{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players still under contract but not wanted

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players still under contract but not wanted

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:27 pm

End of the day, these guys are professionals. If they are still with us after the window shuts, then they have to get on with it and work to get in team and earn a move in January if Flitcroft still doesn’t want them by then. Like someone else has put, I’d like to keep them, because they are good players at this level, and maybe a pre-season with Flitcroft and a few new signings might get them going.
No Breaks Allowed
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Yeah, but if the rumours suggesting DF is a stubborn so and so, then I can see him just not playing them and letting them train with the kids.
We might win against Accrington next time, if we ever play them again.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Players still under contract but not wanteda

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Didn’t flip flop say he had to get rid of one or two bad apples & Anderson was mentioned ?
Atkinson legs have gone way to slow
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:47 pm

If they dont go i am sure he can loan them out for a year and get some of their wages paid, they also may realise that to continue their career in football they need to show someting more than they did last season.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Conker » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Paul Anderson is the complete opposite of a bad apple, he's just not in his plans.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Conker wrote:Paul Anderson is the complete opposite of a bad apple, he's just not in his plans.

wasn’t Anderson the one who was banished to train with the kids and accused of being the bad apple in the barrel no?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:09 pm

It’s a football managers way of getting rid of someone they don’t like or is paid too much than they think they are worth by making it uncomfortable for them. In any other industry it would be called ‘constructive dismissal ‘
We might win against Accrington next time, if we ever play them again.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Rob wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:They are hardly the worst players in the world and many other League 2 sides would like them. I think the main problem is that David Flitcroft thinks he can players who are better value for money. If they are still here then they can all do a job for us.

That's just the point, I don't think any of them are bad players at all, indeed a few seasons ago we would have been thrilled to have had most of them. The problem is, if what we are led to believe, is that they are on high wages (poss not Hunt) and as you say DF thinks he can bring in better for less. Evans scatter gun approach, sign him at any cost, has cost JR a lot of money and may mean DF isn't able to build entirely his own squad.

Ah Rob your hatred knows no bounds :lol: blaming Evans already for this season too.

So you don’t think there’s a knock on into this season if the new manager is stuck with players who he doesn’t rate ?

Of course there is but if he's a decent manager and he can't move them on he needs to get the best out of them like Evans did (barring Butcher), if this leads to a smaller budget if he's a decent manager he'll do a Coleman.
If he carries on as he started, getting the worst out of them he'll be gone by November.

And why do you think he won’t ? He’ll try to shape the players he has, and if he’s left with players that weren’t his first choice, I’m certain he’ll play the hand he’s been dealt.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:13 pm

part time pete wrote:Yeah, but if the rumours suggesting DF is a stubborn so and so, then I can see him just not playing them and letting them train with the kids.

Not saying it’s not true but where did you hear this ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:27 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
part time pete wrote:Yeah, but if the rumours suggesting DF is a stubborn so and so, then I can see him just not playing them and letting them train with the kids.

Not saying it’s not true but where did you hear this ?

I don't think it's true at all. Anderson is one I wouldn't be too upset if he stayed.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:47 pm

The only problem with Anderson is his excessive wages for the role he will play, he's certainly good enough to be part of a promotion winning squad.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:21 pm

For me all of the transfer listed are capable of playing a part if they are up for it

Yes even Butcher …..he played in a Div 1 promotion winning team
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Hopefully David Flitcroft is not going to resort to the bully boy tactics of making players train with the youth team and requiring players to make long journeys into the club to do some training or fitness sessions on their own. He needs to involve the transfer listed players in the squad and set them a few challenges. They might surprise him.

Paul Anderson has always seemed a very decent bloke to me. I cannot see how he could be described as a bad apple.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:13 am

I've had a bad apple before and it looked nothing like Paul Anderson - it was fine on one side but on the opposite the skin was bruised, the flesh had gone black and an iddy biddy maggot kept popping its head out. Hangin.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:20 am

I think the ‘bad apples’ were players that told flitcroft a few Home truths about throwing the chance of an automatic spot and then a play off spot down the toilet due to unnecessary changes.

I’m behind flitcroft’s style as it began to create chances the last few games of the season which is promising for this year but it was terrible timing last year. I know we can blame Evans for part but it feels simple to keep the winning formula and make changes at the end of the season?
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:11 am

Jimstag wrote:I think the ‘bad apples’ were players that told flitcroft a few Home truths about throwing the chance of an automatic spot and then a play off spot down the toilet due to unnecessary changes.

I’m behind flitcroft’s style as it began to create chances the last few games of the season which is promising for this year but it was terrible timing last year. I know we can blame Evans for part but it feels simple to keep the winning formula and make changes at the end of the season?

There was no substance to Evans style though. His 'winning formula' was scaring his players and the officials into getting him results.

Flicker has to create his own team and implement his own style, which is made all the more difficult given that Evans left him with a disjointed, overpaid and divided squad.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:25 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Hopefully David Flitcroft is not going to resort to the bully boy tactics of making players train with the youth team and requiring players to make long journeys into the club to do some training or fitness sessions on their own. He needs to involve the transfer listed players in the squad and set them a few challenges. They might surprise him.

Paul Anderson has always seemed a very decent bloke to me. I cannot see how he could be described as a bad apple.

Is there any evidence at all to suggest any of this? I think folk are making things up, which occasionally happens on here :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:46 pm

Rob i’m sure it was mentioned on here who his “bad apples” are !

Have to agree, he always came across as a real gent!

Here’s hoping we get some movement this week
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Rob, I agree with you mate, Anderson and dare I say Digby are worth keeping for their versatility.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:04 pm

I wouldn't be too upset if either of those started the season with us.
Rigsby
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Vice President » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I could never understand the Butcher situation. A player previously from a championship club then wanting to go and play in non-league for the rest of the season because he is apparently homesick., when he could have commuted. I wonder if we might be able to terminate his contract under the circumstances? He doesn't want to play for us, and we have made 'reasonable adjustments' by accommodating him playing for the team of his choice for a significant part of his contract to date.
Vice President
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Not sure he's any more stubborn than Cox's habitual aerial bombardment, or Murray's perpetual negativity, or indeed Evan's unerring stubbornness to accept he might be wrong.

Every manager is stubborn to some degree or other if you ask me. I won't change my view on that, cos I'm as stubborn as the rest of you! ;)
Perfection took almost a week before I mastered it
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:32 pm

There was no substance to Evans style though. His 'winning formula' was scaring his players and the officials into getting him results.

Flicker has to create his own team and implement his own style, which is made all the more difficult given that Evans left him with a disjointed, overpaid and divided squad.[/quote]

Agree that Flitcrofts style is more pleasing from my perspective and will get behind him this coming season. I’m also not referring to Evan’s bullying nature more the team setup and more directness and service into rose who didn’t score many when flitcroft came in.
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:44 pm

Jimstag wrote:There was no substance to Evans style though. His 'winning formula' was scaring his players and the officials into getting him results.

Flicker has to create his own team and implement his own style, which is made all the more difficult given that Evans left him with a disjointed, overpaid and divided squad.

Agree that Flitcrofts style is more pleasing from my perspective and will get behind him this coming season. I’m also not referring to Evan’s bullying nature more the team setup and more directness and service into rose who didn’t score many when flitcroft came in.[/quote]

Excellent post :mtfc:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 am

Jimstag wrote:There was no substance to Evans style though. His 'winning formula' was scaring his players and the officials into getting him results.

Agree that Flitcrofts style is more pleasing from my perspective and will get behind him this coming season. I’m also not referring to Evan’s bullying nature more the team setup and more directness and service into rose who didn’t score many when flitcroft came in.[/quote]

There's no point in Flitcroft adopting another manager's style though. Most managers aren't tactically adaptable to multiple styles. They have one or two tactics and put everything into trying to perfect those. I think that was Adam Murray's failing as a coach. He clearly didn't want to be a long-ball merchant, but he recognised the success of Cox's style and tried to find a middle ground rather than fully stamping his own brand on the team. Flicker needs to stick to his guns and do what works best for him and has got him a promotion from this level in the past.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum