still Got That Stand?"

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:42 am

DoomMerchant wrote:For my sins I now work across South Yorkshire, mainly Sheffield and Rotherham but occasionally I'm in Doncaster, Wakefield and as far as Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield.

When folks find out that you're a Mansfield Town fan, surprisingly enough calling me a 'scab' is never on the agenda. Top of the list are two questions, either:
Or,

Nothing so searching as how we're doing, or what I think we'll achieve this season. Nope, it's 'that stand.'

It got me thinking that the Bishop Street is something that we are known for. Forget all of the positivity surrounding the club or the fortunes that the Radders have spent on Field Mill.

Even in the event of filling in a corner with a £10m Hilton, Field Mill will still be best known by outsiders as 'that ground with that derelict stand.'

Unfortunate for us and all of the hard work put in by the owners. Cheers Haslam.

At the evening with in the summer John Radford did confirm that there is architectural plans drawn up for a new stand but at the moment his resources are firmly focused on Woburn and the hotel.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:44 am

You can't blame him but it's a shame - the only time we would need that space would be when certain teams come to the mill and can easily fill the North stand.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:50 am

Would be nice to knock it down and have one of them lee fabricated stands like Barnet have. Would only need to hold 800-1000 and use it for Away Support.

County and Lincoln would be an,e to bring 2600/2700 fans then boosting our coffers.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:53 am

And quite rightly his focus should be on current projects, get these projects over the line and at some point it will be dealt with. Rome wasn't built in a day.

The infrastructure JR is putting in place will ultimately be his legacy, the club will be a stark contrast to the one he took over.

In JR we trust.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Would be nice to knock it down and have one of them lee fabricated stands like Barnet have. Would only need to hold 800-1000 and use it for Away Support.

County and Lincoln would be an,e to bring 2600/2700 fans then boosting our coffers.

it would be nice,but surely not financially sensible to build a stand so we can have a couple hundred extra away fans two games a year (if they're both in our league that is)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:13 pm

This isn't a subject set-up to suggest that Lord Radders should pull his finger out and build a stand. It's a thread set-up to highlight that whatever great work Sir Radder of Retford does with MTFC and Field Mill, many outsiders recognise our ground by the dilapidated advertising hoarding, shouldered with two miserable examples of keeping score.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:36 pm

I wonder how much a bigger version of the Twigg Stand at Matlock would cost?

I think the advantage of having an extra 1,000 or so seats in the ground is you don't have to go to so much time & expense kissing SAGs arse to be allowed to get the ground up to full capacity.

Over the last few years the club have bent over backwards to accommodate these clowns & yet we're still seeing 'sell outs' at 1,500 below the real capacity of the ground.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Sneag wrote:I wonder how much a bigger version of the Twigg Stand at Matlock would cost?

I think the advantage of having an extra 1,000 or so seats in the ground is you don't have to go to so much time & expense kissing SAGs arse to be allowed to get the ground up to full capacity.

Over the last few years the club have bent over backwards to accommodate these clowns & yet we're still seeing 'sell outs' at 1,500 below the real capacity of the ground.

I think the plans drawn up are for a terrace.

Something like the Luton one with the boxes could be good, but like mentioned it's all not worth it at present.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Much as I appreciate that the stand is an eyesore and does nothing but harm to the clubs reputation I can't see why we expect JR to build a new stand, particularly as he does not actually own the ground yet. I realise he almost does, and is intending to speculate on the new hotel but I feel we've just got to be patient and wait. Particularly as crowds are on the up and hopefully in next few seasons there will be bigger away followings to accomadate. Best he spends his money on recuiting the right players. Ad he had done
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:21 pm

robeyre wrote:Much as I appreciate that the stand is an eyesore and does nothing but harm to the clubs reputation I can't see why we expect JR to build a new stand, particularly as he does not actually own the ground yet. I realise he almost does, and is intending to speculate on the new hotel but I feel we've just got to be patient and wait. Particularly as crowds are on the up and hopefully in next few seasons there will be bigger away followings to accomadate. Best he spends his money on recuiting the right players. Ad he had done

Who has said they expect it? I think the general feeling is it be nice, but not make sense in the current climate.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:23 pm

If this was going to be a terrace I wonder how much would be required to crowd fund it?
The old North Stand was paid for & built by the fans.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:23 pm

It’s an eyesore
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I’d love the corporate box idea. At least better than it is now, but better still, standing terrace would hold 2,000 surely.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:55 pm

bellwhiff wrote:It’s an eyesore

Be grateful that the cameras are located above the BSS, thus denying viewers sight of the stand and the wonderful scoreboard collection.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:03 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Be grateful that the cameras are located above the BSS, thus denying viewers sight of the stand and the wonderful scoreboard collection.

There is a hell of a lot of advertising on there. Which must generate some income..wouldn’t like to advertise on there myself it would get lost on that lot.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:50 pm

daddycool wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

There is a hell of a lot of advertising on there. Which must generate some income..wouldn’t like to advertise on there myself it would get lost on that lot.

As an advertiser, I would consider my brand to have been “devalued” if exposed on this tasteless hoarding. Presumedly, the advertisers paying for space on this eyesore do so out of affection for the club.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:03 pm

It is a truly embarrassing eyesore.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:27 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:For my sins I now work across South Yorkshire, mainly Sheffield and Rotherham but occasionally I'm in Doncaster, Wakefield and as far as Leeds, Bradford and Huddersfield.

Or,

When I say I'm a Mansfield fan the immediate response is some quip about Carolyn.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:33 pm

abc wrote:It is a truly embarrassing eyesore.
I wanted it gone but it is unique now. In 20 or so years it will become a listed and protected building and kind of historic. In 2000 years it will rank alongside the great pyramids and the great wall of China.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:48 pm

The Bishop St. stand is a huge embarrassment to the club. I have been banging on about it for so long, I have almost given up mentioning it. ;)

People always say that our attendances don't justify developing that stand - and I understand that logic. However, I was dismayed to read that McNulty was persuaded against signing for us when shown photos of that stand. If he had have signed for us, I believe that we would have been promoted to league 1 last season. Which supports my point that a decent stadium goes way beyond the simple 'seating business case'. It is also all about the look, feel, atmosphere and ultimately the image & reputation of the club ...... as the original post ably demonstrates.

No, I don't expect JR to spend his hard earned money on it ..... but it is a shame that, as a club, something can't be done about it ...... even if we don't get into the Championship!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Vice President wrote:The Bishop St. stand is a huge embarrassment to the club. I have been banging on about it for so long, I have almost given up mentioning it. ;)

People always say that our attendances don't justify developing that stand - and I understand that logic. However, I was dismayed to read that McNulty was persuaded against signing for us when shown photos of that stand. If he had have signed for us, I believe that we would have been promoted to league 1 last season. Which supports my point that a decent stadium goes way beyond the simple 'seating business case'. It is also all about the look, feel, atmosphere and ultimately the image & reputation of the club ...... as the original post ably demonstrates.

No, I don't expect JR to spend his hard earned money on it ..... but it is a shame that, as a club, something can't be done about it ...... even if we don't get into the Championship!

What we need is a director on the board with building contractual experience.....

Oh wait a minute....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:12 pm

I think it has been said Carolyn see's it as an eyesore.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I think it has been said Carolyn see's it as an eyesore.

I'm sure JR and CR would love to sort it out and I bet they don't like it either but really it's not that important compared to the new training facilities and the new hotel which will bring the club/JR money for years to come. There will come a day when it gets revamped, when we're on the verge of championship in a few years time :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:07 am

SINA STAG wrote:
Vice President wrote:The Bishop St. stand is a huge embarrassment to the club. I have been banging on about it for so long, I have almost given up mentioning it. ;)

What we need is a director on the board with building contractual experience.....

Oh wait a minute....

Steve Hymas has done a great job with the training facility. I would be very interested to hear Steve's views, as to what he thinks we should do about Bishop St. in the short/medium/long term - and whether he would be interested in being involved with any stages of the project?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum