{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

WBA Fizzy Pop Cup Scorefred sponsored by Lets Go For IT

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: WBA Fizzy Pop Cup Scorefred sponsored by Lets Go For IT

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:28 pm

The small town in Asia thing. I regarded it in the context of it being sang in jest. If it is sung with a malicious slant, then that’s where it’s wrong.
I meant singing it in the same context as going to Newcastle and singing you’re a small town in Sunderland.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:35 pm

Newcastle is next to Sunderland.

West Bromwich is not situated next to to Asia
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Random Hero wrote:
BigGuy wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:The support was fantastic, yet this term removed we have associated with us

Whatever point you have to make can I am sure be made by not making a racist term yourself, shame on you!

Yes I will be reporting this piece you have written.

Before you have the nerve to reply to me, look up the definition of the term you used.

term is usually a racial slur ]

Completely agree.

I dont consider that phrase racist. I think its a slur against the poor, economically deprived, uneducated and the generally marginalized underclass of america. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/272 ... hite-trash
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:49 pm

bellwhiff wrote:The small town in Asia thing. I regarded it in the context of it being sang in jest. If it is sung with a malicious slant, then that’s where it’s wrong.
I meant singing it in the same context as going to Newcastle and singing you’re a small town in Sunderland.

The small town in Asia/where's yer Taliban chants at Luton started the year Kinnear's goons smashed up the changing rooms & a week or two after 2 of Luton's finest were killed fighting for the Taliban against the British/US, and I think were calculated to cause the maximum offence to Luton's hoolies. It's also 16-17 years ago.

Not excusing or justifying, just adding some context.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:00 am

Stags 2002 wrote:A song that is meant with malice that we all sing regularly is about hitting a spireite fan in the face with a brick, it isn't racial but again is it politically correct to sing in this day and age with families (of which i include my own) in the vicinity and promoting ourselves as a family club

As a parent this should be the very first song your child should be taught in their life. Let’s get our priorities in order here ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 am

It’s Its a shame this forum has stopped discussing a wonderful performance by Mansfield and we now have 3 seperate threads about 20 or so people.

Back to it, I thought we were excellent Tuesday night, played freely and confidently. We just wanted that extra pass all the time, until Rose came on and crashed the bar we looked a bit clueless in front of goal.

Support was fantastic!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:57 am

Foresttownstag wrote:It’s Its a shame this forum has stopped discussing a wonderful performance by Mansfield and we now have 3 seperate threads about 20 or so people.

Back to it, I thought we were excellent Tuesday night, played freely and confidently. We just wanted that extra pass all the time, until Rose came on and crashed the bar we looked a bit clueless in front of goal.

Support was fantastic!

Agreed, a couple of threads should be moved to the political forum
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:13 am

Dan wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:A song that is meant with malice that we all sing regularly is about hitting a spireite fan in the face with a brick, it isn't racial but again is it politically correct to sing in this day and age with families (of which i include my own) in the vicinity and promoting ourselves as a family club

As a parent this should be the very first song your child should be taught in their life. Let’s get our priorities in order here ;)

I can't say I disagree ;) , Second only to twinkle twinkle little star :lol:

But where is the line drawn, people will have significantly different views on where it should be drawn ranging from the overly politically correct where we sit in quiet all game and can't even sing "Yellows" because it discriminates against the other colours of the spectrum (Red and Blue are especially offended being the other primary colours) to the other extreme which crosses into the realms of criminality and should be legally punished within the courts of the land.

The easy answer of course is somewhere inbetween but what does that look like?
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:42 am

Chimney wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:It’s Its a shame this forum has stopped discussing a wonderful performance by Mansfield and we now have 3 seperate threads about 20 or so people.

Support was fantastic!

This issue is definitely Stags related.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:21 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Chimney wrote:

Support was fantastic!

This issue is definitely Stags related.

It is however I don’t think it needs 3 separate threads, we should be discussing a great performance from Mansfield but we’re focussing on 20 or so individuals.
Last edited by Foresttownstag on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:
Fitzy499 wrote:
grufti wrote:
Onelove wrote:Fantastic effort on the pitch and mostly a fantastic effort off of it. Shame about the Bagdad, Pakistan and Tommy Robinson chants. These people really should try and spread their minds and horizons beyond South Normanton. The response of "that's just embarrassing" by the West Brom fans, was about as accurate as it gets. The best and worst of Mansfield tonight. Well done boys and well done to the majority of fans. COYS

Totally agree, ashamed to hear this raspberry, no wonder opposing fans think we're thick knuckle draggers

And that there is the very reason why we have 13:00 kick offs because of the small minority of “fans” behaving like that

They are a shambles, a little band of oldish teenagers, joined in their chants by a couple of old men who have never changed.
Engerland, Ingerland, was equally embarrassing....why do they do it?!
The support was fantastic, yet this term removed we have associated with us (particularly when Malvinder Singh Benning has loads of family and friends there supporting him and us in our support) continually shame our club. 'That's just embarrassing'....how apt.

On the playing side, fantastic stuff esp the last 20 minutes, how can they be so different to Sat?

An 18 year old Grimsby fan has been charged with racial abuse following their match on Saturday. He was reported to the authorities by fans of his own club who have supplied the evidence to support the charge.

That's how you stop it.

Is it time for Fan Cams ?
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:37 am

No....that would be the easiest way to get a punch on the nose, filming people on the terraces , cause more trouble than it stops
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:32 am

To Chimney and Big Guy, I have already PM'd you about a term I used and which offended you.
Looking back it was written in frustration at the behaviour of a few who shame us all but no excuse if you found it crossed the line.
You are right it was a crass comment, and hopefully this public apology will help. I am mortified that I came across in that way, and can say with some degree of certainty this will be my last post on here.
I'm not at all going off in a huff we are Mansfield Town fans with different views on many matters and it is quite a unique place or forum for strong views from either side on many topics , but my race is run on here. I have never wanted to offend anyone so a line is crossed for me.
Up the Stags I hope we can fulfill all our dreams this season!!!
Grimmers.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:41 am

Mr Grimsdale wrote:To Chimney and Big Guy, I have already PM'd you about a term I used and which offended you.
Looking back it was written in frustration at the behaviour of a few who shame us all but no excuse if you found it crossed the line.
You are right it was a crass comment, and hopefully this public apology will help. I am mortified that I came across in that way, and can say with some degree of certainty this will be my last post on here.
I'm not at all going off in a huff we are Mansfield Town fans with different views on many matters and it is quite a unique place or forum for strong views from either side on many topics , but my race is run on here. I have never wanted to offend anyone so a line is crossed for me.
Grimmers.

Nice one Big Guy and Chimney... What mr grimsdale wrote may have offended you, but should it have lead to this? I dont consider the term he used racist or offensive. If hed have replaced the word 'white' with 'trailer' would that have still caused such offence?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:14 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Mr Grimsdale wrote:To Chimney and Big Guy, I have already PM'd you about a term I used and which offended you.
Grimmers.

Nice one Big Guy and Chimney... What mr grimsdale wrote may have offended you, but should it have lead to this? I dont consider the term he used racist or offensive. If hed have replaced the word 'white' with 'trailer' would that have still caused such offence?

Imagine if he had replaced 'white' with 'black' would that have still caused such offence?
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum