{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield bid rejected for Coventry's Rod McDonald

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Mansfield bid rejected for Coventry's Rod McDonald

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Mansfield bid rejected for Coventry's Rod McDonald

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:29 pm

that sites even worse than the Chad, watch this video to unlock the content!?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:34 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:that sites even worse than the Chad, watch this video to unlock the content!?

I got"answer this question" but had seen enough to get the jist
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Here you go:

"Coventry City have turned down two offers for wanted man Rod McDonald as manager Mark Robins looks to strengthen his back four ahead of the new season. The 26-year-old defender has been the subject of two bids from League Two Mansfield and Lincoln City during the pre-season and there is interest from other clubs keen to recruit the rugged centre-back before the summer transfer window closes on August 9.

Sky Blues boss Robins is keen to strengthen at the back with a new centre-half and has been chasing a number of targets this summer. And the sale of McDonald would pave the way for the City manager to bring in a fresh defender. That may come as a surprise to some fans given McDonald only joined the Ricoh Arena last summer, signing for an undisclosed fee from Northampton Town, and going on to be part of the meanest defence in League Two alongside Jordan Willis for the first half of the campaign.City kept ten clean sheets in all competitions with the popular defender, nicknamed 'Concrete Rod,' in the side in the first five months of the 2017/18 promotion season.

Robins , however, has shown this summer that he is not a manager to stand still. He's has already overhauled the left-back position by getting rid of Chris Stokes and Ryan Haynes - Stokes moving to Bury on a free and Haynes sold to Shrewsbury - and bringing in Junior Brown and Brandon Mason from Shrewsbury and Watford, respectively.He's also drafted in Dujon Sterling on loan from Chelsea to rival established right-back Jack Grimmer this season. Grimmer played the most games out of any Coventry player last term, making an impressive 53 appearances in his first season at the club, since joining from then Championship Fulham. Of all the positions in the team, centre-half appeared to be where Robins was most blessed after Dominic Hyam pushed himself to the fore last season, ending the campaign in possession of one of the two available shirts and being a key part of the play-off success with his excellent reading of the game. Tom Davies also earned rave reviews for his aggressive, no-nonsense 'kick it and head it' approach to defending, while Willis remains first choice when fit, due to his pace and athleticism.

McDonald, meanwhile, slipped down the pecking order in the second half of last season, partly down to form but largely due to Hyam and Davies taking their chances when they got the opportunity to impress as City enjoyed healthy competition for the two central defensive berths. That competition is set to go up a notch if Robins is successful in landing his preferred target to further mix things up at the back. City also have rookie centre-back Jordon Thompson waiting in the wings, the teenager having been given plenty of game time during the pre-season, including last weekend against West Bromwich Albion when he scored against the strong Championship side.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Apparently the bid was a couple of weeks ago so we may have moved on from McDonald.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:58 pm

He would be a great signing.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Dp1976 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:49 pm

Swap deal anyone ?
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Dp1976 wrote:Swap deal anyone ?

Yes for Diamond hopefully. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Can we assume if there is no announcement on a signing today then the player will not be involved on Saturday?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:04 pm

I'd give it till tomo.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:55 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 pm

shame, thought I saw him today when I went through the drive thru near odeon... must have been a different McDonald

How are Wimbledon a better club than us??
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Sedgwick wrote:shame, thought I saw him today when I went through the drive thru near odeon... must have been a different McDonald

Is that a serious question?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Sedgwick wrote:shame, thought I saw him today when I went through the drive thru near odeon... must have been a different McDonald

They're in League One.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:31 pm

James wrote:

Is that a serious question?

Yes, as in how have they done it from starting as nothing.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Dedication, honesty, hard work, luck, loyalty and terrific management.

AFC Wimbledon is a great story of overcoming the odds and getting a football club right. Bloody good luck to them.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:11 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Dedication, honesty, hard work, luck, loyalty and terrific management.

AFC Wimbledon is a great story of overcoming the odds and getting a football club right. Bloody good luck to them.

Not to mention a fantastic support that stayed with them and fought back.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:35 pm

Wimbledon are one of the few teams other than Stags that I genuinely want to see do well.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:23 pm

ParisStag wrote:Wimbledon are one of the few teams other than Stags that I genuinely want to see do well.

I don't, nor, I suspect would some Kingstonian fans (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/25/kingstonian-kingsmeadow-lost-stadium-chelsea-afc-wimbledon). It is quite a complex tale, which I have followed with interest, ultimately they have played a part in a club losing its own ground, which they then sold to Chelsea, I think Kingstonian (who are far from blameless in this sorry saga) now play at Leatherhead, not too far from RAF Headley Court.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Shame we missed him. I don't really like loans where we are expected to develop another clubs talent. Preference would be a perm signing.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Rob wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Wimbledon are one of the few teams other than Stags that I genuinely want to see do well.

I don't, nor, I suspect would some Kingstonian fans (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/25/kingstonian-kingsmeadow-lost-stadium-chelsea-afc-wimbledon). It is quite a complex tale, which I have followed with interest, ultimately they have played a part in a club losing its own ground, which they then sold to Chelsea, I think Kingstonian (who are far from blameless in this sorry saga) now play at Leatherhead, not too far from RAF Headley Court.

Me neither after the way they have dumped on Greyhound and Stock Car racing to return 'home'. Such hypocrisy that they are happy to screw others over to get what they want after milking the sympathy vote over the MK Dons saga.
Options were put forward to build a multi sports stadium but they decided to go it alone and fund it with additional housing adding to the concrete jungle in an area that is already susceptible to flooding due to no natural land drainage.
Personally, I hope they suffer severe financial difficulties and disappear back to the non-league because whilever they are in the league I cannot join the 92 club as they aren't having a penny of my money.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum