{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

steve evans interview

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: steve evans interview

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 am

I’d rather do it the right way than the Evans way. He’s a turd. No morals or principles.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby white5581 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:02 am

Amber Andy wrote:Why do I get the impression his CV of promotions are more important than anything else to him ?

Exactly This! He jumped ship knowing he possibly could tarnish his amazing promotion record if he failed to get mansfield over the line.
white5581
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

StagsFan83 wrote:Love it hate it, Peterborough will go up and they have made a profit this transfer window after the sale for £6million for Jack Marriott

sold him for £3.5 mill actually
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:20 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Love him or hate him he does get results and is big name in our level of football
Can see why Radfords went for him
Big of course being the operative word
He is odious devious and cocky and he did give things a buzz here but Judas to the core and knows it and loves it .
He will win promotion this season of that I have no doubt but the ilk and honesty of Flitcroft is better for the club in its current position BUT whether he will get us any further this season Iam still not 100 % sure

True, but i'd bet a great many more managers could say the same if they got the same level of financial backing?

I'd like him to spend several stints at clubs with really limited resources to prove me wrong, but the fact he plumps for cash cows tells me he's only interested in jobs where success is easier to attain. Based on that i'd agree it's all about making his CV look good, rather than actually being the best
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Love him or hate him he does get results and is big name in our level of football
Can see why Radfords went for him
Big of course being the operative word
He is odious devious and cocky and he did give things a buzz here but Judas to the core and knows it and loves it .
He will win promotion this season of that I have no doubt but the ilk and honesty of Flitcroft is better for the club in its current position BUT whether he will get us any further this season Iam still not 100 % sure

True, but i'd bet a great many more managers could say the same if they got the same level of financial backing?

I'd like him to spend several stints at clubs with really limited resources to prove me wrong, but the fact he plumps for cash cows tells me he's only interested in jobs where success is easier to attain. Based on that i'd agree it's all about making his CV look good, rather than actually being the best

Making his CV look good? Maybe.

Making him look good? Well, as they say - You can’t polish a turd.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby nonnie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:06 pm

It’s been mentioned on here before but read the Journeyman by Ben Smith on my summer holidays who talks in depth about him and his mate Raynor

Fascinating read into his antics and just what players really think of him and his ability to speak white lies and manufacture false senarios
nonnie
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:25 pm

Surely the only interview with Evans worth listening to will be when he is asked, ‘Steve, why are you an obnoxious, odious, duplicitous, self serving and generally loathe some individual?’

Though I can’t see the likes of Motson, Lineker etc. ever asking a question that will upset their television paymasters.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:05 pm

We need to let this go, every week there’s a thread about this... we sound like a bitter ex-girlfriend who can’t quite let go
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:24 pm

nonnie wrote:It’s been mentioned on here before but read the Journeyman by Ben Smith on my summer holidays who talks in depth about him and his mate Raynor

Fascinating read into his antics and just what players really think of him and his ability to speak white lies and manufacture false senarios

What did he generally say? I know an ex pro who went on loan to Boston for a month from Chesterfield, then a bit longer but begged to have the loan cancelled because of Evans. He said he couldn't tell if he was genuinely passionate about football or just a complete and utter insane idiot who loved himself....
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:07 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
nonnie wrote:It’s been mentioned on here before but read the Journeyman by Ben Smith on my summer holidays who talks in depth about him and his mate Raynor

What did he generally say? I know an ex pro who went on loan to Boston for a month from Chesterfield, then a bit longer but begged to have the loan cancelled because of Evans. He said he couldn't tell if he was genuinely passionate about football or just a complete and utter insane idiot who loved himself....

it's a really good read, and he certainly does sound like a nasty character but he says there could be a method to his madness. all the usual stuff like screaming in players faces calling them c***s and trying to get players to sign release forms or other threats if they spoke out against him. making his players 'train' on a Sunday when his team lost even though it was usually another rollocking and making players run. Raynor just a yes man as I think we all knew. evans trying to force Ben Smith out the team with loads of extra fitness training but he says he thought it was a test to see if he was good enough for him. lying about money... said Crawley had 'a lot more where that came from' when tubbs was signed for 70k but then wouldn't pay up Smith's walk away fee of £15,000 because they had a bust up

loads more in it too, really interesting how a human can behave like SE does
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

it's a really good read, and he certainly does sound like a nasty character but he says there could be a method to his madness. all the usual stuff like screaming in players faces calling them c***s and trying to get players to sign release forms or other threats if they spoke out against him. making his players 'train' on a Sunday when his team lost even though it was usually another rollocking and making players run. Raynor just a yes man as I think we all knew. evans trying to force Ben Smith out the team with loads of extra fitness training but he says he thought it was a test to see if he was good enough for him. lying about money... said Crawley had 'a lot more where that came from' when tubbs was signed for 70k but then wouldn't pay up Smith's walk away fee of £15,000 because they had a bust up

Smith ends up saying that he had a lot of respect for Evans as a manager (although not necessarily as a person). It appears that Evans tests out players to see whether they'll respond well to his methods. If not they leave, are got rid of, or do a Calum Butcher.
Evans is a rogue genius who can get you results if you back him, but it's no use expecting him to be the honest or caring type! I'm sure that Danny Rose hasn't read this book, otherwise he'd have handled his "move" to Peterborough quite differently.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 am

Bradders wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Smith ends up saying that he had a lot of respect for Evans as a manager (although not necessarily as a person). It appears that Evans tests out players to see whether they'll respond well to his methods. If not they leave, are got rid of, or do a Calum Butcher.
Evans is a rogue genius who can get you results if you back him, but it's no use expecting him to be the honest or caring type! I'm sure that Danny Rose hasn't read this book, otherwise he'd have handled his "move" to Peterborough quite differently.
A "rogue genius" I would never described him as that. :lol:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 am

Bradders wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

yes I forgot to add that, Smith says he loved his time at Crawley but didn't always agree with the fat man's techniques. as you say, I bet butcher got the treatment that Smith did at times, one week he's amazing then the next he'll not be good enough to play under Evans.

oh, and Smith also says the 'we never get too high when we win or too low when we lose' is a load of rubbish as he used to scream at all the players after a poor performance and drag them in for training on Sunday morning or cancelled days off.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I extremely doubt if we`d have got promotion under the enormous one. I had an open mind on him, although my mate hated him. For someone to do what he did, shows how low some people? will go, to further themselves. Not my sort of person. I doubt if he has long for this World, being so super fit! Can we please forget him now?
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:27 pm

PRL13 wrote:I extremely doubt if we`d have got promotion under the enormous one. I had an open mind on him, although my mate hated him. For someone to do what he did, shows how low some people? will go, to further themselves. Not my sort of person. I doubt if he has long for this World, being so super fit! Can we please forget him now?

Now that’s highly unlikely!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:37 pm

PRL13 wrote:I extremely doubt if we`d have got promotion under the enormous one. I had an open mind on him, although my mate hated him. For someone to do what he did, shows how low some people? will go, to further themselves. Not my sort of person. I doubt if he has long for this World, being so super fit! Can we please forget him now?

PRL13, as much as I dislike him, your comment on his projected time left on this earth is in very poor taste.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum