{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport scorefred sponsored by lets get this season started

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport scorefred sponsored by lets get this season star

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Flitcroft had a dream opening game to the season. Two of his signings scored, Davies nearly did whilst Preston and Bishop look a step up in class.from those they have replaced.
That said, at 3 up we got a little sloppy and it could have been 3-2 so plenty for him to use to remind the players about keeping their concentration for the full 90 minutes.
The p!ayers looked really fit and pressed well in hot conditions, we tried to play the ball, we had shots from midfield, Walker and Davies look as though they could form a decent partnership. Graham came on and learned what League 2 football is like and will presumably get more minutes so much to celebrate.

We have the luxury of Sweeney to add into the mix and hopefully, one of Rose and Angol will stay to fight for a place.

A lot to celebrate and still room for improvement which is all to the good
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Preston makes Bennett look average imo. Pearce and Preston will be a formidable partnership this season. Walker, Khan and Bishop look really good too, and I thought Davies did really well against some really rugged defending. Looks promising. COYS
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:45 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:Flitcroft had a dream opening game to the season. Two of his signings scored, Davies nearly did whilst Preston and Bishop look a step up in class.from those they have replaced.
That said, at 3 up we got a little sloppy and it could have been 3-2 so plenty for him to use to remind the players about keeping their concentration for the full 90 minutes.
The p!ayers looked really fit and pressed well in hot conditions, we tried to play the ball, we had shots from midfield, Walker and Davies look as though they could form a decent partnership. Graham came on and learned what League 2 football is like and will presumably get more minutes so much to celebrate.

We have the luxury of Sweeney to add into the mix and hopefully, one of Rose and Angol will stay to fight for a place.

A lot to celebrate and still room for improvement which is all to the good

Angol has gone (to Grimsby)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Preston makes Bennett look average imo. Pearce and Preston will be a formidable partnership this season. Walker, Khan and Bishop look really good too, and I thought Davies did really well against some really rugged defending. Looks promising. COYS

Preston is a no-nonsense defender, the complete opposite of Bennett.

Saying that, to say he makes him look average after one league game is bias at it's best :lol:
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 pm

5 shots on target, 3 goals. That's more like it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Thought Newport looked quite good at times and were pretty unlucky not to score with a few mistakes from white (who put that right with that goal line save). We looked very good too, looked like we finally had a style of play and it worked well. We played it short when we needed to and went direct into Davies when it was needed.

Mal was absolutely on fire today, in the first half he was almost unstoppable. Khan looks a real good player, let's hope he's not a 1 in 10 player because we need more of what he did today! CJ looked settled defensively and going forward and Preston looks like a huge upgrade on Bennett. Pleased for Walker to get a goal too, that'll do his confidence a world of good. Early days but we're looking promising!

On a side note I liked it when DF was appreciating the DF's barmy army' chant, hes probably very relieved after getting his first home win and boy did he deserve it.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Conker wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Preston makes Bennett look average imo. Pearce and Preston will be a formidable partnership this season. Walker, Khan and Bishop look really good too, and I thought Davies did really well against some really rugged defending. Looks promising. COYS

Preston is a no-nonsense defender, the complete opposite of Bennett.

Saying that, to say he makes him look average after one league game is bias at it's best :lol:

I like Bias Conker :lol:
I also prefer no nonsense defenders, who find row z if required and don’t dally like Bennett used to. You’re right Preston is in the George Foster mould. I saw Preston last season too and he was superb in the games against us.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:13 pm

CJ is like an attacking defender!!! They can’t get the ball out when he’s chasing them down. He will be our first £1M transfer imo
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Strange game really, wouldn’t say it was a 3-0. We were getting battered down our right hand side in the first half. Marsh Brown played really high and the players didn’t know which of them should be tracking their left back, a problem which was evident in pre-season. We got the goal and then grew into the game.

The wing issue was sorted at half time and we played some really nice stuff. Great pass by Bishop in the build up to the second goal, really good to see he can play as well as destroy. Benning was absolutely fantastic. Everyone played well once White woke up.

We look really exciting going forward but a little suspect down the flanks defensively. Hopefully by the time we play someone decent those teething problems will be sorted out.

Brilliant opening day.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:25 pm

My only worry from today was how this formation sort of nullified CJ attacking threat mostly? He only had one or two moments.

Maybe (hopefully) he will still get plenty of chances to run at people with the ball down that wing.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:40 pm

Sounded a decent performance and good to get off to a home win.

given the end of last season when we didn’t win anything under DF at home, it was highly encouraging to see that banished.

A little concerned about rose and Angol seemingly going and us having little as back up.

Promising start though
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby white5581 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:54 pm

There are 5 days for transfer market to close, if they both go I’m sure flitcroft has planned for it already.
white5581
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Great result, onwards and upwards with or without Angol and Rose!
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:21 pm

It was a very positive day all round.

A steady and solid start to the campaign: the defence looking resolute, the football neat, tidy and positive, and the forward play was clinical when it needed to be. Was also really impressed how the forwards pressed all the way til the 99th minute, putting in a right shift.

Every player looked very good. Mal Benning the pick for me. Though got to say, every one of Flip-flops New signings look an improvement on the team - there's no passengers with these boys. No squad fillers or signings for the sake of things.

1 down 45 to go. Excellent start MTFC!
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Just a little round up of elsewhere, though not many will care after today.

Ricky Miller and Joel Byrom both scored on their debuts. Johnny Hunt got sent off. Bennett and Taff started together at centre back for Posh. Oh, and County didn't win :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Where's this gap county were always on about last year?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:24 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:It was a very positive day all round.

A steady and solid start to the campaign: the defence looking resolute, the football neat, tidy and positive, and the forward play was clinical when it needed to be. Was also really impressed how the forwards pressed all the way til the 99th minute, putting in a right shift.

Every player looked very good. Mal Benning the pick for me. Though got to say, every one of Flip-flops New signings look an improvement on the team - there's no passengers with these boys. No squad fillers or signings for the sake of things.

In that case, Mr Flitcroft, not flip-flop, please Doomy :D
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:14 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Just a little round up of elsewhere, though not many will care after today.

Ricky Miller and Joel Byrom both scored on their debuts. Johnny Hunt got sent off. Bennett and Taff started together at centre back for Posh. Oh, and County didn't win :lol:

Matt Green and Ollie Palmer both scored winners as well.

Mitch Rose also scored a penalty.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Yorkie n Norm are quiet.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:23 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Don't you start too. It's a blooming nickname - one I started calling him on the day he signed. It's on this forum if anyone can be arsed to look.

I once had the nickname at work of alopecia. It was a nickname, no menace was intended by it and everyone got on with life. Folks need to chill their skin. As a bloke I like Flip-flop; as a manager he needs to win me round, but I'll certainly give him more time than the vast majority.

So Flip-flop is here to stay and I won't apologise for it. So there.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:08 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Don't you start too. It's a blooming nickname - one I started calling him on the day he signed. It's on this forum if anyone can be arsed to look.

I once had the nickname at work of alopecia. It was a nickname, no menace was intended by it and everyone got on with life. Folks need to chill their skin. As a bloke I like Flip-flop; as a manager he needs to win me round, but I'll certainly give him more time than the vast majority.

That's good because id you did that would make you a Flip-Flop apologist and someone would get really cross. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:29 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Er .... OK then :)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:49 am

:D very happy to get the monkey off our back :D
DF 1st league win at home .
Very good performance by the team.
Looking forward to next Saturday and lets keep the momentum going :D

Just like to say looking from Q block IGU to see Quarry lane end pretty full was pleasing
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:02 am

Difference is 'flip-flop' comes from one of his previous clubs and is meant to be derogatory. It's like Paul Cox going somewhere and his new club's fans calling him 'clueless' from the off. Silly.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:07 am

ParisStag wrote:Difference is 'flip-flop' comes from one of his previous clubs and is meant to be derogatory. It's like Paul Cox going somewhere and his new club's fans calling him 'clueless' from the off. Silly.

Exactly. It’s been widely used in a pejorative manner.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum