{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Think were buying into ,flitcroft

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Think were buying into ,flitcroft

Postby stags4eva » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Conker wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I think DF's main issues at the moment might be having sufficient cover at centre half and centre forward. This could cost us in the long run.

My main concern too - Not helped by the 3 CBs either.

Mirfin not back till Christmas I think, unsure on Diamond?

Think we're in trouble of Benning or Hamilton get injured / suspended as well.

Not entirely DF's fault though was always going to hard to get rid of all the deadwood with their inflated wages.
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby halifaxstag » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:40 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
kcassellsfootygenius wrote:Back to buying into DF I'm far too long in the tooth to get carried away but can anyone remember 2 better home games to start a season? The away result wasn't ideal but a point is a point. It is now massively clear he was never comfortable with our squad or team last season and while it could be argued he should be able to adapt better it is clear he is now building his team.

The new formation is still taking some adjusting to but some of the football has just been stunning for our level. Last night Accrington made changes from the league but so did we and make no mistake we absolutely destroyed last years league champions.

The parts I can't figure out are that Bury and Swindon fans despise him and see him as a hoofball merchant who massively over trains his players and causes injuries. For my part I see no trace of hoofball and MacDonald, CJ, Butcher and OSJ are light years ahead of last season in terms of fitness. CJ's work rate last night was astronomical. The bad parts may show when things are not going as well and that remains to be seen but it may just be he wasn't backed to get his men at previous clubs or players didn't buy into it as much I really don't know.

What I do know is this team are night and day compared to the one which finished last season and while it is hugely early to predict how the season will unfold it is a fantastic start and long may it continue.

Good summation of how a lot of fans see it.

I can only imagine the DF hoofball is either:
when things go wrong / last resort to steady the ship,
his way of wanting to leave by making the football ugly,
bitter and twisted fans,
him genuinely losing his way somehow

Ultimately a manager is always on a loser and eventually walk one day. Aside from a handful of managers who retire on a high they invariably lose the plot at some point, and the day will no doubt come when we pat DF on the back and thank him for his service. Right now none of his alleged misdemeanours seem to have come home to roost though

There were times on Saturday when it looked a bit like hoofball. This was mainly when we were under pressure in the second half and seemed to want to get rid of it quick. It also seems part of our game plan that we vary the play and sometimes just aim for Davies which didn’t work against Sowunmi. The other part of this was to get it quickly to the corners for our wingbacks to run onto. This changed when we managed to get a bit of time on the ball which was when we managed to get those late chances. We won’t be able to play stunning football all the time in this league but I’m sure this is the main aim.
Last edited by halifaxstag on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 pm

The difference between the great home games this season and the game at Yeovil was the quality of the Field Mill surface.

At home with this quality of surface I don’t think anyone can match us in this division, however at away grounds our passing game is not as effective and that’s why we went a bit long on Saturday.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby london amber stag » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:46 am

The weather on Saturday was appalling and you cannot play entertaining football on a wet surface and the Yeovil defenders stood up well to our forwards.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Let’s just win home games & draw away = promotion
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 pm

We play Newport County away in February, can't see us playing slick football then!
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:06 am

gazza1988 wrote:We play Newport County away in February, can't see us playing slick football then!

Why?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:10 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:We play Newport County away in February, can't see us playing slick football then!

Why?

Rodney parade is well known to be in a very poor state around Christmas. Bobbly and patchy. Not conductive to slick passing football.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:59 am

That’s a consequence of the Dragons playing on there.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:05 am

gazza1988 wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:

Why?

Rodney parade is well known to be in a very poor state around Christmas. Bobbly and patchy. Not conductive to slick passing football.

Yes that’s true although, like the Stags, they have spent considerably on laying a new hi-spec pitch last season.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 pm

CalderwoodsLeftFoot wrote:Flitcroft brought in Preston a quality centre back, but we need promotion
and drawing against a team like Yeovil who will be in the bottom 5 won’t get us there!
To be given a massive budget and not get promoted would be extremely worrying!

Maybe a bit premature with your "bottom 5 team" opinion?
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PRL13 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:52 pm

I think that Flitcroft raspberried up at the end of last season, by not making the playoffs, but I don`t think we would have got promoted. I`m excited with what I`ve seen this season. Hopefully Champions, or failing that, promotion.
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:55 pm

DF still has a way to go in proving his expertise is enough for promotion, but its been good so far.

I definitely prefer his understated approach to winning fans over and letting the football speak for itself. Evans was total pomp and hype - he went for showmanship. No one could deny he was the biggest ringmaster ever! :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:59 pm

BIGGEST! By far.
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:43 am

I think our point at Yeovil was a really good one after their performance tonight & against Villa on Tuesday night.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:20 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:DF still has a way to go in proving his expertise is enough for promotion, but its been good so far.

I definitely prefer his understated approach to winning fans over and letting the football speak for itself. Evans was total pomp and hype - he went for showmanship. No one could deny he was the biggest ringmaster ever! :P

He’s already achieved promotion!!! He’s proved it before for me and hopefully will do it for us too.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:DF still has a way to go in proving his expertise is enough for promotion, but its been good so far.

He’s already achieved promotion!!! He’s proved it before for me and hopefully will do it for us too.

I meant in proving he can get US promoted bud ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum