{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carolyn has a pop at the boardroom

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carolyn has a pop at the boardroom

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:29 am

PRL13 wrote:Typical of the mentality of some Stags fans. You tell the truth and get slated for it. It often makes me wonder if we deserve success!

We've been snorkelling in it for decades. I'm so drenched in following success that my six fingered hands have become webbed.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Spiritater wrote:
Foxy wrote:Let's not beat about the bush. She's only there because she's really pretty and incredibly wealthy in the first place.

I do like Carolyn but come on sweetcheeks you aren't a victim.

Everybody has to be a victim these days don't they? Except the only people who can't claim victimhood are white heterosexual men.

Feminism is another cancer on society.

I'm white and hetrosexual and get abused on a weekly basis.

What you get up to in your own time is your own affair 'tater.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 pm

PRL13 wrote:Typical of the mentality of some Stags fans. You tell the truth and get slated for it. It often makes me wonder if we deserve success!

What truth are you telling though PRL?
Saying she isn't the 'prettiest of girls' , that's not the truth, that's just your opinion, as Doomy said, one mans black is another mans white, and opinions on here are usually divided and entrenched. End of the day as has been said she is good for my football club, discussing her looks or whatever is pretty pointless for me.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:45 pm

PRL13 wrote:Carolyn isn`t the prettiest of girls, but she`s extremely presentable, smart and outgoing. She`s like a breath of fresh air. I`ve spoken to her on a couple of occasions and thought what a nice girl she is. Yes she is succesful and obviously works very hard to acieve what she has achieved.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I certainly agree with the positive comments you make about her.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Initially I thought she was a blonde airhead.But after meeting her and listening to her on several interviews I have chamged my mind.I now think she is a good ambassador and is switched on in dealing with players.She and John have MTFC in their thoughts and aspirations.She'll do for me.Where would we be without those two.In the raspberries for sure.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Just caught the back end of what seemed like quite a long discussion surrounding this on Talksport with Danny Kelly and Simon Jordan - might be a podcast at some point if anybody is interested
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:10 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Just caught the back end of what seemed like quite a long discussion surrounding this on Talksport with Danny Kelly and Simon Jordan - might be a podcast at some point if anybody is interested

Sam Matterface with Simon Jordan & Gordon Strachan

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:37 am

;) In her Fizzy pop Carabao Cup i hope :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 am

Having listened to that sound bite I don't think Mrs Radford's reputation has been enhanced with listeners of Talk Sport.

At least they said we were a club on the up under the stewardship of the Radford's.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:34 pm

I think that was a sensible discussion and Simon Jordan was bang on with his comments.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Mansfield has always been the poor unfashionable football relation in Notts and beyond but she has brought an element of fashion to it and a charisma together with JR that has long been lacking
Agree she should not posture and pose so much but she has done well and works, like JR very very hard and has raised the profile of the club to its highest level in history.

She and JR are able to fly in jets and helicopters and enjoy the better things in life than most locals in and round the town could ever dream of and for that there is a sort of green eyed monster ready to shoot her down but don't think she worries about that too much and long may she and JR reign over us till we get to the promised land of the Championship at least......even if for 1 season only!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Mansfield has always been the poor unfashionable football relation in Notts and beyond but she has brought an element of fashion to it and a charisma together with JR that has long been lacking
Agree she should not posture and pose so much but she has done well and works, like JR very very hard and has raised the profile of the club to its highest level in history.

She and JR are able to fly in jets and helicopters and enjoy the better things in life than most locals in and round the town could ever dream of and for that there is a sort of green eyed monster ready to shoot her down but don't think she worries about that too much and long may she and JR reign over us till we get to the promised land of the Championship at least......even if for 1 season only!!

That a bit cocky don't you think.
I think it should take us at least three seasons to get to the Premiership but if you think we can make it in one then good on you.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:18 am

ST4GS wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Mansfield has always been the poor unfashionable football relation in Notts and beyond but she has brought an element of fashion to it and a charisma together with JR that has long been lacking

That a bit cocky don't you think.
I think it should take us at least three seasons to get to the Premiership but if you think we can make it in one then good on you.

Would it be worth redeveloping the Bish if we got to the Prem?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:26 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Whilst I have some sympathy for this, unfortunately she can't have it both ways.

If she truly believes there should be no comments about her appearance, why does she go to such lengths and expense to accentuate her looks?.

Anyone who looks at her can immediately see that she has had cosmetic enhancements that she believes improves hers looks and uses them to her every advantage. Whilst accepting that is her absolute right she can hardly complain when people comment on it.

As they say though, any publicity is good publicity and once more Mrs Radford has pushed herself forward.

That said she has been very good for the club and long may it continue.

What a load of crap. Since when do people have the right to comment on how someone looks to there face in what Is supposed to be a professional environment?

Is it ok to point out to a women that she's fat and ugly? Of course not... Wake up and smell the 21st century Sandy.

Oh what a sad world when men can't give ladies a compliment without being accused of being sexist or predatory. There is no mention in the article that suggests these men are coming on to her or attempting to belittle her. It's like suggesting that any adult male who talks to children must be a paedophile.

Don't women ever comment on your appearance to you maybe saying they like your shirt or new haircut? Should we get on our high horse if they do?

These men are not discussing her appearance between themselves but paying the lady a compliment to her face. What's wrong with that? Haven't you ever commented on a mate who is all dressed up and looking smart?.

It used to be encouraged as a social skill but we are now bullied by the political correct who put their own interpretation on our words which usually bears no resemblance to the intention .

I don't think I need to come into the 21st century more like people should respect differences in generations and not look for insults that don't exist. As for professional environments, don't human beings attend them or are all 'professionals' humourless robots. Stop being so precious and you may actually get on with people.

The whole article is about how men don't respect her enough and only speak to John. Or did you conveniently choose to ignore that?

There is nothing wrong with complimenting someone, in the right situation. If it's a friend, family member or in a situation where that kind of personal comment is expected or appropriate then of course it's fine. Even a work colleague recognising you've made an effort is again fine. But would i expect to walk into a meeting with people who are pretty much strangers and expect a personal comment. Absolutely not.

I personally wouldn't be offended at all if a stranger complimented me. I'd be flattered as most people would. But the whole point of her piece is how men dominating football boardrooms are often disrespectful to her as a women. Whilst a compliment can just be someone being nice and of course doesn't instantly make you a predator, it can also be cringy when done wrong and is sometimes used to belittle someone and follows all the wrong stereo types.

If they complimented her or both of them, then did business with both in a professional manor then of course no one would care.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:50 am

Jamie wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Whilst I have some sympathy for this, unfortunately she can't have it both ways.

If she truly believes there should be no comments about her appearance, why does she go to such lengths and expense to accentuate her looks?.

Anyone who looks at her can immediately see that she has had cosmetic enhancements that she believes improves hers looks and uses them to her every advantage. Whilst accepting that is her absolute right she can hardly complain when people comment on it.

As they say though, any publicity is good publicity and once more Mrs Radford has pushed herself forward.

That said she has been very good for the club and long may it continue.

What a load of crap. Since when do people have the right to comment on how someone looks to there face in what Is supposed to be a professional environment?

Is it ok to point out to a women that she's fat and ugly? Of course not... Wake up and smell the 21st century Sandy.

Oh what a sad world when men can't give ladies a compliment without being accused of being sexist or predatory. There is no mention in the article that suggests these men are coming on to her or attempting to belittle her. It's like suggesting that any adult male who talks to children must be a paedophile.

Don't women ever comment on your appearance to you maybe saying they like your shirt or new haircut? Should we get on our high horse if they do?

These men are not discussing her appearance between themselves but paying the lady a compliment to her face. What's wrong with that? Haven't you ever commented on a mate who is all dressed up and looking smart?.

It used to be encouraged as a social skill but we are now bullied by the political correct who put their own interpretation on our words which usually bears no resemblance to the intention .

I don't think I need to come into the 21st century more like people should respect differences in generations and not look for insults that don't exist. As for professional environments, don't human beings attend them or are all 'professionals' humourless robots. Stop being so precious and you may actually get on with people.

The whole article is about how men don't respect her enough and only speak to John. Or did you conveniently choose to ignore that?

There is nothing wrong with complimenting someone, in the right situation. If it's a friend, family member or in a situation where that kind of personal comment is expected or appropriate then of course it's fine. Even a work colleague recognising you've made an effort is again fine. But would i expect to walk into a meeting with people who are pretty much strangers and expect a personal comment. Absolutely not.

I personally wouldn't be offended at all if a stranger complimented me. I'd be flattered as most people would. But the whole point of her piece is how men dominating football boardrooms are often disrespectful to her as a women. Whilst a compliment can just be someone being nice and of course doesn't instantly make you a predator, it can also be cringy when done wrong and is sometimes used to belittle someone and follows all the wrong stereo types.

If they complimented her or both of them, then did business with both in a professional manor then of course no one would care.

I agree with you Jamie. It's almost as if some of these men, don't think a female should be doing the job.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:02 am

Of course they speak to John. He's the chairman.

It's the natural order of the beast and has spawned such terms as 'I'll talk to the organ grinder not the monkey' or I'll speak to the engineer not the oil rag'.

They may not be the most polite terms but are the reality. Like it or not, there is a pecking order in life and we all have our place in it. A compliment is at least an acknowledgement that someone is there and the alternative is to probably ignore them all together.

Carolyn is attending as an employee and John is the boss (harsh but true). The fact that she is married to the boss is secondary and there is probably a tendency to treat her in the same manner as the other wives and employees. It's a natural process and her sex will have no or little impact on how she is treated.

You may say that John is just a figure head and I'm not sure that is true but when the queen and Theresa May attend a function together, who gets all the attention and respect? It makes no difference that Mrs May supposedly actually runs the country.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:36 am

I listened to the interview the other day, and it has to be said that the article misrepresented the context of what she said.

She clearly explains that she is regulsrly patronised by her peers as a result of her gender.

She also makes reference to the Forestieri incident as wider evidence that there is still discrimination across the game.

She came across very well.

On a personal level, i’m embarrassed by some of the subtle sexist attitudes on this thread. The CEO has done absolute wonders for our club.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:51 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Of course they speak to John. He's the chairman.

It's the natural order of the beast and has spawned such terms as 'I'll talk to the organ grinder not the monkey' or I'll speak to the engineer not the oil rag'.

They may not be the most polite terms but are the reality. Like it or not, there is a pecking order in life and we all have our place in it. A compliment is at least an acknowledgement that someone is there and the alternative is to probably ignore them all together.

Carolyn is attending as an employee and John is the boss (harsh but true). The fact that she is married to the boss is secondary and there is probably a tendency to treat her in the same manner as the other wives and employees. It's a natural process and her sex will have no or little impact on how she is treated.

You may say that John is just a figure head and I'm not sure that is true but when the queen and Theresa May attend a function together, who gets all the attention and respect? It makes no difference that Mrs May supposedly actually runs the country.

Except she isn’t the ‘monkey’ or the ‘oil rag’. She’s the CEO. She deals with contracts. She is just as much an organ grinder as Mr Radford.

You say her sex has nothing to do with her treatment but in the sentence before you say she’s treated the same as any other wife...
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks eggy, saved me some typing.

She is CEO and regardless of who holds what role. If she asks the question in a meeting you respond to her, not someone more senior...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm

That sounds like "upstairs downstairs" mentality, SPBS,and thankfully we've moved on from that.

If that's the sort of treatment CR is getting, she has every right to be upset.

When you see the Radfords at meetings, they come over as a partnership not a plumber and mate. Yes, JR will probably have the final word, but CR does not appear to be treated as subservient by JR.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Oh dear, this kind of attitude is why women will always find it hard to be accepted in the board room. She is the CEO and deserves respect on an equal footing with John, they are a great partnership.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

I agree with this however we don’t want the club used as a soap box for this, do we ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:50 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:I agree with this however we don’t want the club used as a soap box for this, do we ?
Probably not.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Except she is not John's equal (in the company structure) and wouldn't be considered so if she wasnt married to him..

All companies have a seniority structure and chairperson (not chairman) is higher than CEO. It makes no difference which sex they are they should be afforded the respect of seniority.

I have attended many meetings in my time and yes, you answer to a person asking the question, but there is always a seniority (not supremity) to proceedings. No-one should have an ego that expects more and I would suggest that it is the sexists amongst us that expect women to be given extra influence and special treatment.

In my world everyone is equal unless they give reason not to be and if someone isn't satisfied with that then they should earn the respect to make it different.

We should all learn how to sit in shadows occasionally, it doesn't do anyone any harm.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum