{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

This time last season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

This time last season

Postby Binghamstag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:48 am

Didnt we only have 5 points with mr evans in charge?
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: This time last season

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:51 am

Cool story bro
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:12 am

And where did that get us in the end?
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:32 am

Maybe because last season we had more or less a completely new squad . Thus season we've had a few new additions . Shouldn't be so hard to gel , even though the manager is playing players out of position
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 am

1 point short of a play off place wasn't it. 2 extra before the end of August is a good start. ;)

Look I'd have sacked DF in May, but JR didn't. This is a different season and what happened last year has to be viewed as largely irrelevant. Where it does have an impact is normally the natives (and JR) don't get restless until November if our form is indifferent, because of last years implosion I suspect the pitchforks and torches will be out by the end of September if the 1 win in 5 form continues.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:48 am

We are unbeaten.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 am

bellwhiff wrote:We are unbeaten.

and 13th. Unbeaten is vastly overrated.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:28 am

There are 9 teams what are not unbeaten who are all above us in the league .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby awalkinthepark » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:30 am

Sneag wrote:

and 13th. Unbeaten is vastly overrated.

And being top 7, top 3 or even 1st in August is also vastly overrated.
awalkinthepark
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:32 am

the pressure is starting to build, let’s see what he & his squad are made of
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 am

tmwilson wrote:Maybe because last season we had more or less a completely new squad . Thus season we've had a few new additions . Shouldn't be so hard to gel , even though the manager is playing players out of position

Thing is the players we have from last season and the new additions are all having to learn a new system.

A system that makes the football more attractive to watch.

Give it time.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:36 am

yorkshire stag wrote:the pressure is starting to build, let’s see what he & his squad are made of

Why is the pressure starting to build?

It's only due to a few on here who expect us to win every game.

We are unbeaten.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:50 am

Amber Andy wrote:
tmwilson wrote:Maybe because last season we had more or less a completely new squad . Thus season we've had a few new additions . Shouldn't be so hard to gel , even though the manager is playing players out of position

Thing is the players we have from last season and the new additions are all having to learn a new system.

A system that makes the football more attractive to watch.

Give it time.

I dont agree at all Andy . Players like Butcher , Hamilton , Mellis , Mcdonald even Benning and White should flourish in the way we play .
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:50 am

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:the pressure is starting to build, let’s see what he & his squad are made of

We are unbeaten.

Get with it mate, pressure is definitely starting to build.
If we don’t beat Carlisle it will start (prematurely IMO) but pressure is certainly building.

The unbeaten thing is clutching at straws.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:53 am

Amber Andy wrote:

We are unbeaten.

Who gives a dam about being unbeaten. Would you sooner have 4 wins and 1 defeat be sat top 3 on 12 points, or be unbeaten with 7 points from 5 games and sat mid table...

I don't expect a win every week. I expect a decent points return based on the quality and investment in our sqaud. We have unquestionably a top 7 budget... If we didn't then expectations would be much lower.

He has 5 games to start racking up some points, then the pressure will really be on and he won't be able to ignore the fans anger.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 am

Hypothetically draw the next 5 games we will still be unbeaten but sat on 12 points after 10 games.

At which point does the pressure start to build?

We need to start winning, Carlisle isn't a gimme either after winning 3 on the bounce.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am

The only pressure that’s building is on here from the likes of yourself and that makes it utterly irrelevant.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 am

Jamie wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We are unbeaten.

Who gives a dam about being unbeaten. Would you sooner have 4 wins and 1 defeat be sat top 3 on 12 points, or be unbeaten with 7 points from 5 games and sat mid table...

I don't expect a win every week. I expect a decent points return based on the quality and investment in our sqaud. We have unquestionably a top 7 budget... If we didn't then expectations would be much lower.

He has 5 games to start racking up some points, then the pressure will really be on and he won't be able to ignore the fans anger.

I give a damn about us being unbeaten. What a stupid comment.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 am

All those years ago before the internet was around we often had gates around the 10,000 mark, we all turned up and cheered the team on, can’t remember much booing of players. We got one or two promotions, but no one went into melt down if we drew a few games. We weren’t losing them. Get behind the team and manager, I’m sure things will come good. COYS.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 am

Hon Sec wrote:All those years ago before the internet was around we often had gates around the 10,000 mark, we all turned up and cheered the team on, can’t remember much booing of players. We got one or two promotions, but no one went into melt down if we drew a few games. We weren’t losing them. Get behind the team and manager, I’m sure things will come good. COYS.

But it was only 2 pts for a win in the 10,000 days so it was totally different :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:39 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Hon Sec wrote:All those years ago before the internet was around we often had gates around the 10,000 mark, we all turned up and cheered the team on, can’t remember much booing of players. We got one or two promotions, but no one went into melt down if we drew a few games. We weren’t losing them. Get behind the team and manager, I’m sure things will come good. COYS.

But it was only 2 pts for a win in the 10,000 days so it was totally different :lol:

Fair point, bet there wasn’t the consistent criticising of players or manager.The game was maybe talked about tha next day at work. The players and manager were left to get on with their job. Everyone turn up for the next game and supported the team. And we certainly didn’t have a couple of hundred managers like we have now
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:42 am

Sneag wrote:1 point short of a play off place wasn't it. 2 extra before the end of August is a good start. ;)

Look I'd have sacked DF in May, but JR didn't. This is a different season and what happened last year has to be viewed as largely irrelevant. Where it does have an impact is normally the natives (and JR) don't get restless until November if our form is indifferent, because of last years implosion I suspect the pitchforks and torches will be out by the end of September if the 1 win in 5 form continues.

So Stags fans don't usually get restless until November ...... I think not. As for pitchforks, they are already out with imbecilic calls already to change manager. Completely expected, still utterly ridiculous. Thankfully JR is not Hardy and will be patient, no matter how many hissy fits are played out on here.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:47 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:1 point short of a play off place wasn't it. 2 extra before the end of August is a good start. ;)

So Stags fans don't usually get restless until November ...... I think not. As for pitchforks, they are already out with imbecilic calls already to change manager. Completely expected, still utterly ridiculous. Thankfully JR is not Hardy and will be patient, no matter how many hissy fits are played out on here.

The muttering becomes a clamour in November & JR tends to pull the trigger at that point as Cox & Murray can testify.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:59 am

bellwhiff wrote:

The only pressure that’s building is on here from the likes of yourself and that makes it utterly irrelevant.

absolutely rubbish, should be more points in the bag, if people like you are happy knock yourself out, however other fans int
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 am

Pressure is building because there is no sign at all of DF learning lessons. How many times have we drawn after leading now in his time in charge? It is utter madness. Yesterday a large part of why we dropped points, in my opinion, is that our tactics got figured out at half time and DF has no clue at all how to adjust accordingly. It is like he plans before the game 'right on 80mins I will sub X' and he does it regardless of how the game is going. His record is impossible to defend, and whilst I am against sacking a manager so early, he is extremely lucky to still be in the job as any bloke off the street could have engineered a similar win record to his.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum