{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carolyn has a pop at the boardroom

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Carolyn has a pop at the boardroom

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:32 am

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Carolyn has a pop at the boardroom

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 am

I read this this morning. I have to say that while I agree with a fair bit of it, she’s to “blame” for some of the attention she gets as she plays up on the giggling girly angle when it suits her.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 am

Good for her.

I admire her courage for speaking out.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 am

Dinosaurs are the single most successful species in the history of the planet. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 am

Whilst I have some sympathy for this, unfortunately she can't have it both ways.

If she truly believes there should be no comments about her appearance, why does she go to such lengths and expense to accentuate her looks?.

Anyone who looks at her can immediately see that she has had cosmetic enhancements that she believes improves hers looks and uses them to her every advantage. Whilst accepting that is her absolute right she can hardly complain when people comment on it.

As they say though, any publicity is good publicity and once more Mrs Radford has pushed herself forward.

That said she has been very good for the club and long may it continue.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 am

So....

She needs to look more like Nora Batty?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 am

No not at all, I didn't say that. I said she can't use her assets and then complain when people comment about them.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:37 am

If we are talking about changing looks then why don’t we mention Johns teeth, Botox and general cosmetic surgery?

But let me get this straight; men are telling her she shouldn’t try and make her self feel better because other men can’t be normal humans and not be dicks?
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 am

I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with telling someone how good they look, assuming that it's done in the correct manner. She does use her looks as an asset and it works for her. She needs to look on it as an advantage in life, that's undoubtedly helped in getting her where she is - trust me, I speak as someone who has never had the privileges in the looks compartment :o
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:22 am

Carolyn is absolutely correct in that as a proven and successful business woman she should be treated with the respect that her business achievements warrant and not treated as some sort of unintelligent bimbo which she is categorically not. Just look at the fantastic job she has done for our club.

However lets broaden this out to comment on the fact that she says that professional mens football is dominated by men and why?

I for one am sick at tired at the disproportionate coverage given to womens football in particular and womens sport in general. If I want to watch it I will but dont try and market anything to me as something on a par or special because the point is its not. The standard in all 3 is akin to lower level mens non pro standards in all aspects. How can Sky give so much precedence to womens T20 cricket.....theres no one there.....when the "groundbreaking" Womens cricket world cup was on in 2017 they held the semi final at Derbyshire's County Ground...the semi final I point out.....and couldnt fill one of the smallest grounds in the country even with friends, family and multiple freebie tickets......how many womens football teams have folded because people dont go.....the same for rugby....why is everything on so late at night and BBC refuse to release viewing figures as they are commercially sensitive. Who has watched womens sport and lasted the whole game?

During last years 6 Nations Rugby and this summers World Cup both ITV and BBC trotted out so called eye candy panellists from the respective England Womens Teams. Fair enough if thats what gets ratings but where are their credentials at a comparitive level to warrant a place on those panels.....the reason you dont get male pundits from the Championship, League 1 and League 2 is that they havent played at the relevant level....everyone has the right to express an opinion but lets get it into perspective and panellists and pundits should be there based on their achievements at an appropriate level.

Womens sport is generally played at much lower level than the male counterparts but stop trying to sell it to the British Sporting public as something special or relevant when its not.

Carolyn Radford should be accorded the respect and courtesy to her as befits the amazing Chief Executive and Business Woman she is but mens professional football by its definition is completely different to womens sport and she should be judged on her ability as a business woman.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:37 am

The article was cherry picked from the Wake up to Money Business in Sport podcast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06hqnqh#play
There’s a short clip of our 6th goal against Accy at start and main segment with CR starts at 26:45 and a short segment at the end.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:40 am

If you read a bit of History, women’s football games in the early 1920’s had more folk attending than for men’s games.

This continued until the FA banned women’s games on grounds of member clubs.

I wonder why?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 am

I notice she only mentions it's dominated by old men, and not the fact that they are very rich old men. And that's an important omission on her part because people with that amount of wealth often have a tendency to be especially pompous and arrogant living the lifestyles that they do and having their minions fawn over them and plus getting their own way all the time.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:52 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with telling someone how good they look, assuming that it's done in the correct manner. She does use her looks as an asset and it works for her. She needs to look on it as an advantage in life, that's undoubtedly helped in getting her where she is - trust me, I speak as someone who has never had the privileges in the looks compartment :o

Oh I don't know Doomy. You didn't get where you are today without having a little je ne sais quoi ...
Pessimists are never disappointed.
Wilfred
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:52 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Whilst I have some sympathy for this, unfortunately she can't have it both ways.

If she truly believes there should be no comments about her appearance, why does she go to such lengths and expense to accentuate her looks?.

Anyone who looks at her can immediately see that she has had cosmetic enhancements that she believes improves hers looks and uses them to her every advantage. Whilst accepting that is her absolute right she can hardly complain when people comment on it.

As they say though, any publicity is good publicity and once more Mrs Radford has pushed herself forward.

That said she has been very good for the club and long may it continue.

What a load of crap. Since when do people have the right to comment on how someone looks to there face in what Is supposed to be a professional environment?

Is it ok to point out to a women that she's fat and ugly? Of course not... Wake up and smell the 21st century Sandy.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:53 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:Carolyn is absolutely correct in that as a proven and successful business woman she should be treated with the respect that her business achievements warrant and not treated as some sort of unintelligent bimbo which she is categorically not. Just look at the fantastic job she has done for our club.

However lets broaden this out to comment on the fact that she says that professional mens football is dominated by men and why?

I for one am sick at tired at the disproportionate coverage given to womens football in particular and womens sport in general. If I want to watch it I will but dont try and market anything to me as something on a par or special because the point is its not. The standard in all 3 is akin to lower level mens non pro standards in all aspects. How can Sky give so much precedence to womens T20 cricket.....theres no one there.....when the "groundbreaking" Womens cricket world cup was on in 2017 they held the semi final at Derbyshire's County Ground...the semi final I point out.....and couldnt fill one of the smallest grounds in the country even with friends, family and multiple freebie tickets......how many womens football teams have folded because people dont go.....the same for rugby....why is everything on so late at night and BBC refuse to release viewing figures as they are commercially sensitive. Who has watched womens sport and lasted the whole game?

During last years 6 Nations Rugby and this summers World Cup both ITV and BBC trotted out so called eye candy panellists from the respective England Womens Teams. Fair enough if thats what gets ratings but where are their credentials at a comparitive level to warrant a place on those panels.....the reason you dont get male pundits from the Championship, League 1 and League 2 is that they havent played at the relevant level....everyone has the right to express an opinion but lets get it into perspective and panellists and pundits should be there based on their achievements at an appropriate level.

Womens sport is generally played at much lower level than the male counterparts but stop trying to sell it to the British Sporting public as something special or relevant when its not.

Carolyn Radford should be accorded the respect and courtesy to her as befits the amazing Chief Executive and Business Woman she is but mens professional football by its definition is completely different to womens sport and she should be judged on her ability as a business woman.

You’ve widened the debate but I agree with what you’re saying. Female summarisers are being stuck into male sports games as a fop to political correctness. I’m sure this will raise the hackles of the Right On crowd but women’s sport is generally rubbish to watch. I don’t want to see people being put on TV as a box ticking exercise, be they women, of a different race or religion etc.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Let's not beat about the bush. She's only there because she's really pretty and incredibly wealthy in the first place.

I do like Carolyn but come on sweetcheeks you aren't a victim.

Everybody has to be a victim these days don't they? Except the only people who can't claim victimhood are white heterosexual men.

Feminism is another cancer on society.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Foxy wrote:Let's not beat about the bush. She's only there because she's really pretty and incredibly wealthy in the first place.

Everybody has to be a victim these days don't they? Except the only people who can't claim victimhood are white heterosexual men.

And there’s we have it. The aforementioned dinosaur.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:40 pm

You're going to argue she'd be there if she was bog standard average and skint?

No, thought not.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Foxy wrote:You're going to argue she'd be there if she was bog standard average and skint?

No, thought not.

No, of course not. Please don’t conflate the argument.

She is married to the owner. She is a capable manager (and trained lawyer BTW). If you owned the club, you might ALSO want to keep it in the family (and avoid a CEO wage bill at the same time). Yes - she’s image conscious and seems to have influenced her husband to “improve”his appearance. She cannot help being attractive (being gorgeous is a mixed blessing, I can affirm!)

It’s wrong for (mostly) men to dismiss her as an “air-head” or the owner’s trophy wife. In the context of MTFC, she should be judged on how well she does the CEO job - nothing else.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby convertmel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:54 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:So....

She needs to look more like Nora Batty?

On the obverse of that question:
Do you think she would occupy the position she does if she looked like Olive from "on the busses."
( I use her as an example because she was pretty in real life , away from the screen so I wasn't " picking on" ) an unsuspecting woman ;)
I liked the interview , thought she came over well
i'm with the 99%, how about you?
convertmel
First Team
First Team

Postby Foxy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:31 pm

As I said previously Edders she didn't criticise the people who offend her are all, to a man, absolutely stinking rich who are used to bullying, looking down on everyone else and getting their own way.

It's not just because they are male and old as implied.

But difficult in her position as also a super wealthy individual to point that out, isn't it? That's why the focus is on age and gender only.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Carolyn got the job because of her relationship with John. She has a big influence on the running of the club and it's progress. So she deserves our appreciation.

Personally she has a greater ambition to promote herself and females in the running of football. She's working hard to achieve her ambition and will make a significant contribution if she achieves it because she won't have got it on the old boys network. Good luck to her.

Interesting if her and John follow through on women in football when they appoint another woman to the board of MTFC.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Foxy wrote:Let's not beat about the bush. She's only there because she's really pretty and incredibly wealthy in the first place.

You sure about that, snowflake? You've been doing a pretty good job of it recently.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Please don't try and derail another thread with your race-baiting. It's incredibly dull. Save it for your UAF mates on Facebook, there's a good boy.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum