{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What the Deuce???

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: What the Deuce???

Postby Sneag » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:41 pm

I thought he was okay today.

I think he should played up the Amercanisms for laughs, especially if he was doing it as a one off. Mansfield Stags go head to head with the Rotherham Millers.

Alan is Alan, a bit like a pair of comfy slippers. Maybe time to thank him for his service and get new pair.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sutton Amber » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Thought it was Kevin Bacon fresh from finishing an EE advert !
Sutton Amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby JimmyMac » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:49 pm

He was good today, keep him :coys:
JimmyMac
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:20 am

For me, Alan's voice is one of those match day things that I associate with my lifetime of supporting Stags and it takes me back in time. Whatever anyone thinks about the level of professionalism (which I don't personally care about anyway), his voice is a reassuring reminder of where we are - just like the North Stand clock, the Radio Nottingham sports jingle or that bloke with the husky voice in the IGU.

I say keep Alan!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:36 am

Alan provides comedy, though not always intentionally. Best highlighted last week against Sheff Utd. Something along the lines of 'substitution for sheffield united, the four players going off are replaced by the four players coming on'. Classic.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:57 am

The new GUY totally ruined the experience! What the hell? Haven`t we got anyone local?
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:59 am

PRL13 wrote:The new GUY totally ruined the experience! What the hell? Haven`t we got anyone local?
Mr Zero ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:13 am

PRL13 wrote:The new GUY totally ruined the experience! What the hell? Haven`t we got anyone local?

Bit racist. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 am

Stoney wrote:I don't rate Alan as an announcer but I'd rather have him than the bloke who was doing it today. Cringeworthy, so embarrassing.

To me, Alan is the voice of Field Mill.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:19 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Mr Zero ?

Wasn't he a geordie? What absolute nutter he was!
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:41 am

I like the debate it’s caused hearing a different accent in Mansfield! A bit of an extreme change to be fair but I liked how different it was.

That said Alan’s done great service for the club over the years, cant argue with someone who puts all that effort in as a volunteer. Clearly a true fan.

I don’t think he’s the worst in the league, one of the few that adds personality but I guess that’s what divides opinion. For instance I do think Mansfield Matter missed out on Friday by not announcing Rrrrrrrrrrritchie Barker!
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:16 pm

Favourite moment from Alan is when reading the half time scores and gives you the Stags half time. One of these days he’s gonna get it wrong. Can’t wait for the reaction in IGU But I suppose he’s become ‘part of the furniture ‘
Last edited by yellowstagsfan on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:22 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Stoney wrote:I don't rate Alan as an announcer but I'd rather have him than the bloke who was doing it today. Cringeworthy, so embarrassing.

To me, Alan is the voice of Field Mill.

Same here, he is one of us.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:24 pm

HU7stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Mr Zero ?

Wasn't he a geordie? What absolute nutter he was!

He used to ponce around the pitch with his radio mike at half time “addressing” the various parts of the ground. “Let’s hear it from the North Stand” etc.

I remember we used to have a small shelter in front of the Bishop Street terrace (where our big useless scoreboard is now) for wheelchair users.

On more than one occasion, he addressed the occupants of this shelter as “the shiny people”

After he was dumped by the club, he went on to work for the Saltergate lot. Say no more.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum