{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Conrad Logan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Conrad Logan

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Totally agree with the last comment by Sneag.

Previous posts seem to allude that we are being hard on Logan because of Saturday but its not the fast. How many of us were incredulous that he got the Player of the Season award from The Chad? All season and into this already he demonstrated an inability to command his six yard box let alone the immediate areas of his penalty area. Any time the opposition crossed or had a corner I (and seemingly many others) held our breaths as he was rooted to the goal line.

Id suggest that the defensive nervousness late in games last season were down to the fact that they didnt have confidence in him to deal with the long balls pumped forward nor his reading of the games.

And please dont get me started on his distribution !!!

Well done Bobby O. for last night - he did what he was supposed to do and kept a clean sheet and by all accounts played well.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:49 pm

yorkstag wrote:For me this is not about Conrad. It’s about competition - Conrad made a mistake and unfortunately for him we have another keeper who would get into most league two teams. Bobby deserves his chance and good luck to him

Well said, Bobby has been incredibly patient and deserves his chance. Competition is everything and keeps everyone on their toes!
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Said all last season that Logan had done nothing to justify being automatic number one. Should be competition between those two.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I find that hard to fathom.

Most fans thought CL had a good season. In fact some where saying he was the best keeper we've had since Marriott.

He did make a blunder, but the abuse he's had on here from some is unfair.

Colchester are a good team, last night's result is testimony to that.

Just imagine the reaction on here from some if CL or BO, for that matter, had let in six goals.

Colchester are a good side and 1-0 would have been a massive result but Logan dicked it up not Colchesters great play!!!!!!!!!

So the long throw was rubbish then?

If so, why didn't any of our defenders clear it.

Colchester are a good side.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Totally agree with the last comment by Sneag.

Previous posts seem to allude that we are being hard on Logan because of Saturday but its not the fast. How many of us were incredulous that he got the Player of the Season award from The Chad? All season and into this already he demonstrated an inability to command his six yard box let alone the immediate areas of his penalty area. Any time the opposition crossed or had a corner I (and seemingly many others) held our breaths as he was rooted to the goal line.

Id suggest that the defensive nervousness late in games last season were down to the fact that they didnt have confidence in him to deal with the long balls pumped forward nor his reading of the games.

I've nothing against BO getting a chance. I hope he does well.

Well done Bobby O. for last night - he did what he was supposed to do and kept a clean sheet and by all accounts played well.

So the fans who voted for him where totally wrong?

Fact is some Stags fans have to attach blame to someone, when things go wrong.

And I will get you started on his distribution. Pray tell me what is wrong with it?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Said all last season that Logan had done nothing to justify being automatic number one. Should be competition between those two.

Strange then that both the walk away manager and the current one, see him as number 1. And presumably the goalkeeping coach has input too.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Said all last season that Logan had done nothing to justify being automatic number one. Should be competition between those two.

Strange then that both the walk away manager and the current one, see him as number 1. And presumably the goalkeeping coach has input too.

What has that got to do with my opinion?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

What has that got to do with my opinion?

Nothing, except I don't agree with it and more importantly the managers and goalkeeping coach opinions will be more informed.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I find that hard to fathom.

Most fans thought CL had a good season. In fact some where saying he was the best keeper we've had since Marriott.

He did make a blunder, but the abuse he's had on here from some is unfair.

Colchester are a good team, last night's result is testimony to that.

Just imagine the reaction on here from some if CL or BO, for that matter, had let in six goals.

Colchester are a good side and 1-0 would have been a massive result but Logan dicked it up not Colchesters great play!!!!!!!!!

So the long throw was rubbish then?

If so, why didn't any of our defenders clear it.

Colchester are a good side.

Of course it was rubbish, it was straight into the GK hands, if he weren't flapping.

Flitters obviously thought so too or he would have played last night.

You could see the confidence in the defenders last night that owt over the top Bobby was ready to pounce, it made a huge difference in my opinion
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Not sure on your point Andy. It's fine that you disagree, and obviously the previous manager and the current one consider him number one. My whole point was that he shouldn't be considered automatic number one, there's not a significant enough gulf between the two.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:08 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Not sure on your point Andy. It's fine that you disagree, and obviously the previous manager and the current one consider him number one. My whole point was that he shouldn't be considered automatic number one, there's not a significant enough gulf between the two.
But that's the point. BO has never been tested as a number one keeper with us. The reason for that is that both managers regarded CL as number one. In fact BO was number two at his previous club Exeter.

I've no problem with BO having a run inthe team. But until he does he can't be regarded as the number one.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:11 pm

It's irrelevant if it's CL or BO who is a number one and which one is a number two (pun intended). The point is that Mr Logan has made a number of mistakes and does not command the six yard box. That has been consistent since he came to the club and I have never had any faith in his catching abilities.

I have consistently stated that I think we needed a different keeper to gain automatic promotion and that view has not changed. If the playoffs are the target then ok he will do but for automatic we need better. I haven't seen enough do Bobby to know if he is the man but I'm also sure that Conrad would be a capable back up for the odd game.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:37 pm

What summed it up for me last night watching on i follow was about 5 minutes in a ball went over the top and the striker was rushing on to it. Both me and my old man said 'here we go' but then all of a sudden, out of knowhere (partly down to iffy camera work admittedly) Bobby appeared on the edge of the box to mop up with no fuss.

We quickly came to realise that we were so used to Logan being slow off his line or hesitant that we were certain it was going to lead to a Tranmere chance at best - or more than likely a goal - because that is almost what we've become used to.

Hopefully Bobby can have a good run in the team and be more solid than Logan in these weaker areas of his game that we have highlighted.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 pm

Nothing against Logan, and I think there were numerous occasions last season where he pulled off great saves that kept us in games.
However, having watched the 2 appearances by Olejnik over the last week, I have seen him confidently come out for balls that Logan wouldn't have come for, and therefore reduced the pressure on us, but more importantly I have seen him looking for and making short passes and throws which have allowed us to retain possession and build from the back, rather than hitting everything long and hoping we win the header/flick on.
This seems to fit much better with the overall style of play that Flitcroft is trying to develop within the team and I would like to see Olejnik remaining in the starting line up over the coming games.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:00 am

Hopefuly the more games Bob plays the more his confidence'll rise... and the confidence in the defence'll with him there will rise too.
I feel Bob'll keep his place for Macc but DF'll give CL a run out in t'Cup to keep him happy.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am

I think that Bobby was very capable on Tuesday. He looked assured and confident. He has earned his chance to grab the first choice spot, despite me thinking that the dropping was a knee jerk reaction
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:49 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:Totally agree with the last comment by Sneag.

Each to their own bud, but i put it more down to the fact the players were blowing like a f****d steam engine! :P

As i recall, we had to sub certain players after 65 - 70 mins because they simply couldn't go the distance, and so for me we conceded late on because of tiredness and complacency crept in. That said, more than happy for Bobby to be given a chance and make CL up his game. I believe if CL could command his box and catch all those crosses then he'd be playing up in the Championship, as keepers at this level are either average at all things or have some fundamental aspect missing from their game. For anyone thinking CL could cost us promotion, i think last season's form begs to differ. Plus we gained promotion with Pilko, who was also not great with crosses or commanding his area as i recall.

Then again, i'm probably the ultimate optimist. I'm off to clap the fact the sun's appeared through the clouds and applaud the fact the leaves are still on the trees for another day ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:09 am

Bobby being much, much quicker off his line is a lot more assuring. I’ll be suprised if he does not manage to keep his starting place in league games.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:29 am

why is "command the six yard box" the only thing people on here judge a keeper by??

I had a chat with Eric Steele and mentioned this and he laughed and said its nonsense. He said the best you can hope for at this level is a solid shot stopper that doesn't make mistake after mistake. and if you have the perfect keeper who can handle anything they'll move faster than your club. Best thing is old keeper dropping down at the end of their career.

Id prefer bobby to have a chance, and think he's done well so far. But having two 30 something keepers isn't what I like... Id rather have a young up and coming lad with an older experienced keeper as number 1... David Forde was immense for Pompey when they went up and id love someone like him
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum