{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Team for new season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Team for new season

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:22 am

Assuming those on the transfer list depart we have the following.

Lee Angol
Mal Benning
CJ Hamilton
Conrad Logan
Jacob Mellis
David Mirfin
Bobby Olejnik
Krystian Pearce
Danny Rose
Omari Sterling-James
Hayden White
Alex MacDonald
Matt Preston

Who would start and which areas need recruitment for the first team.

Logan

White - Preston - Pearce - Benning

MacDonald - Mellis - New Player - Hamilton

Rose - New Player

Would be my team and highlights the same gaps we had last season.

A prolific striker
A midfield general that gives Mellis free reign to play.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 am

Pretty much agree with your team.

I think mellis has the ability to be a great player if we can get him motivated and playing well in a team. As you say, we need a midfielder to let mellis do what he does best rather than trying to be a ball winner when he's never been one.

We need a couple strikers, a fresh start for the central midfield and a some backup for LB/RB and maybe a couple more CB's
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4097
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:55 am

we need a bloody goal scorer like we have for several seasons, that i do blame fat lad for !
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7955
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:14 am

Macca out wide is a problem. I think we would benefit from a 3 in midfield being; macca mellis and a newby.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby ParisStag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 am

yorkshire stag wrote:we need a bloody goal scorer like we have for several seasons, that i do blame fat lad for !


Angol
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4352
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Team for new season

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:25 am

ParisStag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:we need a bloody goal scorer like we have for several seasons, that i do blame fat lad for !


Angol


Angols career will pass him by and he will look back with regret that he didnt try harder.

It would be great if our 25 goal a season striker was at the blub, but i doubt its him. He isnt the answer.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:26 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:we need a bloody goal scorer like we have for several seasons, that i do blame fat lad for !


Angol


Angols career will pass him by and he will look back with regret that he didnt try harder.

It would be great if our 25 goal a season striker was at the blub, but i doubt its him. He isnt the answer.

Way to write someone off at the age of 23.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12299
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby edwinscott » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:33 am

4-2-3-1

Logan
White KP Preston Benning
New player new player
Macca Mellis Angol/Hamilton
Rose
edwinscott
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 am

Re: Team for new season

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:54 am

Stags 2002 wrote:Assuming those on the transfer list depart we have the following.

Lee Angol
Mal Benning
CJ Hamilton
Conrad Logan
Jacob Mellis
David Mirfin
Bobby Olejnik
Krystian Pearce
Danny Rose
Omari Sterling-James
Hayden White
Alex MacDonald
Matt Preston

Who would start and which areas need recruitment for the first team.

Logan

White - Preston - Pearce - Benning

MacDonald - Mellis - New Player - Hamilton

Rose - New Player

Would be my team and highlights the same gaps we had last season.

A prolific striker
A midfield general that gives Mellis free reign to play.


There's the problem, the same midfield with the same lack of goals
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby Foxy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:21 pm

If you constantly criticise Lee Angol

Does that make you an Angol Grinder?

(I do not give my permission for radio or commentators to use this joke)
User avatar
Foxy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: At the Coop

Re: Team for new season

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:Assuming those on the transfer list depart we have the following.

Lee Angol
Mal Benning
CJ Hamilton
Conrad Logan
Jacob Mellis
David Mirfin
Bobby Olejnik
Krystian Pearce
Danny Rose
Omari Sterling-James
Hayden White
Alex MacDonald
Matt Preston

Who would start and which areas need recruitment for the first team.

Logan

White - Preston - Pearce - Benning

MacDonald - Mellis - New Player - Hamilton

Rose - New Player

Would be my team and highlights the same gaps we had last season.

A prolific striker
A midfield general that gives Mellis free reign to play.


There's the problem, the same midfield with the same lack of goals


Think we need another left winger for competition for CJ on top of that as well.
No Breaks Allowed
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:49 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:we need a bloody goal scorer like we have for several seasons, that i do blame fat lad for !


Angol


Angols career will pass him by and he will look back with regret that he didnt try harder.

It would be great if our 25 goal a season striker was at the blub, but i doubt its him. He isnt the answer.

Way to write someone off at the age of 23.


Not at all. Not written him off but dependability is more important than ability. To date we have not been able to depend on him. Ability without dependability is a liability.

In the words of your idol "Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, is the key to unlocking potential." - Winston Churchill.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby yorkstag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Angol is unfairly criticised.

He will score goals if played
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Angol is not unfairly criticised.

He will not score enough goals as he is lazy & should only be used from the bench, my god man can you really not see we need a bloody goal scorer who can finish next season ?
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7955
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Angol is not unfairly criticised.

He will not score enough goals as he is lazy & should only be used from the bench, my god man can you really not see we need a bloody goal scorer who can finish next season ?


:) yes you are right

;) We need one of proven goal scorers out there .
That as been our problem since being back in the league.

;) I wonder who NORMANS whipping boy is going to be in the new season

Spencer last season :) he as gone

Green season before :) he as gone

New season , i wonder who ????????????

I will go for 4 games in before he drops one out :lol: :lol:
User avatar
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Team for new season

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:00 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Angol is not unfairly criticised.

He will not score enough goals as he is lazy & should only be used from the bench, my god man can you really not see we need a bloody goal scorer who can finish next season ?



we remember rose under Murray, never looked like a 15+ goal a season striker. angol is of similar age and has potential. I think he'll play an important part this season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4097
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Angols strike rate is better than the rest of the forwards from last season I gather, so the criticism is a little unfair.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby part time pete » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:37 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Angols strike rate is better than the rest of the forwards from last season I gather, so the criticism is a little unfair.


All three, Rose, Angol and Hemmings all about same at taking chances


https://experimental361.files.wordpress ... &h=&zoom=2
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 5256
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 am

If Angol is given the role of starting striker, he'll score more than either Rose or Hemmings managed this season. I don't understand the hate for him.
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4352
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Team for new season

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:30 am

no hate he just isn’t good enough, someone nails his boots to the floor every game, far to lazy never chases the ball down ever, fgs you are having a laugh right ?
he most definitely is NOT the answer next season 100% not

we need a goal scorer said it season after season after season
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7955
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Team for new season

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:01 am

:D The one striker i would go for would be is John Akinde.
He is 28 and is a goal scorer.
got injured ,then when returning was just showing signs in the last few games he was returning TO his best.
Be worth taking a chance on him if we can get him razor sharp for the new season..
He also a good penalty taker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Akinde

:D A little teaser for you :D





Last edited by STAGS FOR LIFE on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Team for new season

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:28 am

Can’t disagree with the team listen at present but there are only 13 players if flitcroft ships out the ones he wants so you’d want to try and bring in players to beat 7 or 8 of them into the first 11.

For me the key places to improve are:
2 strikers - 1 big man & 1 fox in the box.
Commanding centre mid
Creative/goalscoring midfielder probably a winger.
Right back
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Team for new season

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:39 am

yorkshire stag wrote:no hate he just isn’t good enough, someone nails his boots to the floor every game, far to lazy never chases the ball down ever, fgs you are having a laugh right ?
he most definitely is NOT the answer next season 100% not

we need a goal scorer said it season after season after season


With respect, you are wrong.

He's 23 and scored at a good rate last season considering the game time he had. He's never going to be a complete player at that age. Matt Green was 26 before he managed that goal tally over a season. Angol has shown enough promise for me to believe that he'll be a very good player one day and will probably keep improving each season. By playing him and giving him those opportunities, he will do well for us and one day allow us to make some money from him.
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4352
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: Team for new season

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:24 pm

:)

User avatar
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Team for new season

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:39 pm

So glad it's 'Akinde will sign for us' open season again! :D

If it's so obvious we need a striker, then it must be virtually kicking people in the chops to realise that he sticks to playing for clubs dahn sarf?

Alfreton aside, he's practically as much a southerner as Del Boy. You'll need more than a few people dressed as Beefeaters or a Red London bus to tempt him up here :P

...Akinde at stags! The joke that keeps on giving :lol:
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admiral Sook, HCurtis, Madstagsfan2, northern stag, Stoney, x-type and 25 guests