{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Starting strikers

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Starting strikers

Postby Starstag » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:37 am

So just over a week to go was wondering what people's thoughts are on preferred starting strikers?
I don't remember when we had this many strikers without it being an obvious nailed on start.
From what I've seen,
Craig Davies: reminds me of a stronger, fitter Hemmings who can win balls, hold up play, and will be a handful for defenders.

Tyler walker: had a slow start to preseason but much improved against Wednesday. It's obvious his talent is a cut above everybody else. He has pace to burn, wins balls, great runs, just needs to find his shooting boots!

Danny Rose: fans favourite, has a proven record, wins everything in the air, always gives 100%. Will he be match fit by next week?

Lee Angol: came with big expectations last season but didn't seem to come off, whether that was down to SE tactics ? You can see the potential in him and in spells looks brilliant. Thought he looked good against Derby.

Jordon Graham: This kid has bags of potential and with the right guidance and management we could make a small fortune on him. Seems to be the full package. The lad seems fearless and you wouldn't know he's only just left the youth ranks.

I personally think he'll probably start with Walker and Davies although any 5 of the above could quite easily start.

Thoughts?
Lets see a little mansfield magic.
Starstag
First Team
First Team

Re: Starting strikers

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Good question Not sure who will start
Rose will be too early me thinks

Walker and Davies to start with Angol coming on at some point would be the thinking from me first game.

the young lad wont start yet I don't think but if injuries come he may get his chance.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 pm

It’s going to be Davies and Walker even if Rose didn’t miss any pre-season IMO. Rose will have to (and he will) work his way back in to the eleven.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:08 pm

It's a nice position to be in, I suspect due to Rose not being fully fit it will be Walker and Davies, with Rose and Angol on the bench (not sure if there will be space for Graham who I am sure will get his chance in other competitions). It's then up to Rose and Angol to force their way into the side. Whatever he decides, our front line is considerably stronger than it was under Evans!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:52 pm

I don't think we'll generally see 2 strikers. A target man of Davies or Rose, and CJ and Khan, or Walker if CJ is needed elsewhere in behind. It's the only way to get Mecca and Mellis in the middle if Bishop is first choice centre mid.
Dave
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby withnail » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:08 pm

I think Walker and Davies will be first choice. Angol has impressed me in preseason, so I can see him forcing his way into the reckoning. It's going to be tough for Rose unless the other strikers fail to deliver. I'd also like to see the impressive Jordan Graham given a chance, especially if we're winning comfortably or looking to inject some energy into the game, perhaps give him 10 mins before ft initially.
withnail
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:48 pm

Agree Graham should get that last 10 to 15 min chance!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Would start with walker and Davies...

Definitely bring on graham if were hammering Newport
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Newarkstag » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:44 pm

My starting 11 would be :
Logan
Pearce preston new cb
White macca bishop benning
Khan
Davies walker
Bring on mellis rose and either angol,Graham,or Hamilton
Newarkstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:53 pm

I would go with Davies and Walker.

That creates a problem though as it would probably mean that one of Bishop, Khan, Mellis, or Macdonald would have to come out of the side which would be a shame for me. Probably most likely to be Mellis but he’s been good this pre-season and I think Flitcroft rates him. In my opinion he is the main man to play a killer pass as he has shown against Derby and Sheffield Wednesday.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby die hirsche » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:45 pm

It will be Walker and Davies.
And I'd agree.
Thankfully young drac will now be 4th, even 5th choice striker.
I'd drop Macdonald as well. I think problems have come from trying to shoehorn him into the side.
He's a decent player but I'm still unsure of where he's most effective, and for me there is a better player in the squad for all of the positions he could play in a Flitcroft 3-5-2.
i would prefer not to.
die hirsche
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Start cautious IMO.

Just Davies up top to start with kahn behind.

Midfield 3 of macca bishop and mellis.

Sacrifice one of the midfield 3 for walker or Angol 70 odd mins in and go for it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:30 pm

My starting 11 after what I have seen so far

......................Logan...............

............White.........Preston.........Pearce

..........Macca.......Bishop.......Mellis.......CJ

...........................Khan. ..............

.................Davis..............Walker.........

Subs
Bobby,
Benning
Digby
SJ
Atkinson
Rose
Angol
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Logan
White Preston Pearce
Hamilton MacDonald Mellis Benning
Khan
Davies Walker
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Logan
White Preston Pearce
Macca Bish Mellis Benning
Hamilton Davis Khan
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:49 pm

ParisStag wrote:Logan
White Preston Pearce
Hamilton Davis Khan

Might be spot on here.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:01 pm

There's no way Walker won't be starting IMO. I would've thought it would be a pre-requisite of the loan.

It's between Davies and Mellis for the last starting spot IMO.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 am

My team would be:

Logan
White Preston Pearce
Hamilton Bishop Mellis Benning
Khan
Walker Davies.

Macca unfortunate to miss out but Mellis offers more creativity and i have been so impressed with Bishop, goes round putting ''out fires''. Hope his work does not go unnoticed on here this season.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm

lifestags wrote:My team would be:

Logan
White Preston Pearce
Hamilton Bishop Mellis Benning
Khan
Walker Davies.

Macca unfortunate to miss out but Mellis offers more creativity and i have been so impressed with Bishop, goes round putting ''out fires''. Hope his work does not go unnoticed on here this season.

I completely agree with this, Macca/Mellis could go either way. It's very attacking minded and should provide exciting football to be fair, I just hope the manager and players can pull this system off.

Going with this formation we are definitely overloaded in midfield and light in defense, hopefully we unload one of the transfer listed and bring in another centre back.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:15 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There's no way Walker won't be starting IMO. I would've thought it would be a pre-requisite of the loan.

Walker has to fight to earn his place, if it’s written in a Loan agreement, which I very much doubt, it would be a silly decision.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:19 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:There's no way Walker won't be starting IMO. I would've thought it would be a pre-requisite of the loan.

Walker has to fight to earn his place, if it’s written in a Loan agreement, which I very much doubt, it would be a silly decision.

I've heard ex-managers say before that parent clubs sometimes have written into the deal, if he plays you only have to pay x% of his wages, but if he doesn't play you have to pay full wages.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:40 pm

You all seem to be writing off Danny Rose.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:47 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:You all seem to be writing off Danny Rose.

yep, not a words been said about the lad all pre season despite being our biggest goalscorer last season. Hopefully he can get 20 this season, I'd start Rose with Davies personally. Would like to develop our own players first but walker will be a great impact sub and I'm sure he will start a few games too
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stags4eva » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:30 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
White Preston Pearce
Hamilton Davis Khan

Might be spot on here.

I like this, for me Macca has never been a centre midfielder and don't get why he keeps getting shoe-horned in there. Surely his attributes (engine, pace, tenacity, skill, crossing) would be better suited to the right wing back role it appears we need to fill?

Oh and he loves to take a throw in so we wouldn't lose a centre mid every time he decides to take one!
stags4eva
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:46 pm

stags4eva wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
White Preston Pearce
Hamilton Davis Khan

Might be spot on here.

I like this, for me Macca has never been a centre midfielder and don't get why he keeps getting shoe-horned in there. Surely his attributes (engine, pace, tenacity, skill, crossing) would be better suited to the right wing back role it appears we need to fill?

Oh and he loves to take a throw in so we wouldn't lose a centre mid every time he decides to take one!

Putting macca at RWB is shoehorning. In a midfield three of mellis bishop and macca you have it all covered. That is such a strong midfield for L2.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum