{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Are we better or worse?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Are we better or worse?

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:46 pm

Chimney wrote:
Spiritater wrote:I think we're better but haven't gelled yet, it'll take till Jan/Feb before we have.

Wow that's some statement. If we "gel" at the end of January, we have 16 games to save our season,
If the team needs 6 months to get to know each other, we are in deep pooh

Therefore I assume there was irony in your post

What, giving a manager a year and two transfer windows is so far fetched :lol: Clearly if by Nov/Dec we are struggling at the wrong end of the table then even JR will re-assess, but the previous manager left a raft of issues that sadly were not sorted during the summer. I am sure you and a few others would have done what Hardy did at Notts, for me it is ridiculous to allow a manager to spend so much in the summer and then sack him 5 games in, utterly stupid, but this is Hardy. Happily, JR is infinitely more patient and intelligent - barring any real disaster I fully expect DF to be our manager into next year.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:29 pm

abc wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:We are a work in progress.

Will take another two transfer windows before the squad is sorted.

I bet you wouldn't say that if you were funding it.
Not sure what you mean abc.

Basically it will take two more transfer windows to rid ourselves of the previous managers expensive flops and replace them with players like Khan.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Basically it will take two more transfer windows to rid ourselves of the previous managers expensive flops and replace them with players like Khan.

Khan didn't come cheap. The expensive Flops as you call them couldn't of done any worse than the players Flipflop picked in the second half yesterday.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 pm

abc wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Khan didn't come cheap. The expensive Flops as you call them couldn't of done any worse than the players Flipflop picked in the second half yesterday.
Really. Most people on here will tell you that DF's signings have been far better tha Mr Walk away's. Trouble is they are on wages that are so good, we can't move them on. Also I would say Angol cost more than Khan. Who signed Stirling - James , Mellis and Danny Rose ? I will give you a clue, not DF.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
abc wrote:

Really. Most people on here will tell you that DF's signings have been far better tha Mr Walk away's. Trouble is they are on wages that are so good, we can't move them on. Also I would say Angol cost more than Khan. Who signed Stirling - James and who signed Danny Rose ?

I agree, Tyler Walker looks slightly better than Jimmy Spencer :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Didn't realise Spencer was still with us ! :roll:
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:50 am

It is not just a case of better or worse for ourselves. That would only apply if the rest of the league had been stagnant over the summer but it hasn’t and all, with the exception of County signing Agent Dennis, have tried to improve.

The question is have we improved, noticeably so and are we headed in the correct direction this season?

I think the answer is a resounding yes. The signings made look to be, though early days, hungry for footballing success and are footballers. The style we play, when we play as often we drop off towards the end, is what I want to watch. The spine of the team has been strengthened (Preston, Bishop and Davies and now Bobby in goal). The problems with the side ie closing the games out and silly goals can be worked on.

COYS
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:18 am

Better for me so far, though I'm still to be convinced DF will promote us. However, I'll give him more time and not resort to the high-chair hijinks of a few fans on here.

Many also seem to suggest the footy is far better, so why are the critics so impatient this time around? I'm sure there's a perfectly valid reason, but so far its just portrayed as embitterment about last season
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:36 am

I think the main difference between the two managers is...;

Evans....signed(on paper) some quality players who were well capable of playing football... then went on to stop those players playing football.. bullied the football out of them!!!

Flitcroft.....hands tied with signings... done really well to convince the existing players that they can play football again!!!

Wether Flitcroft has what it takes to get us over the finish line we have yet to see... but I am more than happy with things at the moment...
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby PRL13 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 am

Tyler is far better than Spencer!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Conker » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:08 am

Davies and Walker have both been off in the past two games, you could argue to drop one for Rose but I doubt that happening with him still on the transfer list.

Still could do with another striker IMO !
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:19 am

Conker wrote:Davies and Walker have both been off in the past two games, you could argue to drop one for Rose but I doubt that happening with him still on the transfer list.

Still could do with another striker IMO !

I'd give Jordan Graham ago against West Brom.

If DR goes, which looks increasingly likely ( if his heart was here he'd be off the transfer list), we will definitely need another striker.

So far, DF's recruitment has been good, so I think he will bring in some one decent.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm

I don’t get this gelling bull, other teams we play every week also had a similar amount of new players, a similar length pre season, if we are a better team, we should be winning. Flitcroft out.
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby StagsFan83 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:05 pm

Just to add to that, 5 at the back doesn’t work for us, Flitcroft has us playing fancy football but this is league two, how long will us fans hang on to ‘we had a good preseason, we beat Accrington’s second team 6-1’ before we realise at this rate we won’t go up
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:23 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:Just to add to that, 5 at the back doesn’t work for us, Flitcroft has us playing fancy football but this is league two, how long will us fans hang on to ‘we had a good preseason, we beat Accrington’s second team 6-1’ before we realise at this rate we won’t go up

Coxy's still looking for work if hoofball's what you crave.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:03 pm

I can't believe I'm reading "Flitcroft out" posts this early in the season. Don't know what it would be like if we'd actually lost a game. Some people are so impatient and seem to think we have some sort of God given right to be promoted. I honestly think that despite people saying they'll give Flitcroft a chance, they're actually wanting him to fail so they can claim they were right all along. Chopping and changing Managers doesn't work, just take a look down the A60, see how it's worked for them.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Rigsby wrote:I can't believe I'm reading "Flitcroft out" posts this early in the season. Don't know what it would be like if we'd actually lost a game. Some people are so impatient and seem to think we have some sort of God given right to be promoted. I honestly think that despite people saying they'll give Flitcroft a chance, they're actually wanting him to fail so they can claim they were right all along. Chopping and changing Managers doesn't work, just take a look down the A60, see how it's worked for them.

Rigsby - Never underestimate the propensity for negativity amongst many (so-called) Stags fans on this forum. Some can’t help themselves, of course - they’re morons.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:10 pm

Rigsby wrote:I can't believe I'm reading "Flitcroft out" posts this early in the season. Don't know what it would be like if we'd actually lost a game. Some people are so impatient and seem to think we have some sort of God given right to be promoted. I honestly think that despite people saying they'll give Flitcroft a chance, they're actually wanting him to fail so they can claim they were right all along. Chopping and changing Managers doesn't work, just take a look down the A60, see how it's worked for them.

Welcome to the banality that is Stagsnet. Five games in and unbeaten. Calling for the manager to be sacked. True insanity. I am constantly bemused by the idiocy of some so called “supporters”
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Billericay have got rid of their manager and the owner has taken charge.

This past week, with all the changes of leadership it has brought, must mean the sacking season has started early.

Can’t wait till Alan Hardy follows the business model of billericay and has a go himself! (Finger crossed for that day)
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:15 pm

It is all about keeping clean sheets and taking your chances. Formations & pretty football are secondary.

It is too early to judge, but given the league results so far, it looks like we have some work to do/might be a couple of players short at the moment.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:39 pm

Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

A little less of that positivity please.

People are trying to hang themselves over here.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:50 pm

That made me chuckle. Thanks.....
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby geoffhill » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Spencer is at Farsley.He scored at the weekend.Potter is at Billeracy.Only Anderson and Diamond to get rid of.Apparently Stags fans voted Gibbens mom at macc.He did ok but was not my mom by a long stretch.Having said that he could well become a very good player.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Better. It's very early days and I'm not sure we will score enough goals.forget Accy. That was their reserves, and way down their list of priorities for the season. It's marginal.Nolan has just had the boot at Notts with a better record than Flitcroft.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum