{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Super White Army Scorefred sponsored by Put them in a Spin

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Super White Army Scorefred sponsored by Put them in a Sp

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:44 am

At least we’re playing football like most fans have demanded over the years.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:24 am

Ollie Palmer scored two last night which I think puts him on four for the season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:38 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Ollie Palmer scored two last night which I think puts him on four for the season.

The second was a 99 min penalty.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 am

Funny how opinions are different from each side – talking to the Tranmere fan at work this morning and he said that he and his mates agreed that we’re the best team they’ve seen there for 4 or 5 years and that we’ll definitely be up there at the end of the season. Said they were happy with a point, and would have snatched our hands off for it at half time. But also happy with how they played too.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:57 am

I looked at the Tranmere forum too and they were generally complimentary about us, what a refreshing change to last year when the manager and his hoppo were the focus of most comments.
Well Done Dave Flitcroft for giving us back our respectability and making football the focus , I hope he succeeds for us and him
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jimstag » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:18 am

Would rather be disliked and take all the points, but for that rather than the manager’s character. I’m glad to see an away clean sheet but we still need improvement despite what Tranmere have to say about us. Need to be more ruthless, shutting games out (Colchester) or taking that chance (Tranmere) otherwise it’ll be another season of what could have been IF.
Promising signs though.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Jimstag wrote:Would rather be disliked and take all the points, but for that rather than the manager’s character. I’m glad to see an away clean sheet but we still need improvement despite what Tranmere have to say about us. Need to be more ruthless, shutting games out (Colchester) or taking that chance (Tranmere) otherwise it’ll be another season of what could have been IF.
Promising signs though.

Promising signs are all we should expect at this stage of the season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:34 pm

For me far too much goes down the left, if Benning is on his game that's fine but that wasn't the case last night, he received the ball out wide many times but didn't take his man on nor get a cross in, loads of credit to DF for taking him off and moving CJ to the left, looked so much more of a threat.

Notably our easier chance of the evening hasn't been mentioned, that's when Khan tried to score himself yet a two yard pass to an unmarked Walker standing on the penalty spot would have meant an easy, certain goal.

A very entertaining 0-0, Tranmere looked impressive and could easily have nicked a 1-0 win just as we could have done, a draw was a fair result all round, I guess they'll be looking at it as 2 points dropped being at home and all that.

Onto Macclesfield, Bobby should keep his place in goal, CJ should start at left wing back, Whitey at right WB and Preston to return into defence with Pearce & Sweeney.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Jimstag wrote:Would rather be disliked and take all the points, but for that rather than the manager’s character. I’m glad to see an away clean sheet but we still need improvement despite what Tranmere have to say about us. Need to be more ruthless, shutting games out (Colchester) or taking that chance (Tranmere) otherwise it’ll be another season of what could have been IF.
Promising signs though.

Agree Jim, i just find it a bit odd that expectations are so high so early in the season?

Nobody should tolerate complacency, but given that 1/3 of stags fans thought DF should go (higher % thought he was the reason for failure), then we seem to have disproportionately large expectations, given the fan's faith/belief is not so assured and unilateral. The sting of last season probably still cuts deeply, but perhaps this numbs our patience and piles the pressure on unnecessarily early? But for those doubting DF, it's ambrosia and nectar.
Last edited by MutinyOnTheCounty on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:26 pm

pemill wrote:For me far too much goes down the left, if Benning is on his game that's fine but that wasn't the case last night, he received the ball out wide many times but didn't take his man on nor get a cross in, loads of credit to DF for taking him off and moving CJ to the left, looked so much more of a threat.

Notably our easier chance of the evening hasn't been mentioned, that's when Khan tried to score himself yet a two yard pass to an unmarked Walker standing on the penalty spot would have meant an easy, certain goal.

A very entertaining 0-0, Tranmere looked impressive and could easily have nicked a 1-0 win just as we could have done, a draw was a fair result all round, I guess they'll be looking at it as 2 points dropped being at home and all that.

Onto Macclesfield, Bobby should keep his place in goal, CJ should start at left wing back, Whitey at right WB and Preston to return into defence with Pearce & Sweeney.

Totally agree with this, Mal Benning hasd 10 yards to himself every time he got the ball last night. For some reason he does not back himself to run past people so often looks for a ball into Davies feet or playing it backwards. CJ was a constant threat.

I like the idea of Hamilton Sweeney,Preston,Pearce,White but will DF be gutsy enough to leave Mal out?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:28 pm

lifestags wrote:
pemill wrote:For me far too much goes down the left, if Benning is on his game that's fine but that wasn't the case last night, he received the ball out wide many times but didn't take his man on nor get a cross in, loads of credit to DF for taking him off and moving CJ to the left, looked so much more of a threat.

Totally agree with this, Mal Benning hasd 10 yards to himself every time he got the ball last night. For some reason he does not back himself to run past people so often looks for a ball into Davies feet or playing it backwards. CJ was a constant threat.

I like the idea of Hamilton Sweeney,Preston,Pearce,White but will DF be gutsy enough to leave Mal out?

Mal was brilliant in the opening game and for most of the end of last season. He doesn't haven't to beat his man to be effective, and he is ten times more technically gifted than CJ. He's been poor the last two games but that doesn't mean he should be written off entirely. If don't see why Mal can't play on the right to be honest.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:31 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
lifestags wrote:

Mal was brilliant in the opening game and for most of the end of last season. He doesn't haven't to beat his man to be effective, and he is ten times more technically gifted than CJ. He's been poor the last two games but that doesn't mean he should be written off entirely. If don't see why Mal can't play on the right to be honest.

when he gets half a yard and gets his cross in early it is really effective as he has superb quality in that left foot, Its games like last night where the opposition are letting him have the ball just inside their half he struggles, Im not saying drop him due to bad form, more that CJ offers more going forward and is completely restricted on the right.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:34 pm

lifestags wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
lifestags wrote:

when he gets half a yard and gets his cross in early it is really effective as he has superb quality in that left foot, Its games like last night where the opposition are letting him have the ball just inside their half he struggles, Im not saying drop him due to bad form, more that CJ offers more going forward and is completely restricted on the right.

As soon as we concede a goal down that left hand side it will be 'CJ is not a left back, flip flop out'.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:56 pm

I agree with all you say, if Preston is fit, he comes back in and Benning has to work to win his place back. Same applies to Logan, makes a few too many errors, Bobby is given his chance and grabbed it with both gloves.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:33 pm

lifestags wrote:

Completely agree. He was the clear out for us last night and utterly failed to make the most of it.

CJ caused more issues in 15 mins than Mal did all night.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:38 pm

adamstag wrote:It was a very “meh” performance. Very reminiscent of the point and performance we put in under Paul cox in the 0-0 there the other season on a Tuesday night.

Surprised the midfield was so easily out manoeuvred given we were playing 5 there, no real link play between the midfield and forward line.

Defence was strong, bobby was commanding his box - walker had a quiet game, but tranmere had a competent defence with mcnulty in the backbone.

Good to be unbeaten but we should be winning at Macclesfield

At least you have,nt trotted out your theory about flitcrofts negativity costing us on here ,unlike on TFF ,let it go adam hes gonna do us proud this season ,i thought we done well created the clear cut scoring chances and didnt look like we were ever going to get beat
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:10 pm

The beauty of all this is at present we have our RWB at CB and our left winger at RWB. Yet we are unbeaten.

I still feel we are a CB/RWB short. You can do loan deals where a player is still available to the parent clubs reserves/u21 teams. If we can get such a loan in then we would be under no obligation to play him and would be suitable cover.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby edwinscott » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Thought we played some good stuff last night and switched play really well. This where it fell down as neither Benning or Hamilton (when on the right) took their man on in a 1 on 1. When it was swapped for Hamilton to go in the left then he started to go past his man and we looked a lot more dangerous.
But encouraging so far and this team will only get better, could do with 2 Bishops in the middle as he makes it look easy sign of a good player
edwinscott
First Team
First Team

Postby mjneave » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Totally agree about Bishop. As an 'exiled' stags fan it's the first time I've seen them play this season and it was really impressive how Bishop dominated the midfield breaking up play and linking attack and defence extremely effectively.
mjneave
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jimstag » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:11 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Promising signs though.

Agree Jim, i just find it a bit odd that expectations are so high so early in the season?

Nobody should tolerate complacency, but given that 1/3 of stags fans thought DF should go (higher % thought he was the reason for failure), then we seem to have disproportionately large expectations, given the fan's faith/belief is not so assured and unilateral. The sting of last season probably still cuts deeply, but perhaps this numbs our patience and piles the pressure on unnecessarily early? But for those doubting DF, it's ambrosia and nectar.

Yes, for me it's probably the disappointment from conceding late on Saturday and seemingly falling into last season's bad habits. Probably some of putting 6 past Accy as well. Either way it could be worse, we could be County!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:54 pm

mjneave wrote:Totally agree about Bishop. As an 'exiled' stags fan it's the first time I've seen them play this season and it was really impressive how Bishop dominated the midfield breaking up play and linking attack and defence extremely effectively.

Younay that. There’s some daft belmer on FB thinks he’s “diabolical”

:o
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum