{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New player number 2 on the way (Bishop Signs)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New player number 2 on the way (Bishop Signs)

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:15 pm

His age is irrelevant really. It's like saying the u21s shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Would you play Phil Stant? Age is irrelavent :think:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I want to be the first to say "his legs have gone" :lol:

We could have signed Paul Green as well! He's only 35.

You really have a think about Paul green
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 pm

thing
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:41 pm

Spiritater wrote:Would you play Phil Stant? Age is irrelavent :think:

Stant lived over road from me. Saw him village pub most nights. Well past it :D :D :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:03 pm

cher wrote:Notts supporter here. Really good signing for you, played loads over the last three seasons for Scunny. A proper fans favourite for us, gave everything and was an absolutely key part of our promotion (sorry!) team.

WowCher!, I mean wow Cher! :P

It's good to see a Pies fan with a fair minded view. I hope you & MatlockPie are keeping well.

You have a decent player in Hemmings. I would have liked him to stay, but he's not an out and out striker.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:49 am

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:17 pm

...Exactly why this is an excellent signing. So many leads were lost or drawn from us not having such an influence on games last season.
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:21 pm

I hope we are not going to have any more of this silly game management nonsense next season. If you sit back and invite pressure then you will inevitably be punished. You need to leave players up front to punish teams late in the game on the counter attack.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I hope we are not going to have any more of this silly game management nonsense next season. If you sit back and invite pressure then you will inevitably be punished. You need to leave players up front to punish teams late in the game on the counter attack.

You've made a leap Jesse Owens would have been proud of! :P
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I hope we are not going to have any more of this silly game management nonsense next season. If you sit back and invite pressure then you will inevitably be punished. You need to leave players up front to punish teams late in the game on the counter attack.

Or just learn to defend efficiently and not have players keep making individual errors
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:57 pm

how dare you criticise Flippys management Darren
get ya tin hat ready........incoming
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Christ have you not had any attention for 5 seconds lets stir it on another thread, don't you get bored?
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:10 pm

kcassellsfootygenius wrote:Christ have you not had any attention for 5 seconds lets stir it on another thread, don't you get bored?

debate young Keith not attention, debate Darren’s point go on ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:32 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:how dare you criticise Flippys management Darren

Everyone's free to criticise, Yorkie. Even those that are wrong ;)
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:41 pm

When does the Yorkie pre-season Tick Tock stopwatch get put away till next window Yorkie? After a certain number of signings, when Akinde is signed, or just the end of the window?
Controlled & Clueless. If this is the big life, well I ain't looking to live it.
@watski
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Marky Mark wrote:When does the Yorkie pre-season Tick Tock stopwatch get put away till next window Yorkie? After a certain number of signings, when Akinde is signed, or just the end of the window?

It temporarily lulls during the build-up of each signing, as if time its self slows down.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:59 pm

How do you differentiate between invited pressure and forced pressure? If a team is after a goal back (you would expect it) then you will be put under the cosh. You've got to take player fitness into consideration. Tiredness during a game is common. No matter how fit a player is they will get tired. If you are expecting us to run continuously for 90 minutes then you will be disappointed. Some players can run 4 or 5 miles a game. He's gonna get knackered at some point and then defend. Players can't run up and down that pitch at full pace all game.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:45 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
kcassellsfootygenius wrote:Christ have you not had any attention for 5 seconds lets stir it on another thread, don't you get bored?

debate young Keith not attention, debate Darren’s point go on ?

I would assume Tippy is making the assumption that game management means sitting back and protecting a lead by the tone of the comment and your obvious inference towards your own dislike of our own manager.

I would argue the game needs managing whether in defence or attack, first minute or last and we have been sadly lacking in that for a while I hope Mr Bishop can deliver that role.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:53 pm

You know ..... it’s almost as if Yorkie WANTS the Stags to fail under DF.

That makes him a proper grumpy trumpet in my book.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:09 pm

I have made that very point several times - I genuinely believe he will be happy if DF fails

Onto the point - every game needs managing even if that means attacking. If you are one nil up you might not defend deep but you might want to keep the ball. I'm not a qualified coach or a football expert but don't think you can score if you don't have the ball. Hopefully Bishop will help ensure we make the right decisions. A great signing for me
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:how dare you criticise Flippys management Darren

But he’s not even doing that. He’s hypothesised in his own mind and criticised Flitcroft for that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:24 pm

I notice Neal Bishop's agent is Lee Philpott who was always hanging around Field Mill when David Holdsworth signed around 70 players.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 pm

We need a 'mid-field general'. His age might be a slight concern, but he has played 30 games in league 1 last season, so provided that he can remain injury free ...... then he looks a decent signing to me. :thumbup:
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 pm

The main evidence to date regarding David Flitcroft's disappointing game management tactics is the Port Vale home game when we sat back against the poorest side to visit Field Mill all season and inevitably conceded an equalizer. I will add a few quotes from Martin's match report:

"With 84 minutes gone, the Stags had a free kick on the left and a chance to get the ball into the box and extend the lead. Ludicrously the Stags only sent two players into the box. The same thing happened two minutes later, a free kick near the corner flag on the right, and the Stags only put one player in the box this time. With four and six minutes to go, this was far too early for such a tactic in my opinion and I said so at the time during commentary. In the final minutes of stoppage time, this tactic does make sense to me but not with so long to go. Even if the Stags had held on, I would have been extremely critical of this at this stage of the game."

"Disaster struck on 89 minutes when Pope stretched to head in after Logan came out to try to stop Dan Turner crossing from the right, and Turner got the ball over the Stags keeper."

I hope we do not see any more of these negative tactics from David Flitcroft next season or he will deserve all the flak that comes his way. He needs to learn from his mistakes and not moan afterwards about players failing to manage games.

Note: Steve Evans also made similar mistakes when he made late substitutions and just sat back. Crewe, Accrington and Barnet (away) and Luton and Exeter (home) come to mind.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum