{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft, Preston, Logan press conferences

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft, Preston, Logan press conferences

Postby london amber stag » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:08 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
london amber stag wrote:Very disappointing if we sell Rose, he is our best striker at present, the new lads could take months to gel. Looks like both Rose and Angol are off to balance the books, we are still suffering from the Evans factor and his scattergun approach to signing expensive players that we now cannot shift. If they both go, we will not be promoted.

Promotion is difficult to achieve as we long suffering fans know, so that's not a very bold statement London

I genuinely felt that this season we had a good chance , selling your best striker surely affects your ability to compete at the top end of the table. Luton, Coventry, Wycombe and Accrington all had top drawer strikers last year. You do not sell two strikers three days before the season starts, it is bound to have an impact on the team.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:12 am

london amber stag wrote:Very disappointing if we sell Rose, he is our best striker at present, the new lads could take months to gel. Looks like both Rose and Angol are off to balance the books, we are still suffering from the Evans factor and his scattergun approach to signing expensive players that we now cannot shift. If they both go, we will not be promoted.

Exactly las.

But hopefully we won't sell both.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

I just dont get the timing? if both go and we don't sign a center half before Saturday, what a unsteady start to the season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby spstag » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:18 am

Couldn't Disagree more!
Rose isn't our best striker (may have been last year) but not this, after seeing Davies and now Walker looking good, emergence of Graham looks very promising,
We should sell and cash in,
I'm in the opposite mindset to these last few posts that if we sell these two and cash in and get another striker in, we will be better off on and off the pitch .
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:21 am

Selling either would leave us very short.
I do rate Omari but more as player in the Khan mould.

We currently have Walker (unproven but good potential) Davies (not a 20 goal man) then Rose who would have managed it if the Scot did not leave, and Angol who has not reached his potential but still has a good game to goal ratio then Graham.

Basically we are talking about selling our best two goalscorers.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:26 am

Conker wrote:Selling either would leave us very short.

We currently have Walker (unproven but good potential) Davies (not a 20 goal man) then Rose who would have managed it if the Scot did not leave, and Angol who has not reached his potential but still has a good game to goal ratio then Graham.

Or put another way, Walker and Davies are quite clearly the current first choice pairing, so we are talking about selling our two back-up strikers for potentially over half a million pounds ..........

I've said all along I think we must give our younger players a chance, that means the likes of Graham, who if he was 5th/6th choice would barely have got a look in, may now get more opportunities.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:34 am

Rob wrote:

Or put another way, Walker and Davies are quite clearly the current first choice pairing, so we are talking about selling our two back-up strikers for potentially over half a million pounds ..........

I've said all along I think we must give our younger players a chance, that means the likes of Graham, who if he was 5th/6th choice would barely have got a look in, may now get more opportunities.

How is this clear? Rose has been injured all pre-season?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:36 am

Rob wrote:

Who’s to say them two will stay the first choice though? The money point is a fair arguement but we need more than two players that are first team quality if we want to get promoted.

Finishing off games were a severe problem under Evans and selling either of these without a suitable replacement could lead to the same thing.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 am

Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:

Who’s to say them two will stay the first choice though? The money point is a fair arguement but we need more than two players that are first team quality if we want to get promoted.

Finishing off games were a severe problem under Evans and selling either of these without a suitable replacement could lead to the same thing.

Indeed, as I said earlier, I would keep Rose, I rate him highly, but all our players have a price, especially at this stage of the season as clubs in higher divisions get more desperate and are likely to spend silly money on players. I stand by wanting to give Graham and OSJ a crack and having them both as our two back up strikers is fine by me - ideally we would sign one more with the proceeds from Angol & Rose should we sell them both, but I won't be chucking myself in the Res if we don't.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:42 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Indeed, i mentioned on another thread I have seen rose on many occasions having one on ones with the fitness coach. He must have been in DF plans
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:43 am

Rob wrote:
lifestags wrote:Chad have put on fb that both Angol and Rose could be off?! Both?!

I guess it's also a matter of balancing the books, I don't think I would sell both, but can we afford to turn down several hundred thousand pounds for players with a year left in their contracts who can go for nothing next summer? I really rate OSJ and Graham so with those two as back up I still think we'd be OK, though if we do sell both it would not surprise me if we picked up another striker before the end of the transfer deadline.

I wouldn't want OSJ and Graham as backup strikers, has OSJ even scored a league goal? We need to keep at least rose if we want a good chance of promotion this year
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:45 am

Chander Lear wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:

Indeed, i mentioned on another thread I have seen rose on many occasions having one on ones with the fitness coach. He must have been in DF plans

Well in Walker I very much doubt given what we are paying him he would not have started the season and same for Davies, I am sure Danny was/is in DF's plans, but clearly whether we sell Danny or not, we will start with Davies and Walker on Saturday and it will/would be up to Danny to break into the side.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:48 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:
lifestags wrote:Chad have put on fb that both Angol and Rose could be off?! Both?!

I guess it's also a matter of balancing the books, I don't think I would sell both, but can we afford to turn down several hundred thousand pounds for players with a year left in their contracts who can go for nothing next summer? I really rate OSJ and Graham so with those two as back up I still think we'd be OK, though if we do sell both it would not surprise me if we picked up another striker before the end of the transfer deadline.

I wouldn't want OSJ and Graham as backup strikers, has OSJ even scored a league goal? We need to keep at least rose if we want a good chance of promotion this year

Quite hard to score a league goal when you don't play Bobby. I hope DF has more faith than you, I have been hugely impressed with both Graham and OSJ and would give them a chance.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:50 am

They look promising but OSJ isn't even a striker. Going into the season with Davies Walker and Graham would be bad imo. one injury to Davies and we're relying on two kids to score the majority of our goals
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:55 am

Rob wrote:
Conker wrote:
Rob wrote:

Indeed, as I said earlier, I would keep Rose, I rate him highly, but all our players have a price, especially at this stage of the season as clubs in higher divisions get more desperate and are likely to spend silly money on players. I stand by wanting to give Graham and OSJ a crack and having them both as our two back up strikers is fine by me - ideally we would sign one more with the proceeds from Angol & Rose should we sell them both, but I won't be chucking myself in the Res if we don't.

OSJ is more in the Otis Khan mould IMO, I do rate him I’m not sure he’s full on striker.

Personally you could justify selling Angol if we can recoup our transfer record fee for him, and Rose if it’s daft money and we get in a replacement.

Regarding Graham, I think he will get a chance in the cup games etc but it’s very risky to rely on him considering our ambitions this season (promotion)
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:02 pm

To lose one striker may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:04 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:They look promising but OSJ isn't even a striker. Going into the season with Davies Walker and Graham would be bad imo. one injury to Davies and we're relying on two kids to score the majority of our goals

I think OSJ would be excellent alongside either Davies or Walker. I suspect you wouldn't have played Disley, Lawrence and Williamson in the same team in 2001 either. You never know until you give them the chance and anyone who has failed to be impressed by Graham pre-season just hasn't been facing the pitch whilst the game was going on!

That said, I would be surprised if we sold both and didn't bring in a new striker.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:24 pm

Omari could be our under the radar find of the season. He looked good in the friendlies.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Omari could be our under the radar find of the season. He looked good in the friendlies.

As a Attacking midfielder. Not a striker unfortunately.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:35 pm

lifestags wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Omari could be our under the radar find of the season. He looked good in the friendlies.

As a Attacking midfielder. Not a striker unfortunately.

On what basis? He has looked very good when playing alongside another striker. I'd play him and Graham up front in the Malibu Cup.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:40 pm

when has he looked good upfront? I cant remember one good performance from him in that position. He has come back a lot better this pre season but as stated he has only played Attacking mid or right wing back.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:45 pm

If the price is met sell them both.
Bring in a defender and forward and we are perfectly set for promotion...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:47 pm

OSJ is a very good finisher. He wasn’t fully ready last year. He is now. Cash in on Angol and Rose, and get another decent striker in on half those salaries. I really do like Rose but he isn’t an out and out goalscorer, and he might have been our top scorer but that’s not saying much given how bad everybody else was. We need more goals from midfield. If the midfield could chip in, we will be fine. Lastly we need another defender so again this all helps. Goodbye R&A and thanks for your efforts!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:52 pm

lifestags wrote:when has he looked good upfront? I cant remember one good performance from him in that position. He has come back a lot better this pre season but as stated he has only played Attacking mid or right wing back.

I guess that is because you only watch 1st team football lifestags.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Shots fired....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum