{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Could be the beer talking.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Could be the beer talking.

Postby Sneag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:51 pm

This time last year I felt an optimism looking into the new season that I hadn't felt since the halcyon days of Smith & Morris. This year I'm feeling very Boam/McEwany.

I know its only 3rd June, but I'm finding it very hard to raise any enthusiasm for shellling out £700 for a couple of season tickets
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Re: Could be the beer talking.

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:21 am

I know a lot of people are thinking that way, but I honestly don't share the pessimism. I think he'll build his own side, implement his system and make us very hard to beat. I don't know if we're good enough for the autos, but I think we'll be top 7.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:32 am

he needs a couple of quality signings this week
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 am

he needs to get to work
old ram stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:22 am

I've heard he's booked another holiday for a fortnight somewhere without a phone signal.....and a four night break with the lads in Benidorm to celebrate pissing off Yorkie.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:30 am

He also said he was going to eat his SIM card, because he couldn't take the chance of even a minute's worth of phone reception
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:33 am

Sneag wrote:This time last year I felt an optimism looking into the new season that I hadn't felt since the halcyon days of Smith & Morris. This year I'm feeling very Boam/McEwany.

I know its only 3rd June, but I'm finding it very hard to raise any enthusiasm for shellling out £700 for a couple of season tickets

Me and thee are usually on the same page fella and I hear what you're saying. I'm certainly in no rush to fork out my own £440.

However, I wasn't one of those suckered by last year's glut of signings. I was mildly excited by it but the Stag-syndrome inside of me expected some sort of pin and balloon episode. It turned out that barring some derby day success (we've not lost a league derby game since our League return anyway) there was very little to warrant that summer hysteria.

I actually think we only need about 4-5 better additions. I certainly won't be bothered if we can't offload some of those on the transfer list, as the majority can do a job for us.

I reckon much of the misery comes from the authors of persistent negative postings on Stagsnet. No names or owt, like.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:37 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:He also said he was going to eat his SIM card, because he couldn't take the chance of even a minute's worth of phone reception

You've heard differently from me. I heard a whisper that he was going to swallow his phone whilst supping a magnum of Cristal. That way whenever it did actually ring he could have a little chuckle to himself whilst reading Stagsnet (which he might not get a signal for either - not a bad thing, hey)
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:21 am

Sneag wrote:This time last year I felt an optimism looking into the new season that I hadn't felt since the halcyon days of Smith & Morris. This year I'm feeling very Boam/McEwany.

I agree with that , can't find any enthusiasm for the season ahead , or find a spare £350 for an ST
a stag is a proud & noble beast
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Hero » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:31 am

I’m getting you Sneag. The disappointment of last season plus the very quiet close season is making August seem less appealing. We feel like a divided club again - manager, players and fans. I normally buy our season tickets with a real sense of anticipation.

This time it feels more like routine or sense of duty!

Hopefully a couple of decent signings, the release of the fixture list and a good World Cup will get my passion back.
Harrington St Hero
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 am

Harrington St Hero wrote:I’m getting you Sneag. The disappointment of last season plus the very quiet close season is making August seem less appealing. We feel like a divided club again - manager, players and fans. I normally buy our season tickets with a real sense of anticipation.

This time it feels more like routine or sense of duty!

Hopefully a couple of decent signings, the release of the fixture list and a good World Cup will get my passion back.

By all accounts we were a divided sqaud under Evans. Flicker is trying to address that and recreate a sense of unity. As for the club being divided, I don't buy that. JR is backing Flicker - proven by the signing of Preston, which wouldn't have come cheap. And as for us fans, well we DO have a duty to keep going (as long as we can afford to). Feeling less optimistic about the season should never be the reason we stop going. The ones of us still going now after all those dark days have seen much worse than this. There's so much to be positive about and the manager needs our backing as much as JR's. If not for him, JR deserves it too.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:46 am

The optimisim will start when the attacking options sign, the pre season friendlies start and fans get the first glimpse of what might be that unforgettable season.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:The optimisim will start when the attacking options sign, the pre season friendlies start and fans get the first glimpse of what might be that unforgettable season.

Also, we'll all be on a buzz after England have won the world cup.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:58 am

:D Just light your Yankee candle and relax :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:00 am

I'm looking forward to this season more than last. I was not taken in by Evans and the least said about his behaviour the better. Hopefully we can remove a few of the higher earners and get a few hungrier players in. More importantly I am more hopeful the new manager will give some of the younger lads a crack. I like Flitcroft.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:06 am

Rob wrote:I'm looking forward to this season more than last. I was not taken in by Evans and the least said about his behaviour the better. Hopefully we can remove a few of the higher earners and get a few hungrier players in. More importantly I am more hopeful the new manager will give some of the younger lads a crack. I like Flitcroft.

:good_post:
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:25 am

Obviously not as easy for everyone to be shelling out £350 or £700 (whatever it is) but if it can be afforded, do it.

We backed the club when we thought we were going to have a great season, but it didn't pan out that way, this season looks a bit more "meh" but will still obviously get one.

I want to see how long it's going to take Flitcroft to actually win a home game
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby abc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Rob wrote:I'm looking forward to this season more than last. I was not taken in by Evans and the least said about his behaviour the better. Hopefully we can remove a few of the higher earners and get a few hungrier players in. More importantly I am more hopeful the new manager will give some of the younger lads a crack. I like Flitcroft.

So you weren't taken in by Evans but you have been by someone who has managed 2 wins in 12 ?
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Don't know how some folk ever became stags fans. On the pitch we are at our typical level. Off it we are in the best position ever. It's the hope that gets you :lol:
Hjeldefan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:48 pm

I love every season all the excitement of new players, tactics and managers it’s only when we start playing it starts to fall down

here’s to a productive week at ta mill
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Doesn’t need to be a productive week - but hopefully it will be .

Why dont you chill out as work will be underway.
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:19 pm

Season ticket bought, looking forward to the fixtures being released, as hopeful as ever.

The difference is this season our optimism is more grounded. This year we do not have a rotund Scottish manure salesman selling us smoke and mirrors.

COYS
I am Spartacus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 88BenM » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:26 pm

It's not even open for debate for me.

My £350 will be winging its way to the club before the opening home game, without a doubt. It's my yearly subscription I see it as, regardless of the entry to the games it brings. We follow one of the most progressive clubs in the entire football pyramid of Great Britain. It is a far cry from the dark days under Haslam. The infrastructure that the owners and directors are putting into place at this proud football club is enough for the £350 from me alone.

Brooksby college, Woburn Road, 3G surface at the mill, FITC, Paul Nyland & his commercial team. Carolyn and her immense media portrayal, John and his continued investment in grass roots. JR, CR & all those involved in recruiting the Hilton Hotel chain and submitting planning permission, the opening of the Matt Salmon treatment room, Stevo and his award winning programme, the Sandy Pate bar staff that keep us all nourished on a match day and beyond. I must have forgotten several things.

£6.73 per month for my annual subscription? Ill have some of that please, championship team or conference team, great value for money at the club we love.
88BenM
First Team
First Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:46 pm

yorkstag wrote:Doesn’t need to be a productive week - but hopefully it will be .

Why dont you chill out as work will be underway.

once we have a top striker bagged i’ll relax a bit
until then not a chance Puddin
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foxy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Same again this season as it was last year and the one before that. Probably flirt with the play offs but ultimately we'll still be in Division 4 this time next season.

I've either gone to, watched, or listened to every game for as long as I can remember but being honest I'm just not feeling it anymore. My enthusiasm has been destroyed.

And if I ever see a certain member of meden event security as I'm going about my lawful business he can get ready cos I'm gonna swing for the raspberry.
Foxy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum