{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

What are we expacting then...

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

What are we expacting then...

Postby TBS » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 pm

It's about time we were all having a think about how we think our club will fare in the upcoming season, I know I have in the past few days.

Yes, there'll be signings to come no doubt & things will start to take shape, but what do you all reckon? I have to say that i'm not sure, but I don't see why, with some consistency & a few less draws, the play-offs are achievable.

Also with most teams (I guess) back in training this week, who do you think the front runners & strugglers will be? MK Dons under Paul Tisdale I think will be strong (Unfortunately) & Lincoln & Colchester too. Tranmere might push on, & Maybe Crawley & Stevenage could be dark horses?

As for the bottom... I really don't know apart from Morecambe. Probably!
Don`t be fooled by imitation
This is the stuff that cured a nation...
TBS
First Team
First Team

Re: What are we expacting then...

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Season after season, team spirit and organisation prove to be more important factors than quality on paper.

We have no idea how good we are in those departments and so it's impossible to predict. The squad quality will only take us so far, but it should be a top-half squad. Where in the top half will depend on how much of a 'team' they are.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 pm

No idea until we've assembled a complete squad, which we haven't right now.

Regarding the manager, i'd be alarmed if he's as bad this season as he was last, as we'll be in some serious raspberries if we are.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:50 pm

adamstag wrote:No idea until we've assembled a complete squad, which we haven't right now.

Regarding the manager, i'd be alarmed if he's as bad this season as he was last, as we'll be in some serious raspberries if we are.

He obviously won't be.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:06 pm

ParisStag wrote:
adamstag wrote:No idea until we've assembled a complete squad, which we haven't right now.

He obviously won't be.

Why?

On what evidence are you basing that assumption or is it just hope?
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:

He obviously won't be.

Why?

On what evidence are you basing that assumption or is it just hope?

It’s obviously hope.

I have the same hope.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I think we will be 3rd or 4th, just a hunch. I think our starting 11 will be stronger than last season, the only worry is possibly squad depth. I would take top 7 now though. Anything lower would be a big disappointment imo.
Do we feel league 2 will be stronger or weaker this year?
I feel it’s slightly stronger!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:48 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:I think we will be 3rd or 4th, just a hunch. I think our starting 11 will be stronger than last season, the only worry is possibly squad depth. I would take top 7 now though. Anything lower would be a big disappointment imo.

A lot weaker for me.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm

If the quality we are bringing is like Giles Coke, bottom four. More like a drop slide than a rollercoaster !!
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:21 pm

It doesn't matter who we sign or don't sign, its how the team perform and getting those results in. We've seen cheap sides win this league, it can be done...

The bad news for Flitcroft is he needs to hit the ground running this year. We need wins quickly and for some confidence to build.. If we make a poor start everyone will be straight on his back, and rightly so. He's used all his excuses, this will be his team, trained by him. He has to deliver now.

That said, i think realistically the play-offs would be a great season for us given the competition in the league and that our budget will now be more like mid table again.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:39 pm

It's a difficult one to predict and could go either way.

I am encouraged that players like CJ, Mel Benning and Christian Pearce will continue to develop and improve and Mr Stirling James could have a very productive season.

On the other hand I feel the two keepers are past their best and maybe aren't up to promotion standard. I feel we will get a few distquingished victories but fear a few poor results as well.

Overall I am not optimistic but conceed the last time I felt like this was the season we went up to league 1. I hope I am once again proved wrong but think mid table awaits .
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm

Way too difficult to say at the moment, they all have a lot of work to do first. Obviously there’s plenty to do to get the squad to the correct shape, we probably need 4/5 good players in to have a chance of our promotion ambition in my opinion and then it’s about the team gelling as many have pointed out.

I like that it looks to be a smaller squad with some youth involvement. Get a couple of good signings and I’d say play offs, at the moment it feels more mid-table but we haven’t seen them kick a ball yet this year.
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:43 pm

Apparently the bookies are predicting us finishing third.

https://experimental361.com/2018/06/21/ ... 2-2018-19/

The August fixtures seem fairly comfortable so if we aren’t in top seven by end of August then I think DF will be underperforming.
We might win against Accrington next time, if we ever play them again.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:16 pm

part time pete wrote:Apparently the bookies are predicting us finishing third.

https://experimental361.com/2018/06/21/ ... 2-2018-19/

The August fixtures seem fairly comfortable so if we aren’t in top seven by end of August then I think DF will be underperforming.

Are these the same bookies that had us nailed on Champs last season?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I think we will be 3rd or 4th, just a hunch. I think our starting 11 will be stronger than last season, the only worry is possibly squad depth. I would take top 7 now though. Anything lower would be a big disappointment imo.

A lot weaker for me.

If it’s weaker and we are stronger then I’m happy!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Even fatty didnt have us top 7 in august in fact it took us a few games to get anywhere near it ,flitters needs a season ,and by the way i think hes gonna deliver ,,as they say all talk no action ,remind you of anyone
spanishstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:05 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

A lot weaker for me.

well we got rid of the giants in Luton, and players like Hylton, Collins, berry, Lee etc ripping this league to shreds. Don't think there will be any teams spending as big as they did.

On paper it looks weaker imo
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Flip flop will be history come November my opinion only ..
Billy the fish
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:54 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Flip flop will be history come November my opinion only ..

That’s the spirit.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Jamie wrote:It doesn't matter who we sign or don't sign, its how the team perform and getting those results in. We've seen cheap sides win this league, it can be done...

The bad news for Flitcroft is he needs to hit the ground running this year. We need wins quickly and for some confidence to build.. If we make a poor start everyone will be straight on his back, and rightly so. He's used all his excuses, this will be his team, trained by him. He has to deliver now.

That said, i think realistically the play-offs would be a great season for us given the competition in the league and that our budget will now be more like mid table again.

Why does he need to hit the ground running? It will take three transfer windows to clear out the high earners that the walk away manager left us with.

Not everyone will be on his back, if we make a mediocre start.

I agree the inpatient ones will make it difficult for him if we have a poor start.

Im not aware of him making excuses. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

I agree he has to deliver, but now ? Come on give him a bit of time. He's only been here a short time. It took Ian Greaves two seasons and Paul Cox for that matter.

Promotion would be nice, but for me it's all about progression and seeing two or three youngsters coming through like Lawrence, Disley and Williamson did all those years ago.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Flip flop will be history come November my opinion only ..

Reply rhymes with german banker
spanishstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:36 pm

I’m expecting more dullness from Yorkshire Stag, and also Norman to come out of his sett once the first game is lost.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Jamie wrote:It doesn't matter who we sign or don't sign, its how the team perform and getting those results in. We've seen cheap sides win this league, it can be done...

Not sure we should expect to hit the ground running? Maybe after 15-20 games if we're not planted in the top 10 then it might be time to reassess. It's the manner of the victories or defeats that will probably drive fan feeling.

We should afford DF the same grace we gave Evans - he had a free reign in budget and was a dozen or so games ahead in terms of getting established, and even then it took him half the season to stop hovering between 7th and 12th
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Why does he need to hit the ground running? It will take three transfer windows to clear out the high earners that the walk away manager left us with.

Not everyone will be on his back, if we make a mediocre start.

I agree the inpatient ones will make it difficult for him if we have a poor start.

Im not aware of him making excuses. Perhaps you could enlighten us.

I agree he has to deliver, but now ? Come on give him a bit of time. He's only been here a short time. It took Ian Greaves two seasons and Paul Cox for that matter.

Promotion would be nice, but for me it's all about progression and seeing two or three youngsters coming through like Lawrence, Disley and Williamson did all those years ago.

Wow when was last time you went to the Mill ? :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:18 pm

I would like to see us draw Peterborough at home in any of the cups .... don’t care about result. Just want to see Humpty walk past the Staggies!
West Ham 1969
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum