{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:40 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 pm

detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:50 pm

my player ratings now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Waggy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 pm

I usually agree with your reports to a large extent Martin, but not this one. I thought it was a really good performance against a side that is very well organised and came with a plan to stop us playing. We were patient and managed to get in front with a super goal and should have won. We were let down by a shocking piece of goalkeeping and not for the first time. I know you have a scoring system that for some reason starts at 5, but I think its wholey unjust to give some of those players just one point higher than Logan. I don't think i've been so annoyed by one one individual player for a long time
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tibby » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:02 am

You sir, are barred
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:47 am

Waggy wrote:I usually agree with your reports to a large extent Martin, but not this one. I thought it was a really good performance against a side that is very well organised and came with a plan to stop us playing. We were patient and managed to get in front with a super goal and should have won. We were let down by a shocking piece of goalkeeping and not for the first time. I know you have a scoring system that for some reason starts at 5, but I think its wholey unjust to give some of those players just one point higher than Logan. I don't think i've been so annoyed by one one individual player for a long time

Must be very hard to write a report being a fan more than letting the reporter come out.
Other reports say how unlucky the stags were.
Every goal keeper gets slated for one mistake in 95 mins
I'm sure a lot more was generated before the equaliser.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:39 am

Have you stopped marking the ref Martin
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 am

Waggy wrote:I usually agree with your reports to a large extent Martin, but not this one. I thought it was a really good performance against a side that is very well organised and came with a plan to stop us playing. We were patient and managed to get in front with a super goal and should have won. We were let down by a shocking piece of goalkeeping and not for the first time. I know you have a scoring system that for some reason starts at 5, but I think its wholey unjust to give some of those players just one point higher than Logan. I don't think i've been so annoyed by one one individual player for a long time

I don't think it was a really good performance. I think it was pretty average. Our first shot on target was the goal on 82 minutes, and we only had one other, two minutes later. We also had hardly any off target. Yes full credit to Colchester for nullifying us, but it took a moment of magic from Davies to score the goal.

A reminder of the rating system. 4 is stinker. 5 is poor. 6 is average. 7 is good.

I suspected that someone would complain about my rating of Logan because they were annoyed with him. We're all frustrated. But he made one mistake, yes a bad one and yes very costly. A rating of 5 means poor. Had he made more than one mistake, then I would have given him a rating of 4. But it was just one mistake.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 am

Bros wrote:Have you stopped marking the ref Martin

no, I just ran out of time last night. I've added it now.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Waggy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 am

Goalkeepers are paid not to make mistakes. I don't buy into the idea that its ok because they are only human. Most of what they have to do is routine and dealing with a long throw into the 6 yard box is as routine as you can get. Logan has cost us 2 points at home against what could be a promotion rival. If 4 is a stinker, he deserves a 3

His whole command of the area is poor and I remember him patronising fans when he first arrived by suggesting they didn't know what they were talking about. Well we have now seen more that a few collapses in the last minute due to poor defending. In my opinion a lot of that is down to him not giving assurance to defenders by coming and dominating his area.

He isn't the only one guilty of sloppy play and if we are to be successful it has to stop. We seam to have to really work for our goals, with yesterday being a prime example. We can't then keep gifting the opposition goals without them working for them.

Time for Bobby O
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 am

Logan's command of the area was ok yesterday until that throw-in. A good punch away from a set piece earlier. I'm rating on his performance yesterday, not his overall capabilities.

I'm trying to rate objectively, rather than being angry. I didn't say anything about it being ok to make mistakes because he's only human. He made one mistake, so I drop him from 6 to 5. Had he made another mistake yesterday, I would have dropped him from 6 to 4.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:32 am

Waggy wrote:Goalkeepers are paid not to make mistakes. I don't buy into the idea that its ok because they are only human. Most of what they have to do is routine and dealing with a long throw into the 6 yard box is as routine as you can get. Logan has cost us 2 points at home against what could be a promotion rival. If 4 is a stinker, he deserves a 3

His whole command of the area is poor and I remember him patronising fans when he first arrived by suggesting they didn't know what they were talking about. Well we have now seen more that a few collapses in the last minute due to poor defending. In my opinion a lot of that is down to him not giving assurance to defenders by coming and dominating his area.

He isn't the only one guilty of sloppy play and if we are to be successful it has to stop. We seam to have to really work for our goals, with yesterday being a prime example. We can't then keep gifting the opposition goals without them working for them.

Time for Bobby O

So are strikers. When a striker misses from a yard out then scores later we forgive him, when a goalie makes a great save then a howler we want him hung drawn and quartered. That’s the life of a keeper. Unfortunately!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 am

Martin Shaw wrote:Logan's command of the area was ok yesterday until that throw-in. A good punch away from a set piece earlier. I'm rating on his performance yesterday, not his overall capabilities.

I'm trying to rate objectively, rather than being angry. I didn't say anything about it being ok to make mistakes because he's only human. He made one mistake, so I drop him from 6 to 5. Had he made another mistake yesterday, I would have dropped him from 6 to 4.

He had nothing to do! The save he made in the first half was making amends for not coming for the cross in the first place

I'll admit I'm angry about yesterday - very angry because up until 90+4.5 I was delighted. It was what I wanted to see us do - grind out a win against good opposition when things hadn't all gone our way. Its now been shown that we aren't capable of that with that clown between the sticks.

One mistake for a goalkeeper isn't the same as it is for other players. They are paid not to make mistakes as the results are catastrophic. They cost games, promotions, European Cup finals. To drop one performance point is missing the context - he had one job to do and didn't do it - Rubbish!
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Waggy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Waggy wrote:Goalkeepers are paid not to make mistakes. I don't buy into the idea that its ok because they are only human. Most of what they have to do is routine and dealing with a long throw into the 6 yard box is as routine as you can get. Logan has cost us 2 points at home against what could be a promotion rival. If 4 is a stinker, he deserves a 3

Time for Bobby O

So are strikers. When a striker misses from a yard out then scores later we forgive him, when a goalie makes a great save then a howler we want him hung drawn and quartered. That’s the life of a keeper. Unfortunately!!!

That's exactly the point. Keepers have to be consistent or they undermine the confidence of the defence. Lets not pretend this is a first offence either.

As for strikers - you do have a point. Mansfield are far too sloppy all over the field - that's why we didn't go up last year and from the start of this season so far we haven't learnt. It needs stamping on now or at the end we'll be looking back and saying if only ...Colchester etc..
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:12 am

Waggy wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Time for Bobby O

That's exactly the point. Keepers have to be consistent or they undermine the confidence of the defence. Lets not pretend this is a first offence either.

As for strikers - you do have a point. Mansfield are far too sloppy all over the field - that's why we didn't go up last year and from the start of this season so far we haven't learnt. It needs stamping on now or at the end we'll be looking back and saying if only ...Colchester etc..

I do get what your saying Waggy, but even I don’t think Bobby is a better keeper than Conrad. If we want better we need to splash the cash. I don’t like Conrad’s command of his area but don’t think he makes many mistakes in a full season. Most league 2 keepers are of the same skill level imho.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Logan's command of the area was ok yesterday until that throw-in. A good punch away from a set piece earlier. I'm rating on his performance yesterday, not his overall capabilities.

The question now Marty is,
Should we give Bobby a go at Tranny?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Spiritater wrote:

The question now Marty is,
Should we give Bobby a go at Tranny?

I wouldn't. I think Logan is a better keeper than Olejnik.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 pm

update to my report:

The Stags kept the ball for a very long spell on 9 minutes but without getting the ball anywhere near Colchester’s final third and eventually put it out for a throw-in. From the video, the Stags kept the ball for 1 minute 28 seconds without Colchester touching it.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 am

Time for Bobby O

None of us are paid not to make mistakes Waggy, doesn't mean it won't happen. I ordered 2k of board last month , wrong grade, wrong size, been doing this job for 12 years......what you might call a 'schoolboy error'. Had to explain it to my MD. He said, wait for it, .......we all make mistakes, it's how we put it right.
Cut the man a bit of slack, you can see how much cares when he plays, the saves he has made, Dennis at Chesterfield , last min at Coventry..and many more.
I wasn't at the game Sat, but surely a rating of a stinker would be a bit harsh?
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 am

The amount of times logan has made a "worldie" save you have to allow for errors. If a defender makes an error he has players around him who can cover. A keeper usually has nobody. We've seen before how devastating long throws can be. We got caught out by one. We aren't the first team to do so and we won't be the last.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:45 am

I don’t know if Bobby is better or not in comparison to Logan - he’s hardly played.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum